Pathfinding behavior missing a few "key" features... IMO of course

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Units do not overlap each other and use different ways if there are several free ways.
  • It would be good to be able to edit a pathfinding cell directly. You can ask conditionally about whether or not a cell is an obstacle, but you can't query the movement cost or edit it directly.

Both of these things are important. as it stands, if you want to update the collision cells, you have to calculate them. This is overkill when you already know what cells you want changed. Likewise with editing movement path costs... you have to sometimes clear the whole map just to make a few changes and you also can't decrease a cells cost.

Tagged:

• There is an addon for pathfinding on a tilemap called EasyStarJS. Not only it's much faster, it has tons of features and allows to mark specific tiles as obstacles, change their cost etc.

• There is an addon for pathfinding on a tilemap called EasyStarJS. Not only it's much faster, it has tons of features and allows to mark specific tiles as obstacles, change their cost etc.

This is for c2 yeah? I remember using it. There isn't one for c3 is there? I already switched back over to unity for the project so its semi moot at this point though.

I needed oneway, modifiable pathcosts per unit, etc... Creating a whole behavior in c3 when I can do faster in unity just made it a no brainer.

• There's a C3 version in that link; I've been using it for a few months and it's been great!

Check out page 10 in the thread for the most recent version

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • try making your own pathfinding with events !! You'll gain lots of experience and improve your skills !

• try making your own pathfinding with events !! You'll gain lots of experience and improve your skills !

I mean... I can already tell you it will probably perform very poorly built on top of the event system (unless maps are really small or agents limited), will be a headache to scale, will be hard to move to other projects, etc...

Code is fast, flexible, and elegant. Construct events are... well... nice for easy tie things together, but not searching a graph tree.

Don't get me wrong, I like events, there is a good reason why I always try to circle back to construct every so often... but I learned along time ago that if the tools out of the box don't have what you need, you are much better off spending your time in an environment focused on the code (Unity, Unreal, Mono, Phaser, take your pick).

It would be a good challenge for someone not familiar with events/coding or pathfinding algorithms, or just someone wanting to say they did... But none of those apply to me and would take longer than just coding it. I'm looking for easy here, not because I lack skills but because I lack time. Which is why, like I said I always come back to construct. It has the allure of promised fast prototyping, a more simple workflow, better asset pipeline for 2d... I use construct when it can do the job more easily than other tools.

• There's a C3 version in that link; I've been using it for a few months and it's been great!

Check out page 10 in the thread for the most recent version

SOWEET. Thanks, i missed it. Gonna give it a go!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)