C3 - I'm not getting it.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.

Ok, well good luck to you. I've tried a number of alternatives, and Scirra have cracked it!

FYI ... I'd pay triple the subscription. Anyway that topic has been discussed a lot already.

And yes, Admobs and in-app purchases are working for me.

And, the fundamentals are documented online, just a lack of video tutorials I guess.

Ok, well good luck to you. I've tried a number of alternatives, and Scirra have cracked it!

FYI ... I'd pay triple the subscription. Anyway that topic has been discussed a lot already.

And yes, Admobs and in-app purchases are working for me.

And, the fundamentals are documented online, just a lack of video tutorials I guess.

Good luck to you too Sir. And thanks for the information on APK export.

Yet not clearly documented where you think it would be

Where should features be documented, if not in the manual? The manual should be the first port of call for anyone wanting to know how something works.

> Yet not clearly documented where you think it would be

>

Where should features be documented, if not in the manual? The manual should be the first port of call for anyone wanting to know how something works.

May I suggest that with your new found revenue (per annum) that you hire a tech writer. For a much requested feature of exporting to an APK, WITHOUT the use of XDK etc, to be buried in a manual is problematic. That feature was one of the #1 requests in the 2 years I was involved with C2.

When I bought my truck, I didn't have to dig through the users manual to discover the MPG, it was right there on the sticker as part of a bullet list. See the difference?

>

> > Yet not clearly documented where you think it would be

> >

>

> Where should features be documented, if not in the manual? The manual should be the first port of call for anyone wanting to know how something works.

>

NM

You call 99 bucks a "dev level price tag" and because it's per year it's a cashgrab? Get a grip.

If you don't want to read the documentation, I guess it doesn't matter how well it's written!

Whoops - I got tempted after reading of export to APK. Went to purchase and the price is PER ANNUM -

hohohoho

No thanks, Scirra you are far from being stable enough to charge per year, like Adobe. My initial post was correct - a money grab.

It's a different business model than you're used to, not a "money grab". "Money grab" suggests that what they're doing is cynical and dishonest somehow - the steady stream of improvements to C3 suggests otherwise.

As to their stability, they seem pretty stable to me... they deliver upgrades consistently, they generally respond to bug reports promptly, and they're active on the forums. I think they are working hard in good faith, and have integrity. If this new business model allows them to be even more stable and more productive still, I'm happy to use it.

If you don't want to read the documentation, I guess it doesn't matter how well it's written!

I have read many C2 docs over the years and they were in general at an amateur level. My suggestion is that if you are charging "big boy" per annum prices, that you hire a trained tech writer; at least one - and stop relying on user provided tutorials (unless they are getting part of that per annum charge?). At $99, C2 was "lifetime" and I could overlook the bugs, the lack of documentation, outdated documentation, and the lack of fixes. The new pricing structure demands a higher level of support.

Also, let's not get too carried away with what Construct can and can't do. If you guys are creating Pong via a drag-and-drop application and thinking you're 'devs', think again. What you are doing is locking yourself into an eco-system that demands that you pay yearly or your projects are useless to you. And if monetizing, with the amount of times Construct apps generate violations on Google Play / AdMob - you will be paying for years to support those apps, else you cant update/fix the Google Play violations.

I'd recommend people move over to Visual Studio, an IDE that can export to Windows/iOs/ Android. It is DEV LEVEL and its FREE. As I said earlier, Scirra is charging "big boy" prices now and with beta plugins for monetization, missing plugins for monetization, or plug-ins/bugs that sit unfixed for months, non-action isn't going to cut it.

If you have no interest in monetization, and you just want to pay $99 PER YEAR to show Granny you're a 'dev' and made a game of Pong, knock yourself out.

> If you don't want to read the documentation, I guess it doesn't matter how well it's written!

>

I have read many C2 docs over the years and they were in general at an amateur level. My suggestion is that if you are charging "big boy" per annum prices, that you hire a trained tech writer; at least one - and stop relying on user provided tutorials (unless they are getting part of that per annum charge?). At $99, C2 was "lifetime" and I could overlook the bugs, the lack of documentation, outdated documentation, and the lack of fixes. The new pricing structure demands a higher level of support.

