Petition to change Construct3 subscription payment

From the Asset Store
Angry Zombies - HTML5 Game (Construct 2 & Construct3)

You know, a monthly subscription option would solve a lot of these issues people are mentioning here.

Problem: I don't want to lose access to editing my game because I no longer have a yearly subscription.

Solution: Pay monthly. You pay $10 for the month you need to fix and edit your game.

Problem: $99 too expensive.

Solution: Pay monthly. You pay $10 a month for the months you can afford it. Unsubscribe for the months you can't pay.

Problem: $10 a month is too expensive.

Solution: $10 a month only amounts to a little more than 33 cents a day. Maybe consider unsubscribing to Netflix for a month, or skip two morning coffees at Starbucks to make up the difference. Maybe take the time you are not subscribed to plan your game out better to take full advantage of your time when you subscribe.

Problem: I refuse to pay at all for a subscription.

Solution: We regret to hear that, but maybe C3 isn't the best solution for you at this time. Thank you so much for all of your support. It has meant a lot to us. Please check back often to see what we are up to. You might be convinced in the near future by the strength of C3, the numerous updates we are making to it, and the marvelous games others are creating with our software. But if not, best of luck on your future endeavors! You will be sorely missed.

(I said it would solve a lot of the problems. Not all of them)

Only but a few want to support a sub for C2 in a browser.

Read the last blog and the real C3 is years away.

And this thing will always only run on chrome, just try open C3 in any other browser and read the notice you get.

I do have a few subs - CC being one.

But I will never pay a sub to be forced to use a browser for dev, and definitely not to be locked to Google. For some reason Scirra thinks it is cool to be tied to 3rd parties that have in the past and will in the future break things....

Really......

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

By the way, on a side note: how is it possible that a user collects 11,242 gold medals, is 21001 days online in a row while he/she only registered 74 days ago, and has an insane 5,621,827 reputation points?

And only one post in this thread?

scirra.com/users/20170217

The fanatic medal is broken (probably among others). I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have any.

Only but a few want to support a sub for C2 in a browser.

Unless you have actual reasons why you don't want to use a browser, why does this point of view matter? The browser can do a great deal of what native apps can do now, e.g. offline support, use local projects, import C2 projects, hide browser UI by adding to desktop, etc. etc. Usually "I don't want to use a browser" comes down to incorrect assumptions like "I don't want to have to be online", when it already works today offline, and so on.

[quote:2e7gh1j9]And this thing will always only run on chrome, just try open C3 in any other browser and read the notice you get.

Perhaps you missed our progress on the Firefox port.

Ashley , one question, as we know that in 2-3 years is not going to raise the price of C3?

Is there any guarantee that the prices will be respected?

Nobody is "locked out" of their projects. When your subscription expires, it will be the same as opening a project in the free edition of C2. You can still open it and run it, you can see your events, open sprites and extract your artwork and animations, and even preview it to play it. The main thing you can't do is edit it or export it. You can see exactly how it works by opening Kiwi Story in the free edition of C3. It exceeds the free edition limits but you can still look around the project, access all the artwork and assets, and preview it. Your own projects would work similarly if your subscription was not renewed.

I think people talking about being "locked out" or "holding projects hostage" are deliberately trying to make it sound worse than it is. It's the same as going back to the free edition of C2.

Not being able to work on it = Locked out

You can look at it, but not do much of anything else

It's like being in a cell, you can still look what's beyond the bars, but you are still behind them.

Stop trying to make it look like it isn't so, because it quite obviously is exactly that

I guess the only plus of the free edition is the showing part - being able to show off construct3 and how awesome it is

Look I know you wont listen to any petitions and probably lock all of these petition threads eventually. But at least I want to state why subscriptions suck for game development - especially for freelancers and indie devs. I think your claim of not locking developers out is just misleading- developers develop, they wont have much use in just opening a project they worked on if they cant edit it.

It benefits only scirra to use the projects to show off the engine and help you improve it.

