Does the Multiplayer Shooter still work?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other
  • So I might make a small online game that I will probably just build off of the tutorial for the top down online shooter, and I was wondering if it still works, since a lot of the comments on that tutorial say that it doesn't work for them.

So does it still work or is it outdated?

• It does work. Still i would not recommend official multiplayer plugin usage for a real time shooter. As far as for smooth experience in such games latency should be not higher than ~100 ms, which is hard to achieve with this kind of an architecture (direct p2p with NAT traversal).

Best solution i found so far is a WebSockets and Node.JS backend.

In this case you are fully responsible on hosting it where you want, maintaining it as you want, developing server logic as you want. Which is relativly hard, but gives you 100% of control over you product.

In case if you don't want to dive into it - there is a less complicated option - Photon Engine, still using it you are relying entirely on their services availability. So if they have lags - you have lags, and there is barely anything you can do about it.

If it's a really small game with no competition, or you can afford to have 100 ms desync you can actually go with official plugin, it does work perfectly if really low latency is not required.

• I was maybe thinking about Photon, but I just haven't decided yet because

1) The link (https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/addons/534/photon-engine-c3) has basically no documentation/steps so I have no idea how to actually add it

2) if i used photon would I need to rework a bunch of the events from the shooter tutorial to get it working?

• Download photon addon from official site photonengine.com/sdks

There is a latest version.

There are quite clear examples comming with an addon.

Photon does not implement complex multiplayer logic, it just provides you a way to send some data between all the clients. I.e. for each player every 0.15 seconds you send event to move player , with data "Player.X | Player.Y | Player.ID" when anybody receive this event, he moves required sprite to coordinates received.

You can send anything as the data, even binary if required.

• Ok, thanks. I'll experiment a bit with Photon and see if I want to make a game with it.

• Wait after clicking the link I don't see C3 anywhere, just C2. Will it still work?

• Yes, there is a .c3addon file in a zip for c3

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok thanks :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)