Is Pixel Perfect Font Rendering Possible?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Creepy Sprite Font suitable font for your Dark/Horror/Halloween games.
  • I'm creating a game which requires clear, pixel perfect font rendering. Spritefont works, but it's terrible when it comes to scaling and the default C2 Text object suffers from poor font smoothing by the browser. C2's editor view is so far doing the best job and is pixel perfect.

Is there any way to disable browser based font smoothing?

Here is an image to demonstrate my point:

[Left = In-Editor | Right = NWjs Preview (Chromium)]

[Top text = Spritefont | Bottom text = Text Object]

• scaling SpriteFont "should" be okay as long as you have Point on.

however, if you are upsizing the entire game this has many inherent issues.

is your text doing any sort of movement or animated scaling?

• scaling SpriteFont "should" be okay as long as you have Point on.

however, if you are upsizing the entire game this has many inherent issues.

is your text doing any sort of movement or animated scaling?

I have it on point but spritefont text scaling isn't the main issue. It's more an issue with the text object being blurry by default, inside the browser.

Integer letterbox scaling works fine but I would still prefer non-letterbox scaling. It seems to be impossible to get it pixel perfect with Spritefonts, since that looks even more blurry in comparison with the text object when scaled.

• I know the Text object is a Form control and I don't think Construct can do much there.. but with SpriteFonts you should be able to do anything you want having perfect pixels when scaling.

drive.google.com/file/d/1mjEO_9pxkprzcZCn6BRJdVOdT6Z2tkX6/view

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I know the Text object is a Form control and I don't think Construct can do much there.. but with SpriteFonts you should be able to do anything you want having perfect pixels when scaling.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjEO_9pxkprzcZCn6BRJdVOdT6Z2tkX6/view?usp=sharing

That's pretty much the same as it looks on my end. Downscaling is still an issue though and looks bad with Spritefonts. I'd really prefer to fix the text object instead of using spritefonts.

If you for example scale down the window size, the text object is still readable (even with the blur issue) in comparison with the spritefont:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)