Specifically construct3's subscription is designed in that way.

Some other game engine subscriptions dont have these restrictions. Instead the exporter stops working for some platforms and also lose access to the latest and greatest (stencyl's) , but still having at least one for testing. So the dev can still work on it even when it runs out - but they still have the motivation to buy it when the have to export the game to a target platform.

Added to that I think construct3's sub deal is actually pretty bad compared to other sub deals out there, but hey it's just my opinion.

I might look like I am pulling this claim out of my robot behind, but it really looks that way once you look at the other game engines.

I stopped posting links, because I found that gets a thread locked and me warned, so use google damnit

I dont like the deal, it's a bad deal. If it was less restrictive like stencyl's - i would probably give c3 a good chance

Is this still this going ? Haven't you realized already that if Ashley/Scirra wanted, they could offer C3 + exporters offline, like they are already doing with C2 + NW.js, and keep the subscription only for the online browser (for Chromebook, Android, iPad ... etc) ? It is all about money

It is a middle finger to older users that hoped to get a more professional tool, but actually a great business decision: Why compete on desktop where are lots of other better engines when you can have a niche market like Chromebooks, iPads with zero competition.

Also, from all the markets, the iPhone/iPad users will probably spend 100$ without second thoughts.

So yeah, Fusion 3 is looking batter and better, or if you are more serious and can code, Unity/Unreal are also a good (free) alternative

Is this still this going ? Haven't you realized already that if Ashley/Scirra wanted, they could offer C3 + exporters offline, like they are already doing with C2 + NW.js, and keep the subscription only for the online browser (for Chromebook, Android, iPad ... etc) ? It is all about money

It is a middle finger to older users that hoped to get a more professional tool, but actually a great business decision: Why compete on desktop where are lots of other better engines when you can have a niche market like Chromebooks, iPads with zero competition.

Also, from all the markets, the iPhone/iPad users will probably spend 100$ without second thoughts.

So yeah, Fusion 3 is looking batter and better, or if you are more serious and can code, Unity/Unreal are also a good (free) alternative

I don't think they will. Construct 3 does not work on iOS. (iPad/iPhone)

Or just stick with C2 which you can continue to use for free if youve already paid for it?

>

> So yeah, Fusion 3 is looking batter and better, or if you are more serious and can code, Unity/Unreal are also a good (free) alternative

>

Or just stick with C2 which you can continue to use for free if youve already paid for it?

The problem is mainly that C2 games break overtime due to browser compatiblity isssues,construct2 games on newgrounds and whatnot just instantly freeze nowadays,So with scirra gradually phasing out development on c2 to work on c3,c2 will become useless

I guess most people here don't have a creative cloud subscription. Once you subscribe and see the benefits, it's really hard to go back.

Once you subscribe and see the benefits, it's really hard to go back.

You might say it's impossible to go back, lol.

The problem is mainly that C2 games break overtime due to browser compatiblity isssues,construct2 games on newgrounds and whatnot just instantly freeze nowadays,So with scirra gradually phasing out development on c2 to work on c3,c2 will become useless

https://goo.gl/q9OS2y

(...) But at least I want to state why subscriptions suck for game development - especially for freelancers and indie devs. I think your claim of not locking developers out is just misleading- developers develop, they wont have much use in just opening a project they worked on if they cant edit it.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

I'm afraid to post things like that because my posts will seem very emotional as many others' do and I don't want to be banned. But I hardly come here anymore. Only to see if Ashley and team have changed their ideas. And they won't.

But the reason we get so emotional is that... well, most of us have an emotional bond to Construct 1, 2 and Scirra. And Scirra is/was a great company. I don't know what happened to make them change their minds. Subscriptions suck for indie games dev. Ditto. This is fact. The competition - and we're talking about Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, GMStudio, etc. - understands that. But that's Scirra's decision. And I must respect it because because it's a wonderful company that always was very close to the community.

Peace everybody.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)