Does the mobile advert plugin support admob mediation and/or new bidding?

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • Hi! On Admob are settings to add multiple networks for different ads with different payments. Does the mobile advert plugin support other ads configured via the admob website or just the AdMob network?

And there are new bidding options (beta) where ads "bid" and the one with the highest bid is shown to maximize how much you earn.

Are there any plans to add these new options to the plugin?

regards

Tagged:

• Open bidding will not work. Scirras mobile advert has not been updated in a long time and is now outdated. They will have to update the plugin. Who knows when or even if they will do it...

• Scirras mobile advert has not been updated in a long time and is now outdated.

And IAP plugin doesn't even support subscriptions. It's frustrating how little attention Scirra gives to monetization plugins. Not all people are developing games as a hobby.

• To be honest, I would rather pay an extra separate subscription fee for an up to date plugin, so as to enable scirra to direct funds to this.

Just have 2 versions

Basic ( included with subscription)

Pro ( Subscription + Extra(£))

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • To be honest, I would rather pay an extra separate subscription fee for an up to date plugin, so as to enable scirra to direct funds to this.

I would too.

• We already pay a subscription. Why should we have to pay an additional fee?

For the life of me I can't understand why Scirra don't afford a higher priority to the MobileAds and iAP plugins. They have to be two of the most used C3 plugins. They are one of the few proven methods C3 devs can use to monetize their games. And yet they are allowed to become outdated and Scirra don't bother to implement all the available features either (subscriptions etc).. why are they not given higher priority?

• Scirras mobile advert has not been updated in a long time and is now outdated.

And IAP plugin doesn't even support subscriptions. It's frustrating how little attention Scirra gives to monetization plugins. Not all people are developing games as a hobby.

We already pay a subscription. Why should we have to pay an additional fee?

For the life of me I can't understand why Scirra don't afford a higher priority to the MobileAds and iAP plugins. They have to be two of the most used C3 plugins. They are one of the few proven methods C3 devs can use to monetize their games. And yet they are allowed to become outdated and Scirra don't bother to implement all the available features either (subscriptions etc).. why are they not given higher priority?

+1

I totally agree

98% of the games that people been (releasing & showing) were for mobile (Android & iOS) it's very clear is the most used platform in C3, it deserves more attention as many people don't use it for just a hobby as they mentioned above. If I have to guess there will be more people using c3 for Busines than Hobby due to the C3 subscription model.

And also if I could add something its update the "Notch" plugin to detect on which side is the notch located so we can adapt the screen accordingly.

• Uh, just to clarify, besides the subscription feature, do these monetisation plugins work correctly? Are they not being maintainted at all?

I planned to use Mobile IAP at some point and this thread made me confused about the level of maintenance for official Scirra plugins. I've never monetised any previous projects before.

I really rather not rely on any third-party plugins either, as this has burned me in the past.

• Obviously nobody wants to pay more for their C3 Subscription, but if the core functionality that you rely on is lacking, then what is the alternative.

https://www.projectsmart.co.uk/project-management-scope-triangle.php

Actually just looking at it I think there are only a handful of developers at Scirra . https://www.construct.net/en/team, so maintaining a 'One Size fits all' approach, must be incredibly difficult.

• Both the IAP and ad plugins are maintained and should be up-to-date (apart from Mobile Ads not using the very latest version of the ads SDK, which AFAIK is not a problem for the time being).

There are additional hurdles to some features - for example IAP subscriptions involves running a server to verify subscriptions. This is very difficult to support in software that's meant to run 100% client-side. Who runs the server?

These plugins are also some of the most difficult and time-consuming plugins to develop. We're a small team with limited resources, and it's already painful the amount of time that gets sucked in to things like debugging ad issues (which often are just mistakes in events or people misconfiguring the AdMob side of things), and maintaining them to keep them up-to-date with changes. I know these addons are important to a lot of people. But they are not your only choices: there are already several third-party addons out there, some of them commercial, which provide lots of extra monetisation options - for example see addons in the Asset Store and the monetization category on the Addon Exchange. This is exactly what we intend with the addon system: to make sure you're not limited to just what we offer - anyone can make things like extra ad/monetization plugins, including covering lots of different kinds of ad services, which you can choose between.

