SOLVED - AJAX email sending works for HTML5 website export but not APK - any ideas?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Hi guys,

As the title says, I have built an app in Construct2 and part of the functionality sends an email via javascript and the AJAX object.

This works perfectly on my phone when I export it as an HTML5 website, but when I export it as a debug APK (using Cordova) the email sending does not work, but the rest of the app does - any ideas, am I missing something obvious?

I have used code snippets that people have posted as examples and as I say it works when running as a site.

This used to work when building the APK via Cocoon.io but since they are no longer providing that service I have switched to Cordova and it no longer works.

The javascript that gathers the data from controls in the app is as follows:-

"document.getElementById(""myText2"").select();document.execCommand('copy');"

and the AJAX commands are:-

Send

Tag: "Email"

URL: "http://www.myurl.com/c2mail.php"

Data: "subject="&Subject&"&message="&message&"&email_to="&email_to

Method: "post"

Request

Tag: "sent"

URL: "http://www.myurl.com/c2mail.php"

Contents of c2mail.php

<?php

$to = $_POST['email_to'];

$subject = $_POST['subject'];

$message = $_POST['message'];

$headers ='From: fromhpx@email.com' . "\r\n" .

'Reply-To: fromhpx@email.com' . "\r\n" .

'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

echo "Message sent at ";

echo date ("h:i:s");

?>

My device is Android 9 - I am wondering if this is something to do with it, I wonder if it requires an SSL cert on the URL domain?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

• It's probably CORS (i.e. cross-domain requests). Also some platforms now block insecure HTTP completely - you really should be using secure HTTPS for everything these days. Mobile apps may also need extra configuration to whitelist which domains it's allowed to communicate with.

• Thanks Ashley, it WAS the platform (Android 9) blocking HTTP.

As this is only an app/website I use personally I decided to fix it by adding the following line to the AndroidManifest.xml file:-

android:usesCleartextTraffic="true"

This allows HTTP requests, not ideal for everyone but works for me so including here as a possible solution.

Thanks for your help though as it pointed me in the right direction,

Cheers,

Jason.

• For the record, SSL is easy to get on websites nowadays via LetsEncrypt - there's no real excuse for HTTP in 2019

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think both Android and iOS are slowly moving towards blocking insecure HTTP completely with no configuration options to side-step it. The current situation is probably a stepping stone to that point. So I'd recommend just using HTTPS as a future-proof solution - using the configuration may break again in a future version of Android since they're motivated to remove it.

• For the record, SSL is easy to get on websites nowadays via LetsEncrypt - there's no real excuse for HTTP in 2019

Hi Elliot, I tried LetsEncrypt but my hosting provider doesn't allow 3rd party SSL certs and want to charge me £50 for the privilege of using theirs. Unfortunately I paid in advance for the hosting so don't want to move to a new hosting company until this ends - so that's the excuse for me. :)

As I mentioned this is a service used solely by me, there is no sensitive data, so for me it works - that said as soon as my current contract expires I will be moving to one of the LetsEncrypt preferred hosting partners.

Thanks guys!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)