Robot 505 [DEVLOG] - WIP

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Platform shooter mechanics inspired by an 8-bit blue robot. (mega man)
  • The boss spawn so much enemies... great job! that's really fun... nice design, cool secret places, balanced difficulty..

• Robot 505 Demo Update v0.1.7a

12 Major bug fixes in this update. And 1 Added function.

Bug Fixes :

• Fixed inverse image effect on start for Quantum CPU
    • Fixed 1st Level elevator return – A 3 tier elevator would not return when player was positioned at bottom
    • Fixed Jump & Speed boost issue on death. Speed and Jump boosts are now removed on death.
    • Fixed Jump Pad - double jump bug. In some cases, on landing after a jump on jump pad, jump increase, some times stayed applied to player.
    • Fixed Grenade 0 ammo Bug – When Grenade launcher was collected but out of ammo selecting through weapons would allow for a single grenade shot.
    • Fixed Holo-Spawn next level bug – If a Holo-Spawn was dropped and you advanced to next level. Holo-Spawn would show on initial level entry. Also prevented spawn drop.
    • Fixed Main Boss Defeated Bug – After beating boss – exit remained closed. Now opens.
    • Fixed Boss Defeat score board bug – Score board didn't reflect that round was complete. Stated Level 1 was.
    • Fixed “Can't Kill” Quantum CPU bug – Sometimes the QCPU wouldn't die when HP < 0
    • Fixed Holo-Spawn if door closed for mini boos and spawn point was out side of that area, player could not re-enter mini boss area
    • Fixed “Level Item” HUD image – now shows item collected.
    • Fixed Level overlap / Exit Elevator bug – if player was overlapping the level and pressed down on exit elevator – player could get stuck and not exit level.

Added :

• Added elevator control. If the player is moving up or down up you can press the opposite direction to change elevator direction instantly. Used to have to wait.

Scirra Arcade & Leader Board :

If you want to be ranked for high scores head over to the Scirra Arcade and play Robot 505

PLAY : http://bit.ly/1L0huV8

Downloads for the Robot 505 Demo :

LINKS : http://bit.ly/1F4noDY

• Robot 505 – Devlog Update 7-12-15

It's been awhile since my last post. The game is still being actively worked on, but my time to post has been limited. (work requests, part time job, etc...) I have been working hard on refining the demo. Smoothing out any minor issues, optimizing, small additions, and the final bits I have been putting off.

Minimap Added:

On major update is the addition of a minimap. The minimap helps a bunch with gameplay navigation, for it gives the player a bit more to view of the level area. At the moment it's just a map, and lets you know your placement. It can be turned on and off during gameplay by pressing “M” on the keyboard.

This thread helped me immensely : https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98065&p=949623#p949623

The minimap is pretty simple in terms of usage and execution. I exported my level tilemaps via Tiled as images. I then recolored and scaled them onto a sprite strip in Photoshop. Level tilemaps are 6016 x 6016 and the scaling of the minimap is 16X smaller. (376x376) Each level of the game corresponds to a specific frame of the minimap sprite animation. I'm pleased with the results.. It's pretty lightweight and efficient for it's purpose.

Story Art & Functions:

I put off the story and story art due to changes in direction of the game since day one. I didn't want to have to re-create story elements as the game evolved. With that said the game is at the point where the story and gameplay are pretty well set. I had been mulling over ideas for the story all along, and recently created the story board to help aid with the layout and structure of the story.

I haven't put the actual story text into the demo as of yet. I'm holding off for the “Official Demo Release” which I plan to have done within the next 20-30 days. Though, most of the artwork and layout of the story is in place. (aside from some fun animations )

Keyboard Control:

I'm severely struggling in this department. The biggest gripe from users is controls. I recently updated keyboard controls to WASD and moved the action keys to the opposite side of the keyboard “N,J,K, and L” to help with this... but it seems it's still an issue. I don't play a lot of games with my keyboard, aside from EVE or like first person shooters where WASD and a mouse are key. I developed the game with a controller in mind. It's just way easier considering I wanted the game to feel like an old retro console game.

My only other option is, implementing configurable keyboard controls... Accessible from the start / options screen. I am taking any feedback in this department. If there is a better setup for keyboard controls – I'm all ears.

In other news :

I was recently approached by Mozilla about bringing Robot 505 to their Firefox desktop app marketplace. Seems the people over at Mozilla really dig Robot 505, which is awesome! It's a neat opportunity to see what kind of traction the game will get when placed on a marketplace with 300+ million users. I'm a tad excited and overwhelmed – for it means I actually have to finish the game Considering this is my first real game that people actually play... The pressure is on. Plus it's given me an added boost of motivation, along with helping me decide on the things in game I was unsure about. What stays, what's a good feature, and what could be added to increase gamer experience.

That's it for now. Stay tuned for their will many updates to follow as I nail down the Official Demo Release.

