Zelda Dialogue System (capx and demo included)

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • DEMO (non-Gamepad|DEMO (Gamepad)

CAPX (non-Gamepad)|CAPX (Gamepad)

I made a modification of bbenny93's simple dialogue system, which can be found here. It's pretty much a reskin but it's retooled to work with a ALttP style spritefont and textbox. It has text skipping, letter by letter text, choice dialogues, all that good stuff! You can also see bbenny93's guide on how to make your own dialogue xml, which this version follows as well, structure wise with the xml file.

It doesn't have avatars or animated textbox like the original but also has a tiny addition: an example of how to play music during dialogue via the xml dialogue file with a function. To start a dialogue (such as interacting with a sign), just call a function named "dialogue" with your xml dialogue section's ID as it's parameter zero.

[quote:dyq50dbd]<Dialogue id='intro' key_next='32' key_faster='88' key_up='38' key_down='40' first_line_id='0' typing_sound ='typing'>

If you want to import this into your project, assuming you have all the basic parts of a project (keyboard, function, AJAX, etc), you will need to copy and paste the following objects into your project:

[quote:dyq50dbd]ProjectVariables (dictionary, global)

Text Spritefont (named SpriteFont)

Choice Spritefont (named SpriteFontChoice)

Cursor sprite

Choice_next (array, global, 10/1/1 size)

Textbox sprite

Typing and Text Done audio files

SpriteFontImporter (array, global, 10/1/1 size)

YourVariables (dictionary, global)

• Updated capx and demo with gamepad support added.

• Released a sort of hotfix tonight for both versions. Both have a minor change (integrating the music function into the main event sheet for the dialogue) but the gamepad capx also has touchscreen support now, if you want to test it on a mobile device (either via preview through lan/local IP address or the demo page)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

I made a modification of bbenny93's simple dialogue system, which can be found here. It's pretty much a reskin but it's retooled to work with a ALttP style spritefont and textbox. It has text skipping, letter by letter text, choice dialogues, all that good stuff! You can also see bbenny93's guide on how to make your own dialogue xml, which this version follows as well, structure wise with the xml file.

It doesn't have avatars or animated textbox like the original but also has a tiny addition: an example of how to play music during dialogue via the xml dialogue file with a function. To start a dialogue (such as interacting with a sign), just call a function named "dialogue" with your xml dialogue section's ID as it's parameter zero.

[quote:3ijlxst1]<Dialogue id='intro' key_next='32' key_faster='88' key_up='38' key_down='40' first_line_id='0' typing_sound ='typing'>

If you want to import this into your project, assuming you have all the basic parts of a project (keyboard, function, AJAX, etc), you will need to copy and paste the following objects into your project:

[quote:3ijlxst1]ProjectVariables (dictionary, global)

Cursor sprite

Textbox sprite

Love it! Great work. I struggled a lot on my own to build such a dialog system without using XML (it's not supported on cocoonio). So I made it with a JSON file.

What's the license of the capx file? Can I use it in my own game?

I love your artwork!

Thank you

Regards

Andy

• > DEMO (non-Gamepad|DEMO (Gamepad)

> CAPX (non-Gamepad)|CAPX (Gamepad)

>

> I made a modification of bbenny93's simple dialogue system, which can be found here. It's pretty much a reskin but it's retooled to work with a ALttP style spritefont and textbox. It has text skipping, letter by letter text, choice dialogues, all that good stuff! You can also see bbenny93's guide on how to make your own dialogue xml, which this version follows as well, structure wise with the xml file.

>

> It doesn't have avatars or animated textbox like the original but also has a tiny addition: an example of how to play music during dialogue via the xml dialogue file with a function. To start a dialogue (such as interacting with a sign), just call a function named "dialogue" with your xml dialogue section's ID as it's parameter zero.

> [quote:1r9wozse]<Dialogue id='intro' key_next='32' key_faster='88' key_up='38' key_down='40' first_line_id='0' typing_sound ='typing'>

>

[quote:1r9wozse]ProjectVariables (dictionary, global)

Cursor sprite

Textbox sprite

Love it! Great work. I struggled a lot on my own to build such a dialog system without using XML (it's not supported on cocoonio). So I made it with a JSON file.

What's the license of the capx file? Can I use it in my own game?

I love your artwork!

Thank you

Regards

Andy

License would depend...I based it on another's capx but someone using it is fine with me. Though, keep mind, you'll want to change up the assets for the textbox/font as they're direct Nintendo sprite-rips and so are obviously copyright infringement.

I also just updated both capxs and demos. This new change is better line wrapping!

• Thanks for the information and update

Regards

Andy

[quote:15fbavvr]<Dialogue id='intro' key_next='32' key_faster='88' key_up='38' key_down='40' first_line_id='0' typing_sound ='typing'>

[quote:15fbavvr]ProjectVariables (dictionary, global)

Cursor sprite

Textbox sprite

Can you please fix the dl for the capx. thanks in advance

• file not found

• have a chance to fix the capx link? ^^

• Here are the links:

CAPX (non-Gamepad)

CAPX (Gamepad)

• Thanks Striimix

• I have two questions:

How could I change when to go to the next line if I'm not using the same spritefont?

How could I move the cursor up/down on mobile?

I have issues when I change the spritefont, as it spills out of the box when a line has more than 44/45 character (I think it's because of this), I opened a new topic too to ask, but maybe you can help me faster. I slightly changed textbox size, now it is 300*100.

Thanks in advance for the help and let me know if you need any further information!

• In case anyone has issues with the typewriter effect i posted a slight fix in this thread

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/how-do-i-8/dialogue-system-issue-140906

• Hi guys, anyone has the capx for the gamepad version? I downloaded the one from the link striimix posted, but actually it's the same capx version of the non-gamepad link.

I'm trying to figure out myself how to make it work on mobile, but if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

LaDestitute do you still have the capx?

Thanks in advance guys!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)