Jumpthru bug?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!

When the platform is moving It starts to fail in detecting collisions. How come this behavior with more than a decade still have bugs like this? Am I tripping or It really is a bug? If so, could we get a quick fix if possible? It's really harming my project.

c3p: drive.google.com/file/d/1Gqy-JEXB8FzOjKPu55WCwkkqOaxE0UR5/view

It happens in both versions, last stable and last beta.

Ashley

I suppose that´s one of those cases where the movement causes the cubes to "skip" over detecting the collision within a single tick. Like very quick objects that can phase through solids.

I do think this should be corrected since moving platforms aren´t exactly some rare edge case, it´s one of the most basic platforming staples.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

I suppose that´s one of those cases where the movement causes the cubes to "skip" over detecting the collision within a single tick. Like very quick objects that can phase through solids.

I do think this should be corrected since moving platforms aren´t exactly some rare edge case, it´s one of the most basic platforming staples.

Exactly. And It's just regular speed, not even close to be considered too fast that could justify the behavior. And the cubes have the default values too.

Are you using solids or jumpthrough ( from the title seems latter )?

I spent about 3 days dealing with this, in the end I decided to not use jumpthrough and use solids and when I need to drop down ( press Down arrow ) from the platform solid behavior is disabled for that platform, also any platforms above the player have their solid behavior disabled so he will not bump into them when jumping from another platform below that one.

It actually worked fine on my PC, but testing on a phone and another PC, player would just fall through often. Even when movin platforms at 60*dt which is pretty slow.

Also, Construct 2 export ( from Construct 2 seems to handle it much better )

It might still be too fast for the jumpthrough platform since it´s not a full solid. There is just a tiny "line" on top of the jumpthrough that determines landing on it or not.

I guess moving platforms are unfortunatelly a no go with jumpthrough platforms.

My default speed is 60*dt, then speed up to 240^dt and it worked perfectly fine on my PC while developing and testing in Construct 2.

Seems that Construct 3 has a problem with it. So, since it will be exported w Construct 3 I had to rework the mechanics and use solids.

BadMario WackyToaster

I think we need Ashley to tell us If this is a known limitation or just a bug that will be fixed, If so when? Would be great to hear from him before spending hours making something to work around the issue or even giving up this feature in my game.

The platform behavior is exceptionally complex and has dozens of extremely complicated and awkward edge cases. These kinds of reports never seem to end no matter how much work we put in to refining the platform behavior.

As ever if you think there's a problem please file an issue following all the guidelines.

The platform behavior is exceptionally complex and has dozens of extremely complicated and awkward edge cases. These kinds of reports never seem to end no matter how much work we put in to refining the platform behavior.

We already know the outcome of this. Nothing will happen. However I've had a slightly hope that, since this feature is so important, we could actually see some work around the problem.

As ever if you think there's a problem please file an issue following all the guidelines.

If I think? You've already stated the problem above and that this is a known bug for so many years. This is even disrespectful asking me to file the issue IF I think there's a problem. You already know the answer and this is sad.

I'll have to do a lot of work around these bugs generated by the behavior to make this work, the same I'm doing for the moving platforms with solid behavior.

This is frustrating, specially because Construct is very expensive in my country. Anyways, I won't extend myself anymore, a lot of people know how 'flexible' scirra is.

I didn't say it's a known problem. It's the first I've heard of it.

If you believe there is a problem, filing an issue following the guidelines is the standard process for dealing with it. If you are willing to co-operate and do that the issue may be fixed. If you only complain about it on the forum, it won't be investigated, as per our long-standing policy of requiring issues to be filed following the guidelines - since whenever people don't do that, it's usually impossible to help.

I almost never write here on the forums, but this prompted me.

This filling out a report nonsense is complete BS. We are asked to do the initial bug testing and paperwork for you, as a consumer, for free!

I will never fill out any report, unless im getting paid.

Doing bug testing paperwork for free? No thank you.

Have you tried filing a bug report? It's six questions - hardly "paperwork". I just filed one for you, with the example provided above, and it took less time than it did to write this post. There's already another issue already filed that might stem from the same problem.

Bug reports are super important to getting things fixed. The system works. Thousands of C3 bugs have been spotted and solved by this system, and the C3 you're enjoying right now is working well because of it. It forces users to be clear about the bug, and to give clear evidence that it's not their bad code causing the problem, and helps the dev team solve it as fast as possible - so they can get on with important stuff like new features.

Don't get me wrong, I want the platform behaviour fixed as well; all I develop are platform games. But the more we use the bug report system, the more likely it is to get fixed. It's not "free work for the devs by the consumer".

I have not. It was more of a general stance towards letting consumers do what testers are suppose to do. I never use the platform behaviour.

Hey, i like construct 3. I just don't like the idea of doing what a professional tester would do, for free, while paying.

I agree with Ormus, but I guess the main question is - When we pay for our subscription to C3, are we paying to be able to use the software, or are we paying for support? Or both?

Even if you're not subscribed to C3, I know Scirra will still check any bug report from anyone, which is great!

Once you sub to C3, do you get more perks in terms of support?...not really, no, because anyone, free or subbed, gets the same level of support.

With other companies, when you pay for support, they have ticketing systems that staff and customers can both use, so you could email-in a bug a report, or pop it on the forum, and a staff/mod/volunteer would submit a ticket for you (because you're paying for this support) and they'll communicate back and forth until you feel happy it's resolved. OR you could submit a formal ticket yourself. If I could choose, I'd post bugs to the forum - I like the discussion that can come with it, and I like staying in 1 website.

With C3, you MUST submit it to Github (Unless there was a lot of noise on the forum post with other users complaining, then that'll attract immediate action). But that's absolutely fair, if we are not paying for support, which I don't think we are.

Time is money, especially when we are paying subscription fees. Noone wants to be bug-reporting for a subscription-based software, everyone would much rather be USING C3 to make their games and such.

Then their response to that will be "if you want that level of support we'll have to raise subscription fees to pay for additional staff as we're just a small team, do you want us adding new features or spending all our time answering support?"

The ideal solution in my mind is to integrate bug reporting into the editor itself, they already track user stats, even what buttons you click on most often etc.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)