In light of the Kongregate exporter, I have decided to release my game beta, even though the Google Chrome mouse/keyboard bug still exists. This is so I can get beta advice quickly and release the full game as soon as Google fixes that bug.
So, I release for public Beta testing my game, Dawn of the Red.
Play it here.
Please let me know what you think of the overall experience. Here is a list of things to report on, in order of priority.
1. Bugs (other than the keyboard/mouse bug)
2. Unbalanced gameplay. This is probably the main reason for beta testing. Making all the weapons, upgrades and their prices, as well as the enemies, balanced is very difficult and that is why I need community testing.
So make sure you report if:
-Weapons are too powerful / not powerful enough RELATIVE TO THEIR PRICE
-Enemies are too powerful / weak
-There are any game breaking strategies
3. Things that NEED to be added.
4. objects without sound effects.
5. Is the tutorial good enough?
6. The first time you play, the main menu button should be 'start' only, which directs you to the tutorial. After the tutorial has been completed, there should be a 'start' button (which goes to the game), and a '-with tutorial' button, which goes to the tutorial.
7. Things that SHOULD be added.
GAME UPDATE 1: Tutorial expanded to include inventory and elevator explanations, also you can now hold down space bar to make the text scroll faster.
GAME UPDATE 2: The elevator is now free and activated by tripping switches on the floor. New scoring system where you get more points faster on higher levels, also get points for killing enemies. The shield now uses energy. The level-specific difficulty increases more slowly.
'New high score' message in Game Over screen.
GAME UPDATE 3: Added tips at the bottom of the game over screen. Hopefully these will help, and build anticipation about weapons which the player hasn't seen yet ;)
GAME UPDATE 4: It was too easy to descend to lower levels. Now there is a 'hacking time' for all elevator overrides.