Strange Sound Problem with Internet Explorer 9/10

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A collection of 10 amazing pixel blood sprite sheet animations for your incredible games
  • If you are hosting your game on the web, the web server has to have the correct mime types set, this tells the web server what types of files it can serve. In my case I use hostgator as my host and they allow me to go in and set the mime types. You can check the manual entry here on the site for audio and sounds and it has a section that tells you what the correct mime types are for playing audio in Internet Explorer. Ogg and the other formats where already there, I had to add an entry for .m4a. You can find out more in the manual here: http://www.scirra.com/manual/84/sounds-music

• awesome! I'm using hostgator as well. I got it to work! That's awesome. I'm glad there was a solution! I wonder why IE11 and it's predecessors are picky while Chrome and FireFox (and likely Safari) are cool with it.

• How can your demographics show if IE users want your games when you don't support them?

What I added to my web.config file:

<staticContent>

<mimeMap fileExtension=".ogg" mimeType="audio/ogg" />

<mimeMap fileExtension=".m4a" mimeType="audio/mp4" />

<mimeMap fileExtension=".webapp" mimeType="application/x-web-app-manifest+json" />

</staticContent>

The last one was for Firefox's market for the manifest it needs to load off my site.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • part12studios it's not that they are picky or cool with it, it's that they support different audio types and most hosts seem to not enable m4a by default. It's a web server thing that interferes due to browser differences.

• i see, yea I just assumed that if a file is uploaded, it can be accessed, but I've learned something new! Thanks. Problem resolved and sound is working. I have only tested on IE11, but I'm sure 9 and 10 would work now as well.

Thanks!

Caleb

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)