Can we port from C1 to C2?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • Is there a way that we can we port games made in Construct to Construct 2?

Please answer, thanks!

• The thing is I and my team want to make a standalone Indie game that we can sell, but we also want to make it available online and our preferred method is either Java or HTML5 of course and It would be awesome if the limited demo version could be available free online in html5? Just wondering if that is possible yet? Thanks for taking your time to read and respond!

• Is there a way that we can we port games made in Construct to Construct 2?

Please answer, thanks!

It is not at the moment.

And porting a project that would rely on custom plugins will also be even harder as it will require that same plugin to be coded in javascript for C2.

The thing is I and my team want to make a standalone Indie game that we can sell, but we also want to make it available online and our preferred method is either Java or HTML5 of course and It would be awesome if the limited demo version could be available free online in html5? Just wondering if that is possible yet? Thanks for taking your time to read and respond!

Well at the moment C2 is in pre-alpha releases and totally free of charge. In the future, licenses might be determined by Scirra.

So asking about a "limited demo [which] could be available free online" ?

I'm not even sure what you mean, but as I said, as of now, Construct2 is nothing more than the soft you download at the moment.

Same about different exporters. At the moment only html5 exporter exists, but in the long term there are planning to have other exporters.

So I'd advise you and your team to keep working on Construct Classic for now (it must be the most advanced version of your project anyway) and when the time is right, go and make a version HTML5-oriented with C2.

Or try doing both at the same time if the ressources of your team allows it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's doubtful that a good C1 to C2 project converter can be made for a number of reasons:

• they don't implement the same features (C1 has many features C2 doesn't have, and C2 has some features C1 doesn't have)
    • HTML5 is totally different to making DirectX EXE games, and supports different features again
    • even with features C1 and C2 share, there are lots of subtle differences, like C2 being 0-based and C1 being a mix of 0-based and 1-based. So it's likely anything you import will be broken in various places anyway.

Re-making a project in C2 is the best thing to do anyway - you can design it specifically for HTML5 running in a browser, rather than crowbarring a DirectX game in to a totally different environment.

• That's not entirely true, there seems to always be a way, even if it means just a plugin which allows a game made in CC to run in C2 in html5 format but not actually be in that format...if this can be done then it could be a solution and I know on allot of other professional engines out there they have the feature to port to just about every other form, but whether they can alter there project after that port or just play the game within that format is a question I don't know? But some kind of feature like this will be extremely valuable if someone is able to make it! I would contribute but unfortunately I am more of a visual based person and less of a programmer! Thank you all for your feedback though!

• DavioWare Replied....

Yea, you will have to create the game twice, most probably. Rojohound (another forum member) had released a simple tool which converted cc projects into C2, but it's far from perfect and I wouldn't rely on it to completely convert a game. In the future someone may be able to come up with a decent converter though. It probably won't be perfect but it can save you some work. (importing graphics, etc.)

Thank you DavioWare I will have to speek to rojohound about this sometime then!

Sorry about posting the question twice Ashley, I was having problems with the internet and thought it didn't post correctly! :P

• If we make any game with C2 for html5, and in future we have and exe exporter, will be any problem exporting to exe?

• No, in that case the exporter can be specifically designed to work seamlessly with existing projects.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)