Construct 3 for Windows 10 in the Microsoft Store

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Creepy Sprite Font suitable font for your Dark/Horror/Halloween games.

We're launching a beta of Construct 3 for Windows 10 in the Microsoft Store! This is an alternative to the NW.js-based desktop build.

The C3 Store app requires the latest version of Windows 10 - the April 2018 update, build 17134+. This is already rolling out widely. Check Windows Update for any updates if you don't have it yet.

How to get it

The Windows Store app is deprecated. Please switch to the browser-based editor.

As with loading editor.construct.net in the browser, you must be online the first time you load Construct 3. From then on, it will work offline. You can use your account offline for up to 7 days, but you must go online at least once every 7 days to renew the account. This is all identical to how offline support and accounts work in the browser.

Features specific to the C3 Store app

Architecturally the Store app is very similar to the NW.js desktop build. It enables new features using new WinRT APIs available to Store apps, instead of the Node APIs used in NW.js. In many places the code is identical but the implementation just uses a different API behind the scenes. So in terms of features it's pretty close to the NW.js version. There are only some differences where WinRT can't substitute something that Node can do, usually for security reasons.

• You can save and load folder-based projects. This allows faster saves for large projects, and works better with source control. Single-file projects (.c3p files) can also be saved anywhere on disk. Note this feature is also available in the Chrome browser.
      • The Animations Editor can launch external editing software to edit the image.
      • You can export a project directly to a folder on disk, rather than as a zip file.
      • It automatically registers a file type association for .c3p and .c3proj files, so you can double-click files to open them.
      • The C3 Store app also supports x86 (32-bit) and ARM versions of Windows as well as x64 (64-bit), whereas the NW.js build currently only supports x64.
      If you don't need any of these features, you can just keep using Construct 3 from the web. You can still create a desktop icon and run without the address bar from Chrome using the "Add to desktop" feature. There's more information in the manual.

Known issues

• Currently only the beta version of Construct 3 is supported.
      • You cannot purchase Construct 3 from the Store app. If all goes well we intend to add support for this later down the line. If you've already got a subscription, you can still log in and use it in the Store app.
      • Opening an external editor from the Animations Editor only has a single button which makes Windows prompt for which image editor to use. This is the best we can do with the available WinRT features. (For security reasons the app cannot launch a given EXE file.)
      • Store apps on Windows 10 use the Microsoft Edge browser engine, whereas the NW.js-based desktop app uses the Chromium browser engine. Edge is not as fast as Chrome so in some cases performance may not be as good as Chrome or the NW.js desktop app.

FAQ

Where do I download the C3 Windows 10 Store app?
      The Windows Store app is deprecated. Please switch to the browser-based editor.
      How do I update Construct 3?
      Currently the Store app serves the same version of C3 that appears at editor.construct.net/beta. It updates the same way as in the browser: you'll see a notification there's a new version available, and reloading the app will use it.
      Where do I report issues?
      The Windows Store app is deprecated. We will not be supporting it any further with bug fixes.
      How does feature X work in the desktop build?
      If it's not mentioned above, the answer is "identically to how it does in Edge".

Let us know!

We're interested to know what you think about this and how it works for you. Let us know if you have any feedback!
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

10:30am in the US, still can't download, error says it's on our side (Microsoft) I assume. But I will be testing and will notify you when I'm able to download.

Preview freezes

Okay I can see it on the Microsoft Windows 10 v1607. But I can't download it since I deferred Windows 10 updates. But If I do download the Windows 10 update, my Laptop Drivers will get broken again. But If I don't, I can't download Construct 3.

Tight spot to be in.

And Edge isn't really a good alternative for Chrome.

Anyway as a suggestion, a better news would be a better support for the standalone desktop version. With a better download page and all the bells and whistle you can provide by focusing more onto it.

On the Start page, under Useful Links, it's missing the store link.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Overall, great job. It's always good to have more choices.

Now Downloading in the US. Debug preview causes C3 to automatically restart.

On the Start page, under Useful Links, it's missing the store link.

Just thought I'd mention it.

This is intentional. The Microsoft Store policies disallow links to other stores.

