I used C2 to make a serious game, actually an interactive research, where the player is questioned which of 3 gifts he/she should give to his/her 3 sons.
There are 10 questions, each one asking who should receive each item. The "offline" version of this test is already made and works, but I need it to be able to be played online and without the presence of the researcher.
To play the game, the user should receive a link or URL and play it in his device (Desktop preferred). This link should take him to a page where the game is hosted, and take the test.
After the session, the researcher has to receive the answers of the test in a google sheets file or another convenient way to analyze the data of all who responded.
My questions are:
1) Where should I host the game, assuming the client/researcher has provided no money for renting domains, but still be able for the player to access the game and send in his results? Is it possible, although not recommended, to host it on Scirra Arcade for instance?
2) How should I store and manage the answers ingame? Should I create an Array and store every value? How different players will be indentified in the report?
3) How to finally export this data to Google Sheets or another convenient way for the researcher to do his job?
Thank you for your help and patience with my limited knowledge.
1. You should probably look at services like itch.io, where you can publish your game for free. I don't know if any of them have an option to make "private game", so that only people who have the link could see it.
2. It's up to you, you can store them in an array or dictionary or even add answers to a single string. If you don't want to ask people to enter their name/email, then you can probably generate a random name, say "player984761023"
3. I know how to submit data to Google Spreadsheet, I actually did a similar project recently. But this is not something that can be explained in a single post.. I was meaning to create a tutorial about this, but didn't have time. If you have a couple of days, I'll try to get all the information together.
There are other ways you can do this, for example with Firebase.
dop2000 Thank you for your answer!
I'll be very grateful if you could make that tutorial on sending data to Google Sheets! because I already tried a lot of stuff and not a clue :(
I got like two weeks before sending the working version to my client, so, I can wait.
Meanwhile i'll be working on storing data and learning what firebase is about.
I uploaded the project to itch.io and it is neat! Runs smooth as silk.
If you want to see it, here's the link:
It's in portuguese but think it's easy to guess what's going on.
PS: The code generated at the end is total BS and will not be used anymore.
Thanks one more time. You guys in this forum are awesome.
Ok, I did it, my first tutorial! :)
Let me know if you have any issues.
dop2000 Thank you so much. I don't even know what to say!
I'll give you feedback on the tutorial as soon as possible.
Everything went better than expected.
dop2000, your tutorial, script and sample file worked perfectly and there was no struggle. Thank you one more time!
Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.
This is great, thanks for the feedback!