Any Xbox One can now be a dev kit, any benefit for C2 users?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • So today it was announced that every Xbox One console can now be used as a dev kit, and it appears that the games will be running under UWP apps. I was wondering if this will be of any benefit to C2 users looking to get their games on Xbox, or if it's something that doesn't change anything for us.

I've never tried getting a game on Xbox, so I don't know if C2 games are already on Xbox One, or if this will even help towards getting them on there if they're not. Thoughts?

• Just adding a link with more info,

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/30/113185 ... ne-dev-kit

• Just adding a link with more info,

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/30/113185 ... ne-dev-kit

Thanks Scofano, I forgot to link the same article!

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I know C2 can export to a format for the windows store, is this what they're talking about when they mean UWP games? I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

• Slightly off topic, you can play games through the Xbox One's browser, as long as your game is set up to use a gamepad. All the buttons are mapped correctly and performance is pretty good.

Just input the URL in the browser and the game runs much like it would on PC.

• Slightly off topic, you can play games through the Xbox One's browser, as long as your game is set up to use a gamepad. All the buttons are mapped correctly and performance is pretty good.

Just input the URL in the browser and the game runs much like it would on PC.

Yeah! I read about that a while back. I am interested however on whether or not this will make it possible/easier to get a game on XBLA.

• Universal apps should cover everything.

This just feels like a ploy to sell more Bones.

Won't be long till developing for Windows desktop doesn't have much to do with exe anyway.

Too bad the store sucks.

• Yeah! I read about that a while back. I am interested however on whether or not this will make it possible/easier to get a game on XBLA.

I brought it up more as a way you can test your game without having to compile it as a UWP.

Also, I know that when the dev mode is fully released you will only have access to 1GB of system memory, which seems like a real let down.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see what comes of it. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get C2 games running on the console, as it's essentially a mid-grade PC running windows 10.

• What base code does an UWP app use? I read some tutorials and what I got out of it is that HTML5 code will run as an app without any packaging. Am I getting this right?

The 1GB system memory is indeed not too much. :/ Still, I think it's a great opportunity for the devs to get their games to Xbox. To be realistic, you can't expect a player to type in the URL of your game in the browser on their console.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I tried it last night but there seems to be a problem, well for me at least.

To use your Xbox as a dev kit you need to have the latest version of the Windows 10 SDK, however construct 2 will not let me export using the latest SDK as I get a "is not a supported value for targetplatformversion" error.

So will have to wait until C2 supports the latest SDK before we can test on a retail dev kit.

Unless I've missed something this seems to be the case.

• Any estimation on long it would take Construct to support that?

• I tried it last night but there seems to be a problem, well for me at least.

To use your Xbox as a dev kit you need to have the latest version of the Windows 10 SDK, however construct 2 will not let me export using the latest SDK as I get a "is not a supported value for targetplatformversion" error.

So will have to wait until C2 supports the latest SDK before we can test on a retail dev kit.

Unless I've missed something this seems to be the case.

Are you talking about this error?

I'm pretty sure the problem is on MS's end. If you open the Dev Home app you can see the OS version is "10.0.14290.1014" and it needs to be "10.0.14295.0" or higher, so until they release an update there's no way of doing it I think.

• > I tried it last night but there seems to be a problem, well for me at least.

>

> To use your Xbox as a dev kit you need to have the latest version of the Windows 10 SDK, however construct 2 will not let me export using the latest SDK as I get a "is not a supported value for targetplatformversion" error.

>

> So will have to wait until C2 supports the latest SDK before we can test on a retail dev kit.

>

> Unless I've missed something this seems to be the case.

>

Are you talking about this error?

I'm pretty sure the problem is on MS's end. If you open the Dev Home app you can see the OS version is "10.0.14290.1014" and it needs to be "10.0.14295.0" or higher, so until they release an update there's no way of doing it I think.

Nope, that's a different error.

This is the exact error:

Error "10.0.10240.0" is not a supported value for TargetPlatformVersion. Please change it on the Project Property page."

My best guess is that the C2 exported was designed with the 10.0.10240.0 SDK in mind and when the SDK was updated by MS the exported was made obsolete. I may be wrong but that's what it seems like to me.

I had this error before I tried exporting to the Xbox, re-installing the previous SDK fixed it.

• OK, all working now.

With the visual studios update 2 and the new windows sdk everything seems to export perfectly now.

Managed to get my build working on my Xbox One today.

Wasn't running very well but I guess a big part will be down to the 500MB RAM limit we're restricted to at the moment.

Still amazing to have it running on console! Other than the slow down everything seemed to be intact. Controls were great and Web GL effects were all there.

All in all pretty awesome

• So I'm unfamiliar with Windows SDK installs - does it require a reinstall of my current version of Windows 10?

I'm part of the IDmhx@Xbox program and would like to give this a try porting over one of my Wii U games - after which I would record footage of the game launching on Xbox and send it over to Microsoft for further review. So any help getting me up and running by those who already have would be great.

-Mike

• So I'm unfamiliar with Windows SDK installs - does it require a reinstall of my current version of Windows 10?

I'm part of the IDmhx@Xbox program and would like to give this a try porting over one of my Wii U games - after which I would record footage of the game launching on Xbox and send it over to Microsoft for further review. So any help getting me up and running by those who already have would be great.

-Mike

Nope, you just need the updated windows 10 SDK.

Have a read through here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... er-preview

That should help.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)