Also, let's not get too carried away with what Construct can and can't do. If you guys are creating Pong via a drag-and-drop application and thinking you're 'devs', think again. What you are doing is locking yourself into an eco-system that demands that you pay yearly or your projects are useless to you. And if monetizing, with the amount of times Construct apps generate violations on Google Play / AdMob - you will be paying for years to support those apps, else you cant update/fix the Google Play violations.

I'd recommend people move over to Visual Studio, an IDE that can export to Windows/iOs/ Android. It is DEV LEVEL and its FREE. As I said earlier, Scirra is charging "big boy" prices now and with beta plugins for monetization, missing plugins for monetization, or plug-ins/bugs that sit unfixed for months, non-action isn't going to cut it.

If you have no interest in monetization, and you just want to pay $99 PER YEAR to show Granny you're a 'dev' and made a game of Pong, knock yourself out.

Cool man, let us know how that works out for you! Good luck! I'll see you at GDC this year, I'm sure!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

>

> > If you don't want to read the documentation, I guess it doesn't matter how well it's written!

> >

>

> I have read many C2 docs over the years and they were in general at an amateur level. My suggestion is that if you are charging "big boy" per annum prices, that you hire a trained tech writer; at least one - and stop relying on user provided tutorials (unless they are getting part of that per annum charge?). At $99, C2 was "lifetime" and I could overlook the bugs, the lack of documentation, outdated documentation, and the lack of fixes. The new pricing structure demands a higher level of support.

>

> Also, let's not get too carried away with what Construct can and can't do. If you guys are creating Pong via a drag-and-drop application and thinking you're 'devs', think again. What you are doing is locking yourself into an eco-system that demands that you pay yearly or your projects are useless to you. And if monetizing, with the amount of times Construct apps generate violations on Google Play / AdMob - you will be paying for years to support those apps, else you cant update/fix the Google Play violations.

>

> I'd recommend people move over to Visual Studio, an IDE that can export to Windows/iOs/ Android. It is DEV LEVEL and its FREE. As I said earlier, Scirra is charging "big boy" prices now and with beta plugins for monetization, missing plugins for monetization, or plug-ins/bugs that sit unfixed for months, non-action isn't going to cut it.

>

> If you have no interest in monetization, and you just want to pay $99 PER YEAR to show Granny you're a 'dev' and made a game of Pong, knock yourself out.

>

Cool man, let us know how that works out for you! Good luck! I'll see you at GDC this year, I'm sure!

See you there bud. Bring your copy of Construct with you, we will all be fascinated. You could do a demo - wear one of those headset/mic thingies.

[quote:20r11ts6]If you have no interest in monetization, and you just want to pay $99 PER YEAR to show Granny you're a 'dev' and made a game of Pong, knock yourself out.

Money is worthless, just leave and never come back.

[quote:1qw42ysc]

Money is worthless, just leave and never come back.

Try telling Scirra that, per annum. Keep dev'ing my friend!

See you there bud. Bring your copy of Construct with you, we will all be fascinated. You could do a demo - wear one of those headset/mic thingies.

I'm totally serious, actually. Shoot me which talks you're going to via PM and we can talk the realities of game development face to face. My company is having us share passes, so I won't be there every day, but I'm sure we can make it work. I'm generally interested in the design track stuff since that's my day job, but whatever, the place isn't that big.

>

>

> See you there bud. Bring your copy of Construct with you, we will all be fascinated. You could do a demo - wear one of those headset/mic thingies.

>

I'm totally serious, actually. Shoot me which talks you're going to via PM and we can talk the realities of game development face to face. My company is having us share passes, so I won't be there every day, but I'm sure we can make it work. I'm generally interested in the design track stuff since that's my day job, but whatever, the place isn't that big.

Well, look at you. A "serious" game designer, with all the bells and whistles, and using Construct - what are the chances? As much as I'd love to chat "shop" with a total stranger, 'face to face', from a forum, I will decline your offer.

And before you suggest it, you're right - I'm declining your invite because I've never worked at any major software company and have never written a line of code. You win my friend!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)