Will sunsetting C2 destroy my project, long term?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play

When I purchased C2, I chose it over c3 after I read this:

"Unlock ALL Construct 2 features

Unlock your full creative potential with a full Construct 2 license.

Best of all it's a one-off payment, all updates to the Construct 2 Editor are free for life! And we don't require revenue share from your hard work."

I have spent two years developing my school's software, with this in mind, that I will safely do so, "for life".

So is the sunsetting of c2, also sunsetting my school software? I have spent thousands of hours and piles of cash on this project...

I can't upgrade to c3, because a couple of plugins I use are not available in c3 (multiplayer function etc)

I am worried, and was misguided by this: "all updates to the Construct 2 Editor are free for life!"

Mostly worried in case of browser changes / updates, that might break my browser based system I built using c2...

Please understand, I am genuinely worried for my business (My entire homework / exam system is built using c2)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

scirra.com/construct2/releases/r279

It was retired in July, and there's already a release for a bug fix.

That should be some indication.

I would worry more about Java screwing things up.

scirra.com/construct2/releases/r279

It was retired in July, and there's already a release for a bug fix.

That should be some indication.

I would worry more about Java screwing things up.

They are stopping support July 2021, nearly another year...

Yeah the third party stuff is what you have to worry about.

Thats Chrome, Nwjs, and Java basically. Chrome, and Nwjs should be fairly safe though.

They will likely fix any specific C2 bugs that crop up, if they can.

The construct team got the cash and moved on to construct 3. Typical business plan.

Sorry about your school project man..

No software is supported forever. C2 is coming up to 10 years old. Retirement and replacement by a newer version is a normal thing that happens in the software industry, pretty much no matter what software you use. We've been phasing out C2 slowly and making announcements along the way to give everyone plenty of time to upgrade.

No software is supported forever. C2 is coming up to 10 years old. Retirement and replacement by a newer version is a normal thing that happens in the software industry, pretty much no matter what software you use. We've been phasing out C2 slowly and making announcements along the way to give everyone plenty of time to upgrade.

You said all that, without answering my question or helping with my concerns about my system coming crashing down when you stop support.

How often do you come across a critical thing that for example, java or google changed, that would break c2 games?

This is all explained in the blog post Sunsetting Construct 2. As noted there, we will only do essential bug fixes and compatibility updates until July 2021. Beyond that date there will be no further support at all.

Given that I was the sole developer ever working for Construct 2, and this is a similar support period that Microsoft provides for Windows with thousands of developers all over the world, I think this is a pretty reasonable life cycle for the product. If you still need active support and new features, you can upgrade to Construct 3, and you have about a year to work out any compatibility problems if any come up.

Again, not what I asked, but thanks for even more reasoning behind your lifetime support ending.

I will ask one more time?

Do many compatibility issues come up? We only export to Chrome. I have looked through the updates, and mostly find issues for mobile etc...

I am asking this, because we are weighing up our options.

Different options take different amounts of time...

Do we go through two years worth of code, and try to change it for c3? (untold hassles ahead)

Do we re code EVERYTHING in c3?

Or move to a different platform?

An entire school relies on this software, our whole life depends on it.

I can't predict the future. Sometimes things come up, sometimes they don't.

Construct 3 is virtually 100% compatible with existing Construct 2 projects. Normally the only significant issue is the use of third party addons, which are the responsibility of their respective developers. Often there are built-in alternatives or other third-party addons supported in C3 that can be used instead though.

Asking anyone to outright state the future of technology is simply bad faith business - especially as we have no idea exactly what your project entails.

The product is supported until next year, after which you're on your own. If your project is a simple 2D app that has minimal dependencies, it's probably going to be okay, barring some fundamental web architecture changing, which is often highlighted well in advance.

Having used C2/3 for almost a (oh God) decade, the engine very rarely actually breaks - it's often specific feature on a specific platform - depending on what this is, you could refactor your project to work around it.

I would say your best bet would be to port your project to C3 - there's a whole community of us that would be happy to help, and you've got roughly a year in which to do it.

More information could help here - if it's a kiosk style bit of software, you could fairly easily simply lock the hardware to a specific browser and never update it - plenty of museums have done this with Flash based projects, and Director before that.

We only use two 3rd party plugins. They are not available for c3.

MPSyncFunction

MPWrap

I wonder if we could pay someone to convert them over?

We heavily rely on these for most of our work...

Asking anyone to outright state the future of technology is simply bad faith business - especially as we have no idea exactly what your project entails.

The product is supported until next year, after which you're on your own. If your project is a simple 2D app that has minimal dependencies, it's probably going to be okay, barring some fundamental web architecture changing, which is often highlighted well in advance.

Having used C2/3 for almost a (oh God) decade, the engine very rarely actually breaks - it's often specific feature on a specific platform - depending on what this is, you could refactor your project to work around it.

I would say your best bet would be to port your project to C3 - there's a whole community of us that would be happy to help, and you've got roughly a year in which to do it.

More information could help here - if it's a kiosk style bit of software, you could fairly easily simply lock the hardware to a specific browser and never update it - plenty of museums have done this with Flash based projects, and Director before that.

Thanks for the input...

We were developing it to be a SAAS for language schools, and heavily using it in our own school.

I wasn't asking to predict the future. I asked "Do many compatibility issues come up?" He vaguely answered my question. It seems we have to make a very big decision now.

My team and I all purchased c2. We came over from unity two years ago. Turns out it was my error for misunderstanding the meaning of "updates for life". Silly me. How could I have missed that! Haha. Of course that means "Two more years, then you're on your own."

Ah well. This is business as usual I suppose.

"Customers who purchase Construct 2 on or after 1st February 2017 (the launch announcement date) will be eligible 100% discount on the first year subscription price for a license of the same type or lower (where Business is the highest and Personal is the lowest)."

So we got ours after Feb 2017. Can we get the discount? We are also a school. How does this work?

Genuinely looking for answers to the above question here.

I was told to upgrade so I am enquiring about our upgrade options.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)