Having issues with export panel signing interface...

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
J.BoB Impact Action Interface Sound Pack comes with 120 high-quality sound effects
  • The problem we have is the build tool was (it seems) updated to ignore the key password when creating keystores. So people kept entering a key password when creating a keystore, which was ignored, then re-entered it when signing the app, and then getting "wrong password" errors. This change was in the beta release for about a month before it came to a stable release, which gave the impression the change was OK.

So educate people who were having the initial problem - everybody who had to build previous to this had to learn.

If we add back a key password field just for signing, we'll be asking people to enter a password they never previously specified, which would probably cause further confusion.

If this new system has only be implemented for a month there will be so many less apps that will have be affected, as opposed to all the apps that have been using a password key since the first days of using Construct.

So it's not clear to me what to do here, it seems this change to the build tool has thrown a spanner in the works.

Do some proper testing at your end and try it out on some of your own apps?

• For me it seems the easiest and best thing for everyone would be going back to the old system but additionally adding a description so there is less confusion. Because I also think there are more people confused of the new update (because most of the users can't sign anymore) than on the old version.

• Ashley

Has there been any movement on this? Is it worth making an announcement to the whole customer base?

Those with apps made live before the changes were implemented will no longer be able to update them using this new signing system, and anyone who has made a new app using the new signing system may not be able to update their apps if the new system is reverted to the old system.

Therefore currently working in Construct is pointless as we don't know if we'll be able to update/amend any app we're working on once they're live - as we don't know which system will be in place.

I think you need to make the customers aware of this ASAP.

• Ashley

Same with signing Is the build server even working at the moment for larger/commrecial projects - I have been trying to export for 2 days now to provide an update for my customers and It is not working I just get build failed and no log nothing - I have checked the console - there are no errors?

• We can't go back to exactly what it used to do. The old approach was simply broken, and people kept running in to the brokenness, and ending up making forum posts, filing issues and contacting support.

Previous Construct releases are still available - which is specifically done for cases like this where there is some kind of unexpected issue. So if you go back to r197.2 you can carry on using it like it was before, at least in the short term while we figure out what to do about this.

Considering a permanent change will cause permanent confusion, even years down the line, I would still prefer to use a workaround if one is feasible. That should only cause temporary disruption, and then should be a non-issue years down the line. So before taking any further action it would be useful to know: can you use keytool to rename a key password and continue publishing? Once you have the tool, it should only be one or two lines per keystore - not a lot of work at all.

• We can't go back to exactly what it used to do. The old approach was simply broken, and people kept running in to the brokenness, and ending up making forum posts, filing issues and contacting support.

Previous Construct releases are still available - which is specifically done for cases like this where there is some kind of unexpected issue. So if you go back to r197.2 you can carry on using it like it was before, at least in the short term while we figure out what to do about this.

Considering a permanent change will cause permanent confusion, even years down the line, I would still prefer to use a workaround if one is feasible. That should only cause temporary disruption, and then should be a non-issue years down the line. So before taking any further action it would be useful to know: can you use keytool to rename a key password and continue publishing? Once you have the tool, it should only be one or two lines per keystore - not a lot of work at all.

I am so confused I am trying to build a signed Android app bundle and It never builds is it to do with the keystone as I generated it ages ago and now you are saying I have to change something with it?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • LaurenceBedford - it's not clear that your posts are actually related to this thread. I saw you asking questions about Cordova adaptive icons, which have an unrelated issue involving a Cordova bug. If that's the issue, it's nothing to do with this thread.

• LaurenceBedford - it's not clear that your posts are actually related to this thread. I saw you asking questions about Cordova adaptive icons, which have an unrelated issue involving a Cordova bug. If that's the issue, it's nothing to do with this thread.

No it is not - I am having a problem with building a signed android app bundle with construct and I think is to do with this topic - it builds debug apks fine but when it comes to signing it doesn't sign and this is since it was changed it did used to work.

• OK, I think we have to add back the key password field, so it's done for the next release. More details in the resolution of the bug report: https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/3949#issuecomment-646664916

• Good. Because the issue I'm now having from having to create and sign with a new Keystore is when updating the app on the Google Play Store I'm getting the following error:

Upload failed

You uploaded an APK that is signed with a different certificate to your previous APKs. You must use the same certificate. Your existing APKs are signed with the certificate(s) with fingerprint(s):

[ SHA1: ORIGINAL FINGERPRINT HERE ]

and the certificate(s) used to sign the APK you uploaded have fingerprint(s):

[ SHA1: NEW FINGERPRINT HERE ]

So once this new update to revert to the original system is live I'll be able to use my original keystores for updating my existing apps.

Until the update is live though, we're all screwed.

• As I noted previously, the old releases are all still there and available to use in r198 and older if you need to use the key password field.

• Yeah, except we've already made our amends in r204 and saved etc and when we tried to export/build that's when we discovered the Keystore/password issue. Then when we try to open these projects again in r197 we get the following error message:

This project cannot be opened since it was saved in a newer version of Construct 3. The project was saved in r204, and you are currently using r198. Use a newer version of Construct 3 to open the project.

So yeah, until the patch comes we're screwed.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)