Gangster Tactics: Pile Them In

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Royalty FREE Music for your YOUTUBE / INDIE GAMES / OTHER PROJECTS
  • Totally forgotten about the part that I need to make enemies and differentiate them from the players. I use uniform colors to do so. Not showing the secret enemy stereotype until the demo is ready though

Also working on the turn and status manager for the battlefield. There's are lot of inter-connected arrays that need to be properly arrange to work at optimal result.

Continuing on with the coding until it works or I make a hole in the wall by head bashing it.

• Seth, may I ask how many events you are up to already? Seems like its a MASSIVE game. RPG element with turn based tactics and squad... nightmare thinking of all the coding.

• Seth, may I ask how many events you are up to already? Seems like its a MASSIVE game. RPG element with turn based tactics and squad... nightmare thinking of all the coding.

I use functions a lot whenever possible. So there are no reuse of the same code anywhere hence the current number of events.

The small memory usage is due to simply my small native resolution (320x240) because I am trying to make the game look presentable enough to play without being handicapped too much by my non-existent art skill.

• wow. very few events!

at the time I made esfarelante, I used some 3000 lines of events (of course, without plugins like TileMap, etc)

Congratulations for this, looks pretty neat! Your efforts and dedication are paying off

• Sethmaster - as other members have stated, this game looks awesome. The latest tactics game I played was Rainbow Moon on PS3, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Best of luck and thanks for all the progress updates. It is amazing what you have accomplished so far.

• <div class="self-ref">@Sethmaster</div> - as other members have stated, this game looks awesome. The latest tactics game I played was Rainbow Moon on PS3, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Best of luck and thanks for all the progress updates. It is amazing what you have accomplished so far.

Thanks for your compliment!

Yet another progress report

Finish the round and status manager for the battlefield.

Meanwhile, I also re-factor some of the code to figure out what cause the debug mode to make some of my codes go awry. Finally find out that debug mode in construct 2 can cause all events in c2 to require more time to execute, causing some to time-out if given not enough time to finish. Fixed by just giving more time between each events and moving some third party plugins (notably rexrainbow CSV plugin) upward from the deep nested functions I put them in before.

In addition, I have finish the enemy and player battlefield spawning code.

The enemy is the easy one, the player is the hard one which took me quite a while to do because I mispelt a variable, causing me to spend two hours on debugging why it doesn't work .

As usual, gif to show progress

The Death Cross gang once again marvel at their teleportation tech that they possess, yet wonder why they are not equipped with laser guns.

• And again, the usual progress report

Finish attaching the dialog features with no issue while implementing another much wanted features, the skip conversation button.

While it is annoying to me as a writer to allow people to skip over my writing, especially when I am making a RPG , there are a lot of people out there who enjoy gameplay over story. Besides, it allow for a quicker run if anyone wanted to replay my game (hopefully so).

Also finished the battle start screen. Will focus now on creating the initiative UI at the bottom of the screen and initialize all the rest of the battle UIs that I have previously finished.

As usual, the gifs

Not using the skip conversations version

For one single moment, Patryk thought somebody remember that today is his birthday

The skip conversations version

~Developer-kun~ log 2014 : When I see this feature being used, something inside me die a little

• This looks incredible, so ambitious and you've done so much already

• Yeahh looks really cool Only thing I dislike is the starting screen. Logo is too detailed and nearly unreadable!

• This looks incredible, so ambitious and you've done so much already

Thanks for your compliment!

Yeahh looks really cool Only thing I dislike is the starting screen. Logo is too detailed and nearly unreadable!

Thanks. Well, know that there are many people sharing your opinion regarding the logo .

In my defense, that is a sacrifice for an atmospheric and stylish logo which I believe is required for my game.

Time for a serving of your usual progress report!

Finish the initiative bar. Bugger take me quite a while to finish because of both the assets and coding required.

But the good news is that I finished it and as usual, can call it with just a function.

Also finish the battlefield selection and scrolling.

Coding the scrolling is easy like hell while the selection require a bit more work since I never done it before.

In addition, I also tune the battlefield placement/deployment screen with some extras to improve the UI's user friendliness.

(Totally not because I forgotten about it in TO the first time around)

As usual, gifs to show progress:

The improvement to the battlefield placement/deployment screen

A new and faster way to send your men and women to their doom!

Initiative bar

Everyone in the battlefield try not to know how ~Developer-kun~ got the heads for the bottom bar

Scrolling and Selection

Although they are curious about why a hovering golden arrow keep popping up in the battlefield

• Finish all the basic battlefield controls.

The B button to go back to the character whose have the current turn, the Start button to open up the options and the the A button to open up choices regarding the selected character.

With just all that done, I will now concentrate on the save and load features.

Will trying to attempt to have unlimited saves despite what I have stated in the past because I have a good idea on how to implement that without screwing myself over with a lot of workload or causing bugs.

As usual, gifs to show progress

Hopefully the quit button is not the first button people pressed when they see my game

• Finish the save and load features!

Took way more time than I thought because I am an idiot who key in the wrong set of properties and didn't know it until much later.

Yes, the save feature in this game in Unlimited saves . Moreover, a new save slot is set on the every top of the Save UI so the player have not need to scroll down to get to the empty save slot ala XCOM : EU.

The load work as well as expected.

The next task is to setup all the other features for the options buttons bar and to setup the save and load on much earlier layouts. As usual, these features are designed to be easily called via just a function. Make every features I have connect to each other easily with minimal fuss.

Probably will think of some way to make the save slots look even better.

As usual, gif to show progress

Unlimited saves! Now, you can send your ret.... gangsters to die in hilarious ways with no remorse (like you have any before)

• Finish the options bar for mission UI and nearly finish it for the battlefield UI, with the exception of the Gangsters List, which gives details about all the people in the fight.

No idea on how to make the save slots look nicer, so will leave it finalized just like that.

Will finish the Gangsters List UI after this.

As usual, gifs to show progress:

Mission UI Options Bar

Battlefield Options Bar

• Sethmaster - keeps looking better and better. You are very fast with your updates and development. How long have you been working on this now? How many hours do you put in per day?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sethmaster - keeps looking better and better. You are very fast with your updates and development. How long have you been working on this now? How many hours do you put in per day?

Thank you. It is nice of you to say that

I think around two months or so? Still have plenty to do though.

I think I usually put around two to four hours to develop the game, often during the weekdays and spent more time on it during the weekends.

Some of the reason for my development speed is largely thanks to my initial decision to write and setup my plans for the game into breakable tasks, which I keep track off via trello.

Most of it is largely thanks to the my understanding and ability to use Construct 2 to its fullest.

Also Rexrainbow plugins

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)