Chrome mobile vs APK performance

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • I test with an iPhone7 and I can say my game which shows janking as an Android APK runs very smoothly on my iPhone7.

Happy to hear that

• Hey guys, I need more information about devices that can run the HTML sample version(on this thread) smoothly on Chrome mobile, but can't run the APK at the same level of performance, so chromium engineers can run tests on those devices.

If I can't get more devices, I'll assume that this problem is not relevant and it's only affecting a few devices, so continuing this thread is meaningless.

I just have these devices for now.

Samsung Galaxy A20e (OS 10)

Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G9600 (OS 10)

Redmi 5 (OS 8.1.0)

Alcatel A3XL (OS 7.0)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If I can't get more devices, I'll assume that this problem is not relevant and it's only affecting a few devices, so continuing this thread is meaningless.

We could always send the findings collected so far, who knows it could lead to a solution on those devices

• > If I can't get more devices, I'll assume that this problem is not relevant and it's only affecting a few devices, so continuing this thread is meaningless.

We could always send the findings collected so far, who knows it could lead to a solution on those devices

They only have easy access to Pixel devices(where this problem is not present), so it would be better to give them a substantial list of devices so there's a higher chance of this being tested.

And I thing, it would be important to know if this is a problem on high-end/new Android devices apart from those Pixel devices

• They only have easy access to Pixel devices(where this problem is not present), so it would be better to give them a substantial list of devices so there's a higher chance of this being tested.

And I thing, it would be important to know if this is a problem on high-end/new Android devices apart from those Pixel devices

I totally agree. I interpreted your earlier post as you were on your way to shut down the thread. I just thought better to send what we got so far.

• > They only have easy access to Pixel devices(where this problem is not present), so it would be better to give them a substantial list of devices so there's a higher chance of this being tested.

> And I thing, it would be important to know if this is a problem on high-end/new Android devices apart from those Pixel devices

I totally agree. I interpreted your earlier post as you were on your way to shut down the thread. I just thought better to send what we got so far.

Just posted it now

bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail

• > > They only have easy access to Pixel devices(where this problem is not present), so it would be better to give them a substantial list of devices so there's a higher chance of this being tested.

>

> > And I thing, it would be important to know if this is a problem on high-end/new Android devices apart from those Pixel devices

>

>

> I totally agree. I interpreted your earlier post as you were on your way to shut down the thread. I just thought better to send what we got so far.

Just posted it now

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1127307#c46

Would it help if I test with custom roms?

AOSP based?

• Just a heads up, make sure you do any testing in r247+, since we fixed a separate issue potentially causing jank in the WebView in that release.

• Just a heads up, make sure you do any testing in r247+, since we fixed a separate issue potentially causing jank in the WebView in that release.

Thanks Ashley I was using the stable version, but it still Janking on the latest beta.... or maybe I can't trust my eyes anymore after so much testing.

Hey klabundee can you please test the new APK with the latest C3 beta on your Galaxy S9 SM-G9600 Android 10 , if you have the time please.

dropbox.com/s/nl2yr5mxdx9i43h/ChromeVsApk_248.android.debug.apk

• > Just a heads up, make sure you do any testing in r247+, since we fixed a separate issue potentially causing jank in the WebView in that release.

Hey klabundee can you please test the new APK with the latest C3 beta on your Galaxy S9 SM-G9600 Android 10 , if you have the time please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nl2yr5mxdx9i43h/ChromeVsApk_248.android.debug.apk?dl=1

Just tested and its much better.. its not jank free but is indeed better.

• > > Just a heads up, make sure you do any testing in r247+, since we fixed a separate issue potentially causing jank in the WebView in that release.

>

>

> Hey klabundee can you please test the new APK with the latest C3 beta on your Galaxy S9 SM-G9600 Android 10 , if you have the time please.

>

> dropbox.com/s/nl2yr5mxdx9i43h/ChromeVsApk_248.android.debug.apk

Just tested and its much better.. its not jank free but is indeed better.

Thanks klabundee I'll check in other devices and with a complete game too.

• I gave a check to the newest version and for me there are no lags. It is perfect now

• Thanks  CascadeGames

Wow, sorry Ashley for not testing with the latest C3 release from the beginning, but usually users use Stable versions for release their final builds.

Should we consider that there's no relevant difference between Chrome mobile and APK now?

After updating to the latest beta (r248), Im seeing a clear improvement to jankiness in my game when exported as an Android APK. I wouldn't say janking has gone completely, but it's definitely improved.

I'll have to do some more testing, but it looks like I might be able to release on Android afterall instead of just focusing on iOS!!!!

Pretty happy actually!

Ashley ..the changes you made to WebView scheduling in r247, can they be pushed any further? It seems like youve discovered the issue thats been causing janking in Android APKs all this time. Can any more improvements be made in that area?

• So for years we were told it’s the GPU blacklist or a driver issue...and it wasn’t?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)