hey are there anyone here used 2d engines to be able to know which is easiest to use / learn?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • have you used different 2d engines recently, say within the last year to 6 months or so?

if so, you'll likely be able to help

the goal is to see how simple (how hard) how many hours it'd take to prototype/make

- a simple minimal turn based spatial tactics game

- examples of turn based spatial tactics game are xcom, ff tactics, fire emblem, etc

- these kinds of games have the spatial element of a map/area

for users like me that has never used these things before and knows nothing about this stuff

- what's the key positives negatives of the 2d engines you've used recently?

looking for easiest simplest to use

- i want to focus the simple minimal spatial tactics on multiplayer but that'll be later on

- are there any sites/places you recommend where there would be ppl that would know this?

are there anyone here used 2d engines to be able to know which is easiest to use / learn?

• a turn based game I would say is a little advanced for a someone brand new to making games.

I would start with a bunch of beginner tutorials (non turn-based) to get comfortable with the engine.

after that I would move on to seeing how to make a turn-based mechanic.

It doesn't matter what engine you use. Construct / Gamemaker / Unity - but I would say Construct is the easiest.

• Construct has been the easiest and most fun (i can make a game idea prototype work in a very short time and actually play it.) out of any of the engines i've tried.

• Construct 3 is the best for map games. It is also very convenient. I run it on my android, my phone, and my PC.

• 'a little advanced 'construct is the easiest.'

why basically? the question asked what's the key positives negatives of the 2d engines you've used recently?

'out of any of the engines i've tried.'

you didn't say what you've used, or why

construct 3 > construct > for maps?

'Construct 3 is the best for map games'

why?

• 'GameSalad is mostly preferred to work while Buildbox accommodates all of the requirements a user has'

so 'GameSalad' is easier? than 'Buildbox' in case we need that

• construct is the easiest because it does things for you like Behaviors...for example Pinning. You can't 'pin' anything in gamemaker, making it a huge hassle. Pinning saves you hours if not days.

everything just takes about as twice as long in other engines opposed to construct. The drawback of construct is that its java and with jank issues - but it's good in the long run because it keeps you honest in making a modest game (performance-wise).

a lot of people prototype in construct and then use gamemaker or unity for the full game.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • "knows nothing about this stuff" - There is no silver bullet for this.

Engine is just small part. You still need to make art, music, logic, UI, etc.

Engine helps to you to put that all together, here Construct can do it faster. With some other engine you could do it same fast, but it takes longer to mastered them. Ofc after you have mastered them, they can offer you more/less depending which you use.

"how many hours it'd take to prototype/make"

It depends how long it takes for you to make them. Like some art, some model in blender, animate something for you game. Make or modifie and play around with sounds? Design game world?

Does no matter what you choose, it all takes very very long time to do. And your "minimal spatial tactics on multiplayer" game consumes your soul at the end.

• Bottom line is: game development is, by it's very nature, incredibly hard. No tool will make the game for you.

I tried to get into several engines like GMS2, Unity, etc. and did some beginner tutorials with them. But Construct was the only one where i could really feel like "Yes, i think with this it will be possible to make my game!". I bought Jerementor's C2 course from Udemy back in the day and after that i knew pretty much everything i needed to know to get started. Within a week i had my own inventory system running. Within another week, a dialogue system. Both can get pretty complex in other engines but for me, with little coding experience beforehand, it was possible to get my own game going very fast.

So, prepare to learn and work hard to achieve your goal but if you're looking for the "easiest" engine to use, then Construct is the way to go as far as i can tell when it comes to 2d games. That doesn't mean that it will always be "easy" though but it will be much less difficult than with any other engine.

• 'a lot of people prototype in construct and then use gamemaker or unity for the full game.'

this is informative info

need to make art, music, logic, UI, etc.

i dont it's simple minimal as said in post

the 'programming' via dragdrop and ui yes (cos ui is needed even in simple minimal)

' takes longer to mastered them'

all takes very very long time to do

that is a helpful answer

, incredibly hard

that is a helpful answer

tried to get into several engines like GMS2, Unity, etc. and did some beginner tutorials

not supa important but how many years or so ago?

so what is suggested now? do i try construct 2 or is it way inferior that i should try the demo of construct 3, or is that so limited and you wont really understand anything and you should try construct 2?

• pinning better than gamemaker

i assume you're talking about the dragdrop of both, is there an example of 'pinning' we could see anywhere? and why it better or easier?

maybe a youtube or gif shows it?

i hope construct engine is better than the site cos the site / forum is terrible in MANY ways

but the ppl are clearly helpful

and the bold formmating of the text is not even showing....

• I am glad that you found my information helpful. With construct your awesome game will see daylight soon, don't forget to share it with us! Drag n drop will make your development faster, is The best.

• not supa important but how many years or so ago?

Multiple times over the years, i rather not think about it or i'll realize how old i am :D

• pinning better than gamemaker

i assume you're talking about the dragdrop of both, is there an example of 'pinning' we could see anywhere? and why it better or easier?

no, Pin is a behavior that allows you to "attach" one sprite to another. Also I meant to mention image-points. I think GMS2 is releasing a new feature that is similar, but image points in Construct make life a breeze! it's SOO convenient which translates into production speed.

• I like to work on my android when I commute and on my PC at work. Construct 3 is very convenient for this, since it runs on so many platforms.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)