Editor Workflow Suggestions

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • Hi, Ive been using C3 for a while now and here is my list of most notable suggestions. Apologies if there is already a board for things like this but I couldn't find it. Take it all with a pinch of salt. I will update as I go. Please add yours to the list.

• A colour variable or a colour picker built into the Set Colour action dialogue.
    • When you drag external images onto a sub folder in a project they currently go to the root of the Object Types folder. They should stay in the folder you dragged them onto.
    • Default sprite size when creating a new sprite should be able to adjust in settings. The current 250 size is pretty heavy for mobile and its easy to forget to change it.
    • Add the relevant shortcut keys to all of the menu dropdown items in the editor. For Example"Toggle Bookmark" should read "Toggle Bookmark (F2)"
    • When creating a new object it should be created inside the current folder that you have selected in the project view. I am forever dragging objects between the parent folder and sub folders.
    • In the Scene graph we should be able to transfer the parents current "opacity" to children.
    • A shortcut key for moving an object up/down through the z order. As far as I know there is only a key to either move it to the bottom or top. I know there is the zorder bar but a shortcut key would help.
    • Ability to select multiple objects in the project view and add a behaviour to them all at the same time (not just the last one selected)
    • Same goes for selecting multiple objects and selecting 'Add to Family' All should go in and not just the last selected

That's all for now :)

Cheers

Tagged:

• I do like some of these, but generally suggestions go onto the suggestions graveyard platform (there's a sticky post here) .

Ahh I joke, Scirra do look at the suggestions platform, but I do wish there was a more engaging way for suggestions to be handled.

• The main problem is we get far, far more suggestions than we can possibly implement. I don't see any way around the problem other than for people to post fewer suggestions...

• Was the idea not to review the suggestions in six months intervals?

Even just to give a simple "maybe" or "no" response, which would at least let us know that it's been considered, and encourage more suggestions.

EDIT: I really like a lot those suggestions Grimmy! Especially controlling the defaults.

• We get so many ideas, and many of them are complex enough to require a lengthy review to determine feasibility, that merely providing any kind of response would itself be an enormous amount of work. Besides, even minor features can unexpectedly become very complicated. As a small company with limited resources we need to find ways to cut the amount of work we have to do, not increase it with lots of admin work.

• Yeah it seems extremely challenging to figure out.

I have 1 idea, which keeps with the same platform you are using now.

What if once a month, something from the top 20 or 30 suggestions could be implemented, and in the update page, it could be specified that the feature was added "as suggested by the community".

After adding, maybe the suggestions can be reset monthly, which would make sure votes are always recent, and not some abandoned vote from a few users 4 months ago.

This could give Scirra the choice to cherry pick something that Scirra agrees with, but also Scirra can pick something that is doable alongside other features that you guys are currently working on.

This might get people more engaged with the sub platform, as they'd get excited when they see on the update page that a community suggestion was able to get into C3, and the sub platform would be blank after this, fresh and ready for everyone to post ideas (or repost their old idea since they're so eager for it).

I'm not sure. I really like the idea of being able to influence C3 though, as many others likely do. I wonder what could be tried.

• This has been discussed at great length already and I don't really want to re-run the whole discussion, but I do want to just point out:

1) The suggestions platform is a good source of ideas and we do implement some of them - in the ~9 months the current platform has been up we've shipped 12 suggestions, which is in fact more than one a month on average.

2) We have to work within the restrictions of the suggestions platform, so we can't always make customisations that we want. If you're thinking "why doesn't Scirra make their own suggestions platform?", then that just adds to the problem - add that to the several years worth of work already proposed.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah I think pretty much everything has been said about this already. From my experience with it I have seen quite some of the features that I thought to be really useful/important eventually end up in Construct. Though admittedly, it always took a very long time from suggestion to implementation.

I have one specific in mind I first suggested on the old platform in 2017 (without much success/interest) but it got suggested several times by other users down the line, perhaps formulated better. Eventually it was implemented... 1-2 months ago. Just a mere 5 years later. There's 2 suggestions I'm specifically eying right now so I hope I see them come to life in 2027 :)

I'm just joking around a little, Scirra is not obliged to even take suggestions in the first place. I guess it's a good way to get some ideas and the odd "good" suggestion but it's impossible to base the entire development of Construct around it. Also the updates almost always brought something new/useful/exciting to the table, even if it wasn't the feature I was hoping for.

• Hi, I didn't want to start any bad feelings with my post, I understand that most if not all will never be implemented, I'm not expecting anything. Just keeping some mental notes for myself if not for anybody else. C3 is excellent! These are not criticisms! But if there is any easy to implement low hanging fruit in there for the team, then great!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)