• woooaa!! some nice stuff here

I enjoyed the details and especially simplicity and presence with the animations in story screens

• I was recently approached by Mozilla about bringing Robot 505 to their Firefox desktop app marketplace. Seems the people over at Mozilla really dig Robot 505, which is awesome! It's a neat opportunity to see what kind of traction the game will get when placed on a marketplace with 300+ million users. I'm a tad excited and overwhelmed – for it means I actually have to finish the game

This is awesome - you've been busy!!

• Hey, got around to playing the new demo, feels quite a bit more polished and overall better than last time I played.

Things I liked:

• Shooting things feels good, things blow up quickly, very nice
    • Not taking fall damage is great, thank you for removing that.
    • Gameplay concepts are introduced rather quickly, but do make sense.
    • Shooting things feels reeeaaally good, this cannot be stressed enough. You have nailed the feeling of shooting stuff.

Things that could use improvement:

• The crusher machines are not very obvious, I was killed several times just from not noticing them. Maybe change up their color to make them more visually obvious?
    • I don't know if this is an issue, but it kind of bugged me: I hopped on one of those crawler bots and tried to run over him to escape, but ended up getting crushed between the corner of the ceiling and the bot.
    • It's kind of weird seeing springs almost flush with the ground, but not bouncing when you run over them. I think it would be better to place them higher up/make them thicker, so it's not as jarring running over them or jumping on them.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. This is really coming along, keep it up! Gratz about Mozilla too!

• Thanks blekdar I appreciate the play, and great feedback. Especially at this point in development the "What I don't like's" is what I am after.

[quote:1wvex3zl]- The crusher machines are not very obvious, I was killed several times just from not noticing them. Maybe change up their color to make them more visually obvious?

The crushers have been an issue. You're right about them not being obvious enough. I notice this when watching people play the game for the first time. I like your idea on changing their colors to make them more obvious.

[quote:1wvex3zl]- It's kind of weird seeing springs almost flush with the ground, but not bouncing when you run over them. I think it would be better to place them higher up/make them thicker, so it's not as jarring running over them or jumping on them.

I'm glad you brought this up. They are one of the few things in game that haven't changed since I first implemented them. Perhaps some artwork adjusting and size changing will alleviate this. I will have to play around. I'm also curious to know if the usage of them is 'too much' At first they aided in reaching tough spots but as the game evolved, and the levels grew - the usage of them increased. Not sure if this is all that good for overall gameplay. In any event I will have to play around with them more.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback!

PS Blitz Breaker is coming along great! Love the addition of the portals.

• You did a lot of good improvements ... awesome work

Congratulations about Mozilla

• More inspiration! Loving this. I'll give your game a play through this evening after work.

Can I pick you brains about a few things regarding the creation of your artwork:

* What are you using to make animations? * When creating pixel styled artwork, what size is the smallest "pixel/block" size used? * Are the particle effects actual particles or pre-animated effect?

Can't wait to see more!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks landman !

You bet

* What are you using to make animations?

It's a combination of methods. Some animations like enemies, are all sprite animations (frame by frame) Player animations are controlled by both frame by frame and some 'lerp' - to create smooth movement. Player is 3 parts (each with animation frames) - connected together by image point and lerp.

* When creating pixel styled artwork, what size is the smallest "pixel/block" size used?

1x1 pixel depth is the smallest. Generally I will create pixel art at it's smallest size and scale up accordingly whether by scaled image increase (via photoshop or art program) or via events within Construct

* Are the particle effects actual particles or pre-animated effect?

Pixel art used in primarily particle effects.

Pushing for an update to demo this evening. Will post on changes, and progress.

• any status updates? you haven't posted in a while.

also, did you use a tutorial or get thread help for your boss' mechanical arm? I'm trying to make a mechanical 2 jointed arm for my player (ship) sans physics..it will be controlled by the right analog stick so that might different than your usage. Haven't been able to find much searching the forums.

• any status updates? you haven't posted in a while.

also, did you use a tutorial or get thread help for your boss' mechanical arm? I'm trying to make a mechanical 2 jointed arm for my player (ship) sans physics..it will be controlled by the right analog stick so that might different than your usage. Haven't been able to find much searching the forums.

I've been slowly working on it.. :/ Made some career changes and really haven't had as much time to work on it.

I asked for help in the forums https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=129001&p=907977&hilit=ropes#p907977 And was directed over here : https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=79670&p=652177&hilit=rope+physics#p652177

To be honest... I don't fully understand how it works.

• Made some career changes and really haven't had as much time to work on it.

cool...I hope the new career is game or art related!

• cool...I hope the new career is game or art related!

I wish it was game related! I actually just got out of the design industry after 13 yrs of freelance work. Had a good run, but needed a change.

• too bad, I wish I could employ you, you have great game-art skills!

but sometimes leaving the "entertainment" industry is good especially when you need more stability..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)