How do i stop lag from an event that has ended...

0 favourites
  • HI, im new to construct and i think its the best since i first used it in my TAFE course...

I'm making a survival platform game, the layout contains caves and I've made an object (named "light") with the bullet behavior that travels down and when it collides with the stone that's exposed to the sky (as real caves are)it changes it from a darker stone to a lighter stone.. after this process occurs it lags like crazy.. i think it might be lag from the event, but the event ended, how do i stop the lag from it?

Ive tried it without these "light" objects and it only lags very minutely at certain points..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• i just realized this post is in the wrong category.. can a forum admin please move this chat to the "how do i..." forum?

thanks

• Shadowfox9356493 YOu may want to post a .capx file showing your issue as it will make it much easier for us to figure out where the issue is occurring. 99% of the issues with things like this usually come down to how your events were implemented or what order they take place in...

• As much as this would help, i don't wish to publish my game draft just yet, i like to keep my ideas to myself and my friends, but what im using for lighting the stone entrances to the caves is an invisible block called "light" that has the bullet behavior and is traveling downwards.. once it collides with dark stone the "light" is destroyed and so is the stone and a light stone is spawned in place of the dark stone.. i had the light block rotated 90 degrees so it travels downward at a speed of 80 and an acceleration of 50, i don't quite understand why this simple event lags the game so much...

• As much as this would help, i don't wish to publish my game draft just yet, i like to keep my ideas to myself and my friends, but what im using for lighting the stone entrances to the caves is an invisible block called "light" that has the bullet behavior and is traveling downwards.. once it collides with dark stone the "light" is destroyed and so is the stone and a light stone is spawned in place of the dark stone.. i had the light block rotated 90 degrees so it travels downward at a speed of 80 and an acceleration of 50, i don't quite understand why this simple event lags the game so much...

Post at least a screenshot of these events, it's impossible to help otherwise. My guess is, you have an event that is constantly triggered and possibly spawning some items and causing lagging.

• Ok, but how do i post an screenshot here?

• If this is the case of an event repeating how do i stop this loop?

• You could add a condition to the trigger that checks the object to see if the object exists, or is already lit. You could set a variable and add the condition to see if it is already set.

Or use the system event, "Trigger Once while true."

Lots of ways, but they depend on your events. But actually you sound like you may have most of that covered, in that everything you were checking is destroyed.

Could you make a small demo capx that works similar to what you are doing that we can make suggestions for?

• Ok, but how do i post an screenshot here?

You can upload your screenshot to imgur, dorpbox or whatever free services there are and post the link to it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I found the problem :D it WAS the event being repeated, i just tried a stop loop action and it works, it lags during the process of lighting but afterwards its back to normal.

Thanks for your help.

I'll try different ways to try and make this lighting effect consistent so if any light blocks are destroyed the dark block underneath is then lit..

If anyone has any suggestions ill try them, any help is greatly appreciated.

• Wow.. i just had the weirdest bug.. my player jumped and landed on one of the light stones and fell into it.. i tried a few more times then i fell through it and fell to the bottom of the layout that had solid blocks all the way down xD luckily i set bound to layout xD

• There is a bug with the solids that allows you (the player) to fall through at the layout border, does anyone know how i can fix this?

• There is a bug with the solids that allows you (the player) to fall through at the layout border, does anyone know how i can fix this?

Like we've said, post either a .capx of your problem or screenshots of the events, otherwise we really can't help. :)

• I made a quick demo for you to show us what's happening, but you were too fast.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85412219/forumposts/Shadow.capx

Are you mixing "Solid" with "Physics?" They aren't really compatible. Notice in my demo, (which used the Scirra example that comes with Construct2) nothing is "Solid" they are all just using physics behavior.

• My game has no physics at all.. but im going to have it so the player cannot reach the layout border, therefor preventing this solids error..

what is the most efficient (least laggy) way to make an object travel downwards?

If there is a good way i can then allow my lighting system to be consistent...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)