Need help on fixing a game slow down/lagging bug

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Whenever the game is open for longer than a minute or so, moving left or right causes the game to slow down, and the effect is worse the longer the game is open. I'm still fairly new to Construct as this is my first game but I cannot figure out what's causing this. I've tried looking at the debug view but couldn't find anything.

I linked the game and it includes the .c3p file if anyone is willing to help.

construct.net/en/free-online-games/shifting-point-53686/play

Tagged:

• I tested the game and didn't notice any slowdowns. Checking out the c3p there doesn't seem to be anything obvious that could cause the issue.

You'll need to do some proper debugging on your side. Disable events until there isn't any slowdown, and then work back from there. Also look into objects which might be spawning constantly, excessive visual effects, or an endless loop somewhere.

Game looks great btw!

• Hi.

I'm testing the game.

The bug is very difficult to repeat. I have not figured out how to repeat it stably.

I'm continuing my research.

• I got tired of playing, never could consistently call the bug.

Sometimes I had a frame drop on the second level when moving left and right. At the same time the CPU and video card load was small 5-15%. I did not find a large creation of objects, too.

Sometimes I could pass two levels without a bug.

Find a way to consistently repeat the bug and we will help you.

• The slowdown start after the game is open for a while, I guess longer than a minute as my original post said. About 3-5 minutes maybe.

I can consistently cause the bug every time the game is open for too long.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I can't get the bug to work consistently.

On the screenshot of the time.

• Oh that's really weird. I guess it might just be my computer, which is weird because it's a decently powerful PC.

Shifting (pressing space) can fix the current freeze that happens too so the game is kinda playable. Thanks for trying guys!

• The game does slow down for me here when I leave it running for a while. (MacBook Pro, Chrome)

I don't know if it'll help, but there are some parts of your code that are constantly running and may not need to.

You could put some of these things into event groups, and enable/disable them only when the checks make sense, like the dialog code. Other things, like the fallspeed, might only be necessary when the platform condition "Is Falling" is true.

It could be something more technical; maybe there's something in the debugger that can provide clues?

• It's strange to me.

It looks more like a problem with chrome and its video memory.

I haven't found very problematic places in the code.

Try removing empty space on all large sprites.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)