Android 'back' button...

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Helping streamers give their viewers more excitement.
  • On the Android Core app quality page (https://developer.android.com/docs/quality-guidelines/core-app-quality) there is the following guideline:

Visual design and user interaction

Navigation

• UX-N1 - The app supports standard system Back button navigation and does not make use of any custom, on-screen "Back button" prompts.

I've just checked my app and the back button on my phone doesn't return the user back - I'm not familiar with Android devices, but I'm guessing that a 'back' button in a game app would act in a similar way to the home button and return user to the home screen. The back button only returns me to my home screen if i press it about 15 times in rapid succession.

Des the back button work for anyone else in their Construct apps?

• Iirc you can setup the button within the browser object. It's a bit hidden there...

• Great, thanks 👍

I've dropped in:

Browser > On mobile back button pressed > Browser > Go home

Hopefully that will work.

• Ok, Browser > go home doesn’t work - any idea which of the other options it should be?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Browser > Go back doesn't work either.

Anyone managed to get this to work on their own apps?

• Browser > Go back doesn't work either.

Anyone managed to get this to work on their own apps?

You need a Cordova Plugin for that. Specifically, the Cordova In App Browser. Because the regular Browser plugin isn't compatible with a hybrid application.

Link to the plugin:

scirra.com/store/construct2-plugins/construct2-cordova-plugins-1662

It includes other cordova plugins which might come in handy for your game application. Although, it is a paid plugin collection though. But the price is very reasonable for all those plugins.

• Thanks I’ll look into that. If the regular plugin isn’t compatible with hybrid apps then why is it included? What use is it?

• Ashley - any info on how to get the Android browser back button working?

The plugin set linked to by above doesn’t have great reviews (plugins not working, dev not replying) plus I’d rather use a proper Construct plugin where possible.

Is there a way to get the proper Construct plugin working?

• Ashley - any info on how to get the Android browser back button working?

The plugin set linked to by above doesn’t have great reviews (plugins not working, dev not replying) plus I’d rather use a proper Construct plugin where possible.

Is there a way to get the proper Construct plugin working?

Actually most actually works. You just need to learn it and it is actually documented, just people can't find it inside the .c2addon file. Especially when it was ported to Construct 3.

And also, the InAppBrowser is supposed to work with no problem, the one plugin inside those plugin collection.

• Well either way I’d rather not have to shell out for a third party plugin to get something to work which is part of the android standard app quality lists. If Construct has a plugin for this but it doesn’t work it’s clearly a bug so I’ll have to file a(nother) bug report.

• Well either way I’d rather not have to shell out for a third party plugin to get something to work which is part of the android standard app quality lists. If Construct has a plugin for this but it doesn’t work it’s clearly a bug so I’ll have to file a(nother) bug report.

There is no bug here. The Browser plugin is for the browser. The Cordova plugin is for the Webview.

And the Cordova plugin is not a Construct feature.

We've already tried to ask for those before. But feel free to ask for a feature request again for Construct 3. But if you are going to ask for that feature request, I suggest include all native cordova plugins. Because the InAppBrowser is just a part of the native list. They make more sense in a package.

Although, by experience, you can't just ask Ashley for a feature request. You have to wait in line.

Here :

construct3.ideas.aha.io

You have to wait in line for those people who requested for other features who asked before you.

Like the Asset Bundle for the Android Expansion Files and Construct 3 runtime and complete SDK documentation. Which are more important.

So if I were to guess, it would probably take a year or more for your feature request to be implemented.

• Ah right, thanks. So am I right in thinking that every Android app dev using Construct has downloaded this plugin pack, otherwise the back button on an Android device wouldn’t work while their app was running - not to mention it wouldn’t pass Android’s basic app quality standards?

• Ah right, thanks. So am I right in thinking that every Android app dev using Construct has downloaded this plugin pack, otherwise the back button on an Android device wouldn’t work while their app was running - not to mention it wouldn’t pass Android’s basic app quality standards?

I wouldn't say that it wouldn't pass Android's basic app quality standards. Because, those are all optional features. For example, the Back Button from the Cordova InAppBrowser is a native app feature but still is an optional event trigger.

Because, that plugin only lets you control the InAppBrowser, but the InAppBrowser is technically is the browser you are running your game. So, it's there, but you just can't control it. Unless you use the native Cordova plugin to control it, which is called Cordova InAppBrowser here.

Basically, you can still make an App without a Back Button event trigger. That is just dependent on your app, if it needs it.

That's why Construct doesn't necessarily have to implement this. Hence, 3rd party plugins are made, for game developers who might need them.

Although, Construct Team kind of have to responsibly implement this in the future, for mobile games to be easier to work with on mobile. Especially since this is a subscription software.

• Hi,

I want to go from one layout to another when mobile back button is pressed.

but when i press mobile back button, it is not taking first touch but when i press again it is changing the layout , means it is not taking first touch but second.

how to solve this issue???

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)