[Feedback] Dialogue Box For Lazy People

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • Hey, do you think you could make a version without the avatar faces? I'd would want to use that as a basis for the one I'm editing.

Also, you might want to simplify the xml file format or at least provide some sort of guide on how to build proper dialogs. A question, if we're using say, multiple entities (npcs, signs, etc), how would you differentiate from them in order to tell the dialogue system which part of the xml file is for which npc/sign?

Yes you're right, I think I will do some kind of tutorial about writing the XML. Maybe a dialogue editor later if I'm not too lazy.

It's very easy to remove the faces, you just have to omit the avatar_animation attribute in a TextLine. The default animation is transparent. You can also enlarge the text to fit all the box. If you do this you may have to change the position of the Imagepoint "text" of the Box object.

Dialogues are differentiated by their id, for example I can have the two following dialogues:

<Dialogues>

<Dialogue id='npc1' key_next='32' key_faster='88' key_up='38' key_down='40' first_line_id='0' typing_sound ='typing'>

<TextLine id='0' id_next='end' box_animation='Default' >You can find rupees in the bushes.</TextLine>

</Dialogue>

<Dialogue id='npc2' key_next='32' key_faster='88' key_up='38' key_down='40' first_line_id='0' typing_sound ='typing'>

<TextLine id='0' id_next='end' box_animation='Default' >The triforce will grant you a wish.</TextLine>

</Dialogue>

</Dialogues>

If I want to call the dialogue "npc1" I will call the function dialogue("npc1"), and if I want to call the second one, I will use dialogue("npc2")

Hope I was clear enough

• Yeah, this is some nice help, and a dialog editor later would be awesome! A couple of handful paid store dialog systems have dialog editors, so you adding one would create some nice competition, especially since yours is free? I think.

• Yeah, this is some nice help, and a dialog editor later would be awesome! A couple of handful paid store dialog systems have dialog editors, so you adding one would create some nice competition, especially since yours is free? I think.

If I make a dialogue editor it would be free too. I don't know if it will be as good as the dialogue box and editors you can already find but at least it could help some people that don't want to pay.

• LaDestitute

I've just written a quick tutorial that describes the XML

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/5373/how-to-use-the-dialogue-box-for-lazy-people

• Haha, thanks! That was the best demonstration ever and I think this will be useful for a project I'm working on!

Thumbs up.

• Haha, thanks! That was the best demonstration ever and I think this will be useful for a project I'm working on!

Thumbs up.

Thanks! If you use it, tell me if you want some things to be improved. I'm working on a (very basic) dialogue editor now, to make it faster and simpler to write the XML.

• You've been doing a good job, but any plans to optimize and/or cleanup (i.e, make it use less events if possible, which should be a little bit just for optimization's sake) the event logic? You could maybe use an array in place of a bunch of global variables, as long as you're able to read/save array values properly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You've been doing a good job, but any plans to optimize and/or cleanup (i.e, make it use less events if possible, which should be a little bit just for optimization's sake) the event logic? You could maybe use an array in place of a bunch of global variables, as long as you're able to read/save array values properly.

Haha yes, the more I add things the more it becomes a mess. I didn't think I would use as many variables when I started, and I kept adding them. I will do a clean up of variables and events tomorrow (Peruvian time zone). It'll be better to put all the variables in a dictionary.

Today I made some changes, and now the text resizes itself when it's too big for the dialogue box (except for choices, but I have to improve them first).

• LaDestitute

I just did an update, all the variables are in a dictionary now, I tried to remove a few events too.

I also improved the choices too, before you could have at most 3 different choices. Now you can have as many as you want and the text will automatically resize itself to fit the box.

I will work on giving the possibility to use the mouse, gamepad, and touch in addition to the keyboard-

• Thank you so much for the tutorial, the example and the capx files !!!kqs@bbenny93

Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, when I call the function"dialogue" every thing freezes and I get this message on the console :[Construct 2] Function object: called function '', but no event was triggered. Is the function call spelt incorrectly or no longer used?

This happen when I use either "intro" or "skip" as a parameter when calling the function.( i'm using the dialogue xml that come with the tutorial)

When I don't use parameter or misspell it "skiip" the game wouldn't freeze and I get a dialogue box created but no more,

Any of you encountered this issue ?

and

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it ?

• Thank you so much for the tutorial, the example and the capx files !!!eab@bbenny93

Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, when I call the function"dialogue" every thing freezes and I get this message on the console :[Construct 2] Function object: called function '', but no event was triggered. Is the function call spelt incorrectly or no longer used?

This happen when I use either "intro" or "skip" as a parameter when calling the function.( i'm using the dialogue xml that come with the tutorial)

When I don't use parameter or misspell it "skiip" the game wouldn't freeze and I get a dialogue box created but no more,

Any of you encountered this issue ?

and

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it ?

brandonP

I haven't been online a lot lately so sorry for the late answer. I've never had this problem (yet), can you give me link to a .capx with this problem?

I just added a new feature today, so check out the new demo and the new .capx

• bbenny93 no worries, thank you for the tremendous work you have done, So it seems that I had a conflict with ONE variable that I called "c" XD, I fixed it tho

For the warning that I told you about on my first message, you still see it even with the capx that you provided, check the console (f12) it's just a warning

• bbenny93 no worries, thank you for the tremendous work you have done, So it seems that I had a conflict with ONE variable that I called "c" XD, I fixed it tho

I will put all the local variable in the dictionnary so it doesn't happen anymore

• Looks very useful. funny example on arcade ^^

• brandonP

I uploaded a new capx with the names of the local variables changed. Other people shouldn't have this problem now

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)