• There are additional hurdles to some features - for example IAP subscriptions involves running a server to verify subscriptions.

Isn't Google Play verifying the subscriptions?

We're a small team with limited resources

And it's impressive how much you've achieved with these limited resources! However, I'm guessing your customer base has grown significantly in the past few years. Do you have plans to to extend your team and hire new people?

• Both the IAP and ad plugins are maintained and should be up-to-date

It is a bit surprisingly to read this statement to be honest.

Regarding IAP. There has been bug fixes for the Google Billing Library in v3.0.1 (released 2020-09-30) and also in v3.0.3 (released 2021-03-12) which both could affect cordova builds afaik. The Scirra IAP plugin uses v3.0.0 of the Google Billing library. (I believe this should be easy to just update.)

Regarding consent SDK (part of Mobile Advert plugin) there has been a lot of changes here, the one which is part of the Scirra Mobile Advert is classified as "Deprecated", and is actually marked with a red warning text on the Google dev pages that is is deprecated and is no longer even maintained, at all. It does not comply with the actual regulations and should not be used. Google has released their UMP SDK a long time ago, which is the one to use now.

Regarding Admob SDK (also part of the Mobile Advert plugin) Google has made a lot of changes for the different ads, most of which was released in v19.2-19.7. Even if your plugin has used the latest SDK you have not updated to the latest methods. It was in the release of v20 that Google finally removed the old deprecated ads, which basically made the Mobile Advert to fail totally..

Google had released documentation how to prepare for the v20 update, which was obviously not implemented by Scirra.

To state that your use of any of these three SDKs are "up-to-date" is just not correct.

(Edit: And there has been just as many changes for the iOS SDKs as for the Android ones mentioned above)

• I also want the c3 team to care more about updating these plugins. Obviously, if you want to be more professional, c3 should aim to be a good money-making engine, not just to make games. This is beneficial to all parties.

• Many thanks Ashley, glad that they work!

The third party addon thing...

I moved to C3 with the intention to strictly use the official plugins only, so that I can get optimal support from Scirra if any issues arise, and not need to mess around with removing plugins to submit bug reports and such. Makes it easier for everyone.

It would be confusing to try to use third party plugins when there's official plugins that are advertised and documented from Scirra. If someone had an issue that came from using a third party plugin that already exists as an official plugin, then I would have thought Scirra would think "why are you using a third party plugin, we have an official one!" like if people tried to use the ported Paster plugin, surely we would be strongly advised to use the Drawing Canvas plugin as it's official.

There's definitely trustworthy developers out there, but I'd hate if I misjudged, or the cost is high to buy the plugins, and buying a third party plugin doesn't guarantee support or that it will continue to be updated. Whereas it is the opposite for official plugins (free to use any of them, support is given, updated often, bug report system that applies to all official plugins, etc.)

• Regarding IAP. There has been bug fixes for the Google Billing Library in v3.0.1 (released 2020-09-30) and also in v3.0.3 (released 2021-03-12) which both could affect cordova builds afaik.

Sure, all software libraries regularly update, and we periodically update the versions we use too. Minor updates like this tend to just be routine maintenance and so not something we have to rush updates out for. IAP also uses cordova-plugin-purchase internally, and we're up-to-date with the latest version of that (v10.5.0). It's not easy to update further than that Cordova plugin supports, but it's regularly maintained and it looks like they're already working on an update with Google Billing Library v3.0.3, so it will get updated in the end. This is all pretty normal for a software library.

Regarding consent SDK (part of Mobile Advert plugin) there has been a lot of changes here

I'm aware of that, but as I mentioned these changes are really difficult and time consuming to incorporate. It's on the todo list.

Regarding Admob SDK (also part of the Mobile Advert plugin) Google has made a lot of changes for the different ads, most of which was released in v19.2-19.7.

We actually already use v19.8.0, which only came out last month. I'm aware there's a v20 with lots of breaking changes - again it's difficult and time consuming to make all the changes necessary for this update, but it's on the todo list.

In short, I'd like to point out that just because a new revision is out, e.g. 1.0.1 while we're still using 1.0.0, is not a sign of some kind of negligence about updating. It just means some regular maintenance has happened, and users of the library will update in due course.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)