BTW if you run in to issues please file them on the bug tracker like all other bugs.

Can't download from the windows store from web browser or from within Windows 10 built-in Store.

It's stuck on "Working..."

I'm getting this prnt.sc/kby81y UI glitch happen when I open Settings while I have the xml editor in use. After this I can't click on anything and had to reopen.

It also keeps saying I need to update to r111 when I open it, even though I have and it says it's on r111.

Any idea on when C3 will be available for purchase through the Windows 10 Store? Will current owners of C2 get a discount on C3 purchased through the Windows 10 Store as well?

I absolutely refuse to join the Windows Insider Program.

It specifically warns you it could crash your system and cause damage to your data.

Hell no.

Dont mind me. I'm still in awe of how this is possible

Launch external editor doesn't work for me, it just spins eventually returns control after a minute or so. It works for me in the desktop build though.

We're launching a beta of Construct 3 for Windows 10 in the Microsoft Store! This is an alternative to the NW.js-based desktop build.

The C3 Store app requires the latest version of Windows 10 - the April 2018 update, build 17134+. This is already rolling out widely. Check Windows Update for any updates if you don't have it yet.

How to get it

Click here to open the Store page for Construct 3. Alternatively just open the Store app and search for Construct 3.

As with loading editor.construct.net in the browser, you must be online the first time you load Construct 3. From then on, it will work offline. You can use your account offline for up to 7 days, but you must go online at least once every 7 days to renew the account. This is all identical to how offline support and accounts work in the browser.

Features specific to the C3 Store app

Architecturally the Store app is very similar to the NW.js desktop build. It enables new features using new WinRT APIs available to Store apps, instead of the Node APIs used in NW.js. In many places the code is identical but the implementation just uses a different API behind the scenes. So in terms of features it's pretty close to the NW.js version. There are only some differences where WinRT can't substitute something that Node can do, usually for security reasons.

• You can save and load folder-based projects. This allows faster saves for large projects, and works better with source control.
    • Single-file projects (.c3p files) can be saved anywhere on disk.
    • You can copy and paste images in the Animations Editor.
    • The Animations Editor can launch an external image editor.
    • You can export a project directly to a folder on disk, rather than as a zip file.
    • It automatically registers a file type association for .c3p and .c3proj files, so you can double-click files to open them.
    • The C3 Store app also supports x86 (32-bit) and ARM versions of Windows as well as x64 (64-bit), whereas the NW.js build currently only supports x64.

If you don't need any of these features, you can just keep using Construct 3 from the web. You can still create a desktop icon and run without the address bar from Chrome using the "Add to desktop" feature. There's more information in the manual.

Known issues

• Currently only the beta version of Construct 3 is supported.
    • You cannot purchase Construct 3 from the Store app. If all goes well we intend to add support for this later down the line. If you've already got a subscription, you can still log in and use it in the Store app.
    • Opening an external editor from the Animations Editor only has a single button which makes Windows prompt for which image editor to use. This is the best we can do with the available WinRT features. (For security reasons the app cannot launch a given EXE file.)
    • Store apps on Windows 10 use the Microsoft Edge browser engine, whereas the NW.js-based desktop app uses the Chromium browser engine. Edge is not as fast as Chrome so in some cases performance may not be as good as Chrome or the NW.js desktop app.

FAQ

Where do I download the C3 Windows 10 Store app?

Click here or search for Construct 3 in the Store app.

How do I update Construct 3?

Currently the Store app serves the same version of C3 that appears at editor.construct.net/beta. It updates the same way as in the browser: you'll see a notification there's a new version available, and reloading the app will use it.

Where do I report issues?

The same place as any other C3 issues, on the GitHub tracker: https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues
    There is a 'desktop' tag we'll apply to issues relating to the desktop apps.

How does feature X work in the desktop build?

If it's not mentioned above, the answer is "identically to how it does in Edge".

Let us know!

We're interested to know what you think about this and how it works for you. Let us know if you have any feedback!

Launch external editor doesn't work for me, it just spins eventually returns control after a minute or so. It works for me in the desktop build though.

Please report any bugs to the issue tracker following all the guidelines.

Much appreciated. I really like taking apps from the store.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)