Preformance issue on mobile

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
A simple fun and stylish endless scroller game ready to be customized and published.
  • Around two years ago I made a game called Gerdi for mobile. Even though it was a really simple game, the performance was really bad. It was playable but the frame rate was awful. I was ok with it because it was 2014 I knew Android and iOS were still trying to add better support for HTML5. So I waited till I saw Ashley 's blog about Mobile performance on 2016. After reading the article I decided to remake my game, optimize the events, redesign the sprites and backgrounds and update the whole game. So I was done and decided to test the game on some devices and again it was awful. It hasn't changed at all, it still runs like 2 years ago. Even for the first version I did whatever The Performance tips article said. Didn't use any text objects, and at maximum there are around 30 objects on the screen (after playing around a minute or two (6 or 7 are particles), at first there are only 6 or 7 objects) and the frame rate is below 30 even at the start of the game. Just check it out for yourself and tell me what I have done wrong: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/other-games/gerdi-1476

you can play the pervious version on Google Play, I haven't updated the game due to bad performance: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... erdi&hl=en

• Number of objects does not impact the performance in your case for sure. I have a game where I have high hundreds of objects at one time and the game works with 60FPS on SGS4. I guess your problems is the code or rendering (lots of effects blend modes?). Have you checked in debugger which part of your game is heavy? What consumes the most CPU?

If you could share the capx, it would be much easier to say what's wrong. But such game should run perfectly fine on average mobile.

• Number of objects does not impact the performance in your case for sure. I have a game where I have high hundreds of objects at one time and the game works with 60FPS on SGS4. I guess your problems is the code or rendering (lots of effects blend modes?). Have you checked in debugger which part of your game is heavy? What consumes the most CPU?

If you could share the capx, it would be much easier to say what's wrong. But such game should run perfectly fine on average mobile.

Even the previous version which I didn't use any effects and blend modes on runs terribly, and for the newer version I use few blend modes and effect throughout the game which I dont think affect the performance really. The thing is the game runs terribly from the start, when there is only few objects and only one effect is on. I'm not comfortable to share the capx for this game but I will check in debugger and will have a new post about it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • So I previewed the debugger on my galaxy tab 10.1

In Profile Tab the FPS was below 20

The Draw Calls was consuming around 6%

The Engine was 3%

The Events was 5%

(sometimes these three would go around 10% t0 13% for 1 second)

The CPU was consumed around 15% to 25% overall

The image size was 125mb (because of the high resolution)

• Check chrome://gpu in the Chrome browser on the device. The most common performance problem is buggy GPU drivers forcing the browser to use software rendering. The chrome://gpu page will tell you if it's actually using hardware acceleration.

• Check chrome://gpu in the Chrome browser on the device. The most common performance problem is buggy GPU drivers forcing the browser to use software rendering. The chrome://gpu page will tell you if it's actually using hardware acceleration.

Everything is using hardware acceleration except Multiple Raster Threads which is disabled and Native GpuMemoryBuffers and Video Encode which are Software only

• I checked your game on Samsung Galaxy S4. It works perfetly fine. I'm afraid there's some problem with Galaxy Tab's, not with your project. A year ago I've relesed a Quiz game (simple static game) to Google Play which in quite short time hit around 10 000 downloads and recieved quite big amount of bad reviews not because the game was bad but because it was either not working at all with certain devices (black screen, flickering screen) or was very laggy (low FPS). I had to disable download possibility for all those deviced to prevent further bad ratings. The list of uncompatibile devices includes the whole Galaxy Tab 3 series. I'm not sure about Galaxy Tab 10, but it looks like it's the same problem.

• Galaxy Tabs are notorious for being bad with wrapped html5 games (or even in the browser), and have a long tradition of being so. Banning them is the only way to keep your reviews clean.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)