Looking for Cordova wrapped games on Google Play

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Google Analytics 4 Plugin for Construct 3 enables metrics and analytics for your games easily.
  • ERAgames777

I've just downloaded Unity Personal Edition and I don't think that the difference in design can be hindrance if you are determined to use it. But to be fair, Unity can be overwhelming with the huge amount of tools and settings that you have to tinker with. Also, trying to decide which programming language to use can be confusing, eg. C# vs Boo. However, the amount of successful mobile games made with Unity says a lot about how Unity takes publishing seriously.

part12studios

The Personal edition is free, the Plus edition is $35/month and the Pro edition is $125/month. All editions are for all platforms and can be monetized with ads and in-app purchases.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • yea but you might as well talk about unreal at that point too.. unity inevitably requires serious dedication to programming and learning the tool.. the point of Construct in my opinion is allowing not developers to make games. an experienced programmer would be stepping back to use Construct.

Basically "real developers" use engines like unity and unreal.. many of us are not serious developers and for me I do not enjoy programming.. i find Construct lets me express ideas quickly that i want to try out.. I've seen it with unity in my attempts at the past that it would take a long time for me to get to a point just to start really experimenting with game ideas (which is difficult to do if you are not already a seasoned coder)

so yea we're talking apples and oranges.. to compare pricing and power of unity to construct is like comparing a small passenger plane to a 747... both fly but one is way more powerful and difficult to fl, but if you can fly it you can travel much further..

I like flying a small plane as it gets me where I want to go without having to spend a lot of time not making games learning to fly something I don't enjoy flying.

if you want to work with something like Construct your options are things like game salad, media fusion pro, stencil and a few others out there that are honestly 'code free'

I've seen unity, i've worked in it with other people and yea just not fun.. Construct is honestly fun to work with.. even when i'm stuck i'm working through solutions.. every time i wanted to something new in unity it was like.. "ok time to stop my idea and figure out a new programming methodology.. etc" and then maybe if i make sense of that, apply it towards an actual game.. no thanks, not my thing.

however some people love coding and i respect folks who do enjoy unity.. i wish i could be one of those people but i've tried numerous times.. just like learning flash (as3) and even blueprints which is visual scripting for unreal, but the reality is they are just way too deep and not fun to work in for me.. i've enjoyed Construct and for the time being believe they will get there.

We just have to use our voices and what influence we can to make it the product we want it to be.

• Giving the discounted 1st yr as a C2 owner, I will more than likely give C3 a try out in the new year mainly for the inbuilt exporters, hopefully we'll see some further improvements to the engine.

Fusion 2.5 was one the other engine I have been using, but I just can't get on with the user interface, plus the way it handles code re-use is weird, you have to copy and paste all the events into every frame which will use the events, where as Construct uses Event Sheets & can just point which layers use which events.

• interesting about fusion. yea something didn't hook me.. and yea i am actually pretty happy with the iOS performance.. it's not rock solid, but it's fast.. it's acceptable for sure.. very comparable to the chrome browser performance seen in the video.. so i'm going to roll with that for now.. the xcode simulator plays well and appears to reflect a good comparison of speed compared to my physical iphone 5s.

i have not tested the plugins yet though.. ads / iap.. that will come later, but at this point. monetizing is almost pointless to spend time on unless you have a heavily marked (funded with thousands of dollars) to get some notice in the mobile space.. banking on your game being the next flappy bird going viral is up there with winning the lottery.

So i can attest that iOS works well enough to publish.. and i guess some phones for android are ok.. but i still would like to to understand how browser plays fine but cordova sucks.. given the open source nature of these products.. i dont' see why construct's cordova exporter couldn't point to the same drivers that chrome and the browser app use when they play the same games..

• part12studios

Thanks for the input. I'm a total noob at Unity but I'm already expecting it to be a lot harder to use compared to Construct. I've developed native Android apps in Java and have tinkered with C# in the past, so I don't really mind spending unholy amount of hours coding and tinkering under the hood. But yeah, I admit that the ease in creating games with Construct is a huge selling point. But publishing a game is just as important as creating it. What's the point in creating a game if I can't sell it? I believe that a game developer should be able to concentrate and spend most of his/her time in creating a game and not to worry about whether his game will run smooth on some devices and not on others. There are thousands of different unique Android devices out there and I'm not expecting a game to run smoothly on all of them because I know that it's not possible. But if a tool will allow me to publish a game that will run smoothly on most devices or even half and has a descent monetization tool, than I'll take it.

