How big can I go?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • Doe's anyone know how far the construct 2 editor can be pushed?

By this I mean could I create a truly massive game with hundreds of levels and characters?

• Your own reason, logic and skills are only the limits of C2 editor. You can easily make 999k x 999k layout with 999 levels and make it work perfectly, and also you can make 1 level on 100x100 layout working like shit

• Yeah I've known for awhile that construct 2 is an amazing editor it's just been one of them questions on my mind especially since I've taken on a large project that so far I been working on for three months.

• Doe's anyone know how far the construct 2 editor can be pushed?

By this I mean could I create a truly massive game with hundreds of levels and characters?

You could stress test the engine yourself by using a loop that creates and/or destroys objects repeatedly. Depending on how far you get - you'll notice your machine (not the engine) as the main hindrance.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • the problem is not the ability of the editor or the code, it's really a problem of how well you can organise your events. If you end up with hundreds of event sheets, it can become VERY difficult to track down where each bit of code lies, do you really know whether you've caught all references to an object or a variable before you delete it.. etc.

The C2 editor doesn't provide the development support needed to help you with large projects... it does not stop you, but it is limited in the things that help make your life easier. It's one of the reasons for C3 I believe.

If however you can structure you code in such a way that it's pretty much a common core with data for 1000's of levels, then you don't have a problem at all!!! try to keep to good programming practice, and you'll be fine.

• Yup, as rho already pointed out structuring your event sheets seems to be the biggest hurdle for me. I generally make an event sheet for every object type and then organise all the events in a "folder" structure. So for my player it would be:

Player

Player/Initialize

Player/Update

Player/Update/Move

... and so on.

There were several times I tought Construct 2 messed something up, or something wasn't working just because of the engine, but I have always(ALWAYS) found out in the end it was my own fault(forgeting to pick objects properly, mostly).

So, yeah, I think it's possible to make whatever you want with this amazing tool.

• Right now, our primary layout is 10,000 px x 10,000 px with around 30-40,000 sprites visible at once. It works, but it is pretty taxing even on fairly beefy machines at the moment.

• "30-40,000 sprites visible at once" - could you show a screenshot of that, it feels like a lot of object to display at once !

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)