How do I create an automatic visual novel script?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hi there. I'm trying to create a automatic script system for my game. I'm not sure how to go about this. I want to select all the text after "." "!" "?" And place all the text after this character to the next (X) array until there are no more text.

Example:

<hint id='text1'>Hi there. How are you today? Doing well I can see!</hint>

converted to:

<hint id='text1'>Hi there.</hint>

<hint id='text2'>How are you today?</hint>

<hint id='text3'>Doing well I can see!</hint>

Tagged:

• Here is a good example, it uses xml to store dialog options:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-2/how-do-i-18/zelda-dialogue-system-capx-117812

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Here is a good example, it uses xml to store dialog options:

https://www.construct.net/en/forum/construct-2/how-do-i-18/zelda-dialogue-system-capx-117812#forumPost857678

Thank you, this is super close to what I'm looking for. I had no idea you could insert text into XML files.

Do you think there's a way to select text after a certain character?

• Do you think there's a way to select text after a certain character?

Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean highlight text after some tag?

• > Do you think there's a way to select text after a certain character?

Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean highlight text after some tag?

Oh sorry let me explain. I need to delete the first sentence after it's displayed, then move the rest of text to the next line of dialog.

By doing this I won't have to separate the text into individual XML/array lines. Rather then placing all the text I need into the first slot, then retrieving the next sentence.

Example:

text1: Hi there. What's up? Nice day today.

text2: 0

converted to

text1: 0

text2: What's up? Nice day today.

• I don't know.. I never used this template, but I'm sure it can be updated for your needs.

• I don't know.. I never used this template, but I'm sure it can be updated for your needs.

Good news! I just found a way to move the script, but... I'm still baffled on how to delete the first sentence.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)