Language detection for Steam game

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Detects any kind of ad blocker. Very easy implementation into already existing projects
  • Which of these is the preferred method to automatically detect language in a Steam game?

• Browser.Language: The browser's current language setting.
    • Steam API GameLanguage: The language set specifically for the game.
    • Steam API UILanguage: The language set for the Steam UI.

Tagged:

From my experience this one will always be english, because the bundled browser defaults to english language.

So it has to be one of the other two. I'd go with the UI language, because I've never personally set a game to a specific language from steam. I didn't even know this was an option. I've only ever changed it from within the game. This is only relevant for the first start of the game anyway (usually) so UI language kinda makes sense to me, since your steam UI is probably in a language you're comfortable with.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Which of these is the preferred method to automatically detect language in a Steam game?

• Steam API GameLanguage: The language set specifically for the game.
    • Steam API UILanguage: The language set for the Steam UI.

You can also upload a specific build for every language into a separate depot and Steam will handle this for you.

It's also possible to make one main depot for the base game and then upload the language specific files into their own depot for each language.

• Good question! I recently discovered how to do this for my game.

It works well, I changed the Steam interface to Korean, then tested my game and it changed the language.

• Thanks!

I didn't realize Browser.language was not reliable. Will use UILanguage now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)