I am not ditching Construct 3 entirely. I have fallen in love with it (pardon the drama), but the love and hate relationship that I have with it is driving me nuts. How can my game run smoothly on older devices but lags on newer ones (at least on some of the phones I've tested)?

I'm learning Unity right now, so I'm prepared if or when I decide to make the switch.

• yea i met a guy one time who was a legit C programmer (not sure he used unity) but he still used C2 for prototyping so it's not like you have to choose, but i also know another indie dev i've known for awhile who finished a game with C2 but at least year later is still dabbling with unity..

i think the key with construct / publishing is mostly just not to rely on a lot of third party plugins (btw this is not a breeze in unity and others, i know as we've developed apps for other people using unity) so yea it's not like unity devs never have trouble with 3rd party services..

i agree not all android devices have to work, i'm just not convinced that my device can't run the game well is all.. part of it of course is that i bought it as a test device, not a phone.. and basically learned it's useless.. $100 out the door.. but it's like really, if this device which plays any other game i've put on it fine.. how many other devices will have problems?

• 2D games - choose Construct; 3D games - choose Unity for 2D games through it to do longer than through Construct. Events and actions are prized for a quick result, and if you understand very well in Construct, then you are able to create a game for a billion users in only 20 events!

I developed the game 3D survival through Unity, and I can say that for this process it is very suitable! But still it is worthwhile to set a goal and ask yourself the question: "what result do you want to see?" After all, when you make a game, you must already see the final product and everything must be thought out before the smallest actions!

• One could argue that "real" programmers do not use Unity since Unity does a lot of things for you and also forces you into its way of doing things. It's just that compared to something like Construct it requires more coding knowledge, that's all. Whether that's good or not depends on you and what kind of games you want to make.

I agree, major failing of Construct is crap export options and integration of ads. Not being able to see the forest from the trees comes to mind. Making sure export options and ads worked flawlessly would have made all the difference. As nice as Construct 3's new features are they do not make any difference in the real world.

• NN81 it's an arm based device. yea i'd love to see how crosswalk works on my device for comparison.

How are you building crosswalk stuff? the only way i knew how too was with XDK which as far as I can tell has been closed by Intel with no client downloadable (and i assume their build servers are offline too)

Also I'm not saying I didn't contribute to this, but this thread isn't about Unity vs Construct.. but really this is about Construct 3's build in Cordova comping process and it's poor performance on some android devices and if there could be a solution Scirra could apply to it.

I'm not really really even looking for an alternative. part of the pricetag / feature that sold me on C3.. was it's move to remove the reliance on 3rd party plugins (at least for core features) and 3rd party compiling requirements.

I want to see this be addressed and my original purpose of this thread was to see if there might be some other games out there made with Cordova on the app store I could install on my device to see if they too suffer from the same performance problem that I have with my C3 projects on my LG G Stylo device running Android 6.0

Thanks,

Caleb

• NN81 it's an arm based device. yea i'd love to see how crosswalk works on my device for comparison.

How are you building crosswalk stuff? the only way i knew how too was with XDK which as far as I can tell has been closed by Intel with no client downloadable (and i assume their build servers are offline too)

Also I'm not saying I didn't contribute to this, but this thread isn't about Unity vs Construct.. but really this is about Construct 3's build in Cordova comping process and it's poor performance on some android devices and if there could be a solution Scirra could apply to it.

I'm not really really even looking for an alternative. part of the pricetag / feature that sold me on C3.. was it's move to remove the reliance on 3rd party plugins (at least for core features) and 3rd party compiling requirements.

I want to see this be addressed and my original purpose of this thread was to see if there might be some other games out there made with Cordova on the app store I could install on my device to see if they too suffer from the same performance problem that I have with my C3 projects on my LG G Stylo device running Android 6.0

Thanks,

Caleb

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev? ... 7719129405 all of these games are made in c2 and use cordova built untop of ludies canvas+ runtime

• ok i ran a couple of those games and they played great but that's also Cocoon IO which uses their own special webview IIRC which has pros and cons of it's own. I'm looking at Scirra's use of actual Cordova which isn't using the same thing as Chrome and Browser.

Thanks,

Caleb

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)