I may have purchased the wrong license...

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Be quick and choose whether the shown equation is right or wrong.
  • Hey all,

I think I may have purchased the wrong license. I'm coming back to Construct since not using Construct 2 for years.

I purchased the personal license for Construct 3 earlier today. I feel I may have ordered the wrong license, and it looks like there are no refunds allowed.

Anyways, I thought I could make money using creations made with the Personal license, but how does this work if you need to have a business license to sell as a business? Would you just sell your game under your personal name? And, how much can you make each year?

Sorry for all the questions. If I do need to change the license, can I at least upgrade to the Indie, or Business license later on? Maybe my best bet is to use the Personal license, until I'm ready to publish a game, and then upgrade?

Any help answering all these questions, is greatly appreciated!

Hope you all are having a fantastic day/night :)

All the Best

BrainwaveCreations

• Not sure how to edit a previous post. Sorry about that. I had a small typo. I meant if I need to upgrade to the "Startup or Business" licenses.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can send an email to

Scirra Support: support (at) construct.net

They will help you refund and then you can buy another license.

• Click on pricing above in the main menu.

Looks like you are fine with a personal license until you make over $50,000 a year

• Click on pricing above in the main menu.

Looks like you are fine with a personal license until you make over $50,000 a year

That's what I was thinking too, going by the information there. So how does that work? I can't sell the game through LLC, as that would qualify as a business. So you would sell a game on an app store, or pc through your personal name? So the payments are going to you personally, rather than an LLC?

I'm just wondering how that would work.

• You can send an email to

Scirra Support: support (at) construct.net

They will help you refund and then you can buy another license.

Thank you for your response as well. I also noticed on the Personal License page, they do mention that you can upgrade to a Business License at a later date, and contact Scirra regarding the upgrade process. I'm guessing they would refund some time on your current license, then charge the full price for the license upgrading to.

• You can sell a game under your own name under a personal license. I've got two games selling on Steam under my name from a Construct 2 personal license and profits go to me personally. I think it's only if you are operating as a registered company (or getting Construct on behalf of a registered business eg. an employer) that you need to get a business license.

• Don't worry, this happens every now and then and we always find a fair way for you to upgrade (generally refunding unused time on your Personal License).

For clarification, the $50k limit was for Construct 2, NOT Construct 3. For Construct 3, if you're registered as a business of any type you need a Startup or Business license. Personal licenses are for people using it not in a business capacity of any type. There are no revenue limits on Personal Licenses but generally you'd register as a business if you're starting to make good money.

Feel free to email us to clarify what you need, and we'll come up with a solution for you.

• Thanks for all the replies everyone :). I appreciate it. I think I understand it now. I will be looking to register a LLC down the line. So for now, I will stick to the Personal license, then upgrade the license accordingly once I'm ready :)

Appreciate all the information! The License info can be a little bit confusing. It's still a bit confusing, because if I really wanted to. I could chill with the personal license, and earn as much money as I wanted to, as long as all the payments come to me directly, rather than a LLC, or other business type.

But, I've got no worries upgrading my license, once I'm making some money, or selling a game under a business name. The licenses are cheap enough if you are making some income with Construct.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)