C3 - I'm not getting it.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.

Hello,

I've been off the scene for a year or so and just finding out about C3 being released. I don't get it. If i monetize some of my apps, C3 costs more than C2, no "deal-breaker" new features, and still all of the hokey, and extremely temperamental, export "to all OS" types procedures.

I have no intention of upgrading to C3 from C2 - why would I ? The main issue with Construct is the problematic exporting to Android/iOS etc, and it seems none of that was addressed. Is C3 just a money grab?

Thanks.

It's certainly a modern business model, which I support, as this app is fantastic.

This is the easiest platform I've ever used to export things to iOS and Android.

JLH1964 C3's New runtime will be a big upgrade.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/204/the-fut ... -3-runtime

C3 has lots of new features like an improved image editor, array/dictionary editors etc, that make development process much easier.

Unfortunately, there are almost nothing new added in events/actions/behaviors.

Also, there are still quite a lot of bugs and unresolved issues.

So if you already own C2, it's probably not worth switching to C3 right now.

But if you don't have C2 license, getting C3 subscription seems like a better choice.

The image editor in c3 is a bugged filled mess and i think has been poorly coded from the start. A lot of bugs have been fixed for it already but its still buggy. Origin points not being positioned correctly or not remembered, graphics glitches when copy pasting, colour palette not be remembered when you leave and comeback, colour picker not working after first click, image editor still crashes c3 on occasions. I fear using it because of the crashes. And still no way to copy and past frames or whole animations between objects, basic functionality like that.

mOOnpunk , Agree, lots of bugs.

To add to your list:

Tolerance slider of the Fill tool is useless (with some images). It changes from 0 to 500, however at 0 it fills nothing, and at 1 it fills almost everything.

Animation speed can be set to negative values.

Copying/pasting images with alpha doesn't work.

Resizing with "Stretch" setting sometimes crops images.

Also the menus are a pain in c3. They work fine in c2 but in c3 they are slow to respond to input and are always resizing themselves.

Remember you can report bugs if you ever find any so they can be fixed!

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues

The main issue with Construct is the problematic exporting to Android/iOS etc, and it seems none of that was addressed. Is C3 just a money grab?

Android exporting is BRILLIANT in C3. Super quick and easy!

A minor hiccup in Admobs, but I've got it working flawlessly (including the new reward videos), and Google Services plugin should have been fixed in latest beta.

I upgraded from C2 6 months ago. Well worth the money!

> The main issue with Construct is the problematic exporting to Android/iOS etc, and it seems none of that was addressed. Is C3 just a money grab?

>

Android exporting is BRILLIANT in C3. Super quick and easy!

A minor hiccup in Admobs, but I've got it working flawlessly (including the new reward videos), and Google Services plugin should have been fixed in latest beta.

I upgraded from C2 6 months ago. Well worth the money!

Correct me I'm wrong but you still can't export a ready-to-ship APK file from C3?

I have no doubt there were improvements to processes in C3, but without a robust iOS/Adroid export it's a pain and not worth the hassle.

My reason for asking is that I just removed 10 apps from my Google Play that I previously created with C2. Over the last 18 months, all 10 fell out of favor with Google for issues with the Cordova plugin - part of the C2 export APK creation dance. For the small amount or revenue they generated, going through the export/XDK dance for 10 game updates just wasnt worth it. I deleted them and went back to Android Studio.

So unless C3 can generate an APK from C3 itself, C3 is still just a fun entertainment app to play at being a developer - certainly not worth the 'dev level' price tag.

[quote:2dpxmggq]Correct me I'm wrong but you still can't export a ready-to-ship APK file from C3?

I certainly can export an "unsigned APK" directly from C3 ... VERY VERY EASILY, compared with the old Intel XDK method.

Here's the process. Bold texts show the number of clicks:

MENU >

PROJECT >

EXPORT >

ANDROID (CORDOVA) >

NEXT (to skip compression options) >

Select Unsigned release APK & press NEXT >

Wait for the upload, and build >

Press the download link in the pop up

Once you have the UNSIGNED APK ... you'll need to sign and zipalign it. I do this via command line prompt (takes 30 seconds for me). THEN it is ready for upload

[quote:1cjy294t]Correct me I'm wrong but you still can't export a ready-to-ship APK file from C3?

I certainly can export an "unsigned APK" directly from C3 ... VERY VERY EASILY, compared with the old Intel XDK method.

Here's the process. Bold texts show the number of clicks:

MENU >

PROJECT >

EXPORT >

ANDROID (CORDOVA) >

NEXT (to skip compression options) >

Select Unsigned release APK & press NEXT >

Wait for the upload, and build >

Press the download link in the pop up

Once you have the UNSIGNED APK ... you'll need to sign and zipalign it. I do this via command line prompt (takes 30 seconds for me). THEN it is ready for upload

That's interesting. Why isn't this functionality clearly documented. If I remember correctly, in C2 I had to juggle a list of XDK projects and pray that XDK never went away - taking my source with it. Thanks for the info - now Im a little more intrigued. Im familiar with Android Studio and signing/zipalign etc.

Have you tried adding ads for AdMob/Amazon yet?

Whoops - I got tempted after reading of export to APK. Went to purchase and the price is PER ANNUM -

hohohoho

No thanks, Scirra you are far from being stable enough to charge per year, like Adobe. My initial post was correct - a money grab.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Clearly documented in the C3 manual here: https://www.construct.net/gb/make-games/manuals/construct-3/overview/publishing-projects, with links to tutorials.

Clearly documented in the C3 manual here: https://www.construct.net/gb/make-games/manuals/construct-3/overview/publishing-projects, with links to tutorials.

Yet not clearly documented where you think it would be, in the list of "new features". I wouldn't expect a user to dig through a manual to discover a critical feature that was constantly requested in C2.

Anyways, its a moot point for me. $150 per year for a game IDE that is bug-filled (as stated, C2 games earned me numerous Google Play warnings for the Cordova plugin) is ridiculous. App revenue from ads is almost dead - Im certainly not working on apps to hand Scirra my hard-earned money each year.

I put up with C2 because it was a one-time payment. Looks like it's time to move on.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)