Android/Google dev account...

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Google Analytics 4 Plugin for Construct 3 enables metrics and analytics for your games easily.
  • I’m ready to start testing my app on my android phone, so I’ll need to register for an android dev account (I think).

Can someone point me towards where/what I need to register along with points on creating signing keys etc so I can publish on the Google Play Store?

Thanks all.

• I’ve just asked this same question on Reddit and someone PMd me an answer...

[quote:3ujubg4i]you can upload it to google play but a sign app can only be done by programing in Android studio. In other words, the files you got now need to be turn into acceptable programs for android devices. After all that mess to make a apk, you can upload it.

im writing this in pm because r/gamedev will block users who speak the truth.

So how do I get to build my app in phonegap then add to the Google Play Store?

Surely many of you have an Android dev account and know the stages of going about this?

• Bootfit you can sign APK files without android studio using either the apksigner or jarsigner command line tools. Android studio basically just wraps those tools to streamline the process. I believe there's more than one way to generate a signing certificate but the main one is using the command line tool keytool. I'm actually in the process of adding APK signing and keystore generation to C3, although it will only work with the build service not Phonegap Build. Although I believe Phonegap build might offer a service to sign your APK for you? It could be on one of the paid tiers though.

Incidentally you don't need a signing certificate to register as an Android developer, and unsigned debug APKs can be installed onto a phone without being a registered developer.

• Bootfit you can sign APK files without android studio using either the apksigner or jarsigner command line tools. Android studio basically just wraps those tools to streamline the process. I believe there's more than one way to generate a signing certificate but the main one is using the command line tool keytool. I'm actually in the process of adding APK signing and keystore generation to C3, although it will only work with the build service not Phonegap Build. Although I believe Phonegap build might offer a service to sign your APK for you? It could be on one of the paid tiers though.

Incidentally you don't need a signing certificate to register as an Android developer, and unsigned debug APKs can be installed onto a phone without being a registered developer.

Hi, thanks for some nice info! This sounds really good!

I have previously used both XDK and Cocoon for apk creation, and I have a keystore file which I used for both. When you have integrated the signing feature into C3, will it be possible to import an existing keystore file for the signing?

fredriksthlm

Sorry folks, I'm new to all this and am gettingconfused.

I thought you had to pay a one-off £25 fee to become and Android dev, or was the £25 fee to be able to post your apps in the Google Play Store (whole thing is confusing me.)

I need to have a signing key to be able to build my app in Phonegap - are you saying I can generate these keys without being an Android dev?

In regards to using the Command Line - I'm working on a Mac so don't have access to a Command Line.

I have downloaded a version of Android Studio though - can I create signing keys etc through this to then use in Phonegap?

Also, whats an unsigned debug APK?

Thanks all - I appreciate all the help you're giving.

• fredriksthlm

So C3 will be able to use any keystore file. When you do a build via the build service it will ask you for a keystore file along with it's alias/key password/store password. We're avoiding storing the keystore itself within the editor. The hope being it will encourage users to put the file somewhere safe/secure and not just leave it in C3, trusting it will always be there. So no "import" is required.

If you want to the editor will also be able to generate new keystores for you. One limitation is that you will not be able to sign an existing APK, it will only work with builds.

Bootfit

The fee unlocks the ability to publish applications to the play store and allows you to use services like In App Billing and Play Games.

Google does not issue you with a certificate, and you don't need to give it to them. You create the certificate on your computer, use it to sign the APK and then give the signed APK to Google. The first time you upload an APK for a new application they read the signature in the APK and that signature is permanently associated with that application. To publish new versions of that application the signature must match the original one, so you need to use the same certificate every time. Once a APK has been signed it cannot be modified, or it will appear as tampered with and it will not be run.

To generate a keystore you need to use keytool which is part of the Java Development Kit ( JDK ). If you don't like using the command line you can use Android Studio to create a keystore for you.

There is a little bit of information on https://developer.android.com/studio/publish/app-signing.html#signing-manually about creating a keystore using keytool and signing an APK using the apksigner tool.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • fredriksthlm

So C3 will be able to use any keystore file. When you do a build via the build service it will ask you for a keystore file along with it's alias/key password/store password. We're avoiding storing the keystore itself within the editor. The hope being it will encourage users to put the file somewhere safe/secure and not just leave it in C3, trusting it will always be there. So no "import" is required.

If you want to the editor will also be able to generate new keystores for you. One limitation is that you will not be able to sign an existing APK, it will only work with builds.

Nepeo

Sounds really nice! Really good solution!

Just a side note, I think it would be good to write a manual of the few steps in Google developer, what is needed to set up to get the plugin to work, with leaderboards and stuff. Even if Google console is not really your product.

Currently many people are writing threads stating errors and bugs here and there, but I guess it is only because they do not know how to set it up in google console.

(same goes for Facebook plugin..)

For me all plugins seems perfect and works fine. (I am just waiting for a Audience Network plugin, then I am all happy!)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)