Is performance really that bad?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • This is exactly what's stopping me from buying Construct 2. I keep hearing about the performance being garbage, and as I plan to make a big game with Construct 2.. I'm rather worried!

I was considering alternatives like Gamesalad, Stencyl, etc, but it seems to me that Construct 2 came out on top, seeing as it's also developing fast!

(Though Stylus has a better arcade, why is that? I must admit, even though it looks like Construct 2 is better... the arcades really aren't convincing me! You should REALLY ask people to start uploading, err, better games to the arcade)

Anyway, can Construct 2 keep up?

If not, please do suggest what other software I could use.

• Arcade is shit, I have no idea why they keeping it here. It's disgraceful.

Construct 2 performance is not bad, lazy people who thinks the software should do everything what they dream of with one button press says that kind of idiotic things.

Construct 2 performance is bad if you don't know what you are doing and expects miracles to happen - by itself.

Don't say I can't write if you don't even know how to use the pen.

C2 is great and very flexible engine for probably every 2d game genre.

You are talking about big games...like most new and ambitious people here, but did you take a few second to think what exactly "big game" means? What you expect from big games to be?

I can easily suggest you to use Unity or UE but what for? To make big game? big games needs time, money and knowledge. Do you have them all to work on a big game in whatever engine you will choose?

• Arcade is shit, I have no idea why they keeping it here. It's disgraceful.

Construct 2 performance is not bad, lazy people who thinks the software should do everything what they dream of with one button press says that kind of idiotic things.

Construct 2 performance is bad if you don't know what you are doing and expects miracles to happen - by itself.

Don't say I can't write if you don't even know how to use the pen.

C2 is great and very flexible engine for probably every 2d game genre.

You are talking about big games...like most new and ambitious people here, but did you take a few second to think what exactly "big game" means? What you expect from big games to be?

I can easily suggest you to use Unity or UE but what for? To make big game? big games needs time, money and knowledge. Do you have them all to work on a big game in whatever engine you will choose?

Yessir.

Have a few people lined up and we were thinking of going for Unity 2D, but saw a glimpse of Construct 2.

Knowledge? That needs to be acquired. Of course, I'm going to make a bunch of smaller games before I take on the big project to understand how the engine works.

However, I rather mess with the engine I'd like to work with from the get go, so I don't waste time in another one!

Time? Plenty dedicated to this! At least 8 hours a day.

Money? We do have a pixel artist on our team (the rest will be handled by me and the rest).

edit: Please tell me by the way that Construct can create games the same quality as the Stencyl arcade. If it couldn't.. that'd be upsetting! Though it should, but just incase, I'd like some reassurance.

• Anyone who is serious about developing would think nothing of spending £80 on a possible tool that has the potential of earning you up to £5000 before needing to upgrade to a pro license.

If it doesn't end up fitting the bill, for whatever reason, it is still one of the fastest tools around for prototyping ideas.

• C2 is not a big investment... at all. Even the Business License is dirt cheap compared to other pro-applications out there (PhotoShop). You can use it for free up to 100 Events which is more than enough to test it's performance for yourself.

Learning to use C2 would never waste anyone's time. It will only make you better. It will teach you about game programming.

When will people learn that it's not the tools that matter, it's what you do with them? You can make a great game out of a cardboard box...

• edit: Please tell me by the way that Construct can create games the same quality as the Stencyl arcade. If it couldn't.. that'd be upsetting! Though it should, but just incase, I'd like some reassurance.

Yes, There's plenty of beautiful games (even released on mobiles, steam..) made with C2... but not in the Arcade.

• AesopWatt :

As other said, the scirra arcade is bad, it was planned to be changed, but it did not for some reason I am not aware of.

Performances wise, C2 on desktop doesn't have too much issues, on mobile it is another story (but still doable), but all in all, C2 is notorious for bad performances because mainly, since it targets non programmers, people just assume that it should also target people that don't design correctly a game, on top of that you add complaints from people actually trying to make a game running on a weak phone while only testing on rather powerful PC (rule number one of multiplatform: you target multiple platforms, and not all platform is as powerful as others, so keep testing on a low-point target). There are also people trying to begin with one enormous project, that ends up learning to use the tool while doing it, which can ends up with a lot of little+big mistakes being made.

Also C2 is, contraty to belief, pretty open, and thus is easily prone to the user doing non-sense that is functionnal, but far far from optimal, C2 makes the programming easier, but you still have to design it carefully, without letting the game do too much useless things (although on PC it seems even really bad design seems to work well sometimes due to the actual performances of the engine + browser that are really good).

And to finish, the development time of a game in C2 is pretty good, but for more informations about how to design well a game, and use the tools C2 provides the best way you can (while keeping everything clear and organised), there is the manual, the experience will help of course too, and soemtimes tutorial, but I'll say be wary of tutorial, sometimes they are more functionnal than clean, so always try to get what is behind something that works in a tutorial so you can use it the best way you can think of (that is also applicable in other engines I guess, always try to see what is best when it is needed).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • When will people learn that it's not the tools that matter, it's what you do with them? You can make a great game out of a cardboard box...

Sacred words.

• Though Stylus has a better arcade, why is that? I must admit, even though it looks like Construct 2 is better... the arcades really aren't convincing me! You should REALLY ask people to start uploading, err, better games to the arcade

All I can say is, AMEN. This has been my biggest issue with the arcade. Users upload their junk tests (and even the result of following a tutorial) to the arcade instead of trying to put out a well designed game.

On the other hand, as Aphrodite said, Construct is a tool. It only works as well as the person using it. You can make extremely high quality games. You just need to take the time to learn the tool. The only reason so many projects have such bad performance is, the people making them don't optimize them. This will happen with any tool you choose.

• Lots always complain about bad performance, but honestly I haven't found it to be a problem. Try for yourself and see: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... free&hl=en

This is my performance test game that I run on a lot of devices, iPhone 4 cannot handle it, but iPhone 4S onwards do it easy, even Android devices from 2010 (HTC Incredible S, dual core, 512mb of ram) run it smoothly.

It uses a LOT of objects, particles, behaviors AND webGL shaders. Baiscally all the fundamentals of whats required for a good game, but in a small and simple design. Took me a day to make it.

Big games are also possible, but currently only through Crosswalk/XDK due to its memory management. We're still waiting for monetization support from XDK though. Smaller games (less art asset, doesn't mean "small game") run great with CocoonJS & Ejecta.

• edit: Please tell me by the way that Construct can create games the same quality as the Stencyl arcade. If it couldn't.. that'd be upsetting! Though it should, but just incase, I'd like some reassurance.

The answer is, "It Absolutely Can!" When you look at the Stencyl arcade, the one thing that the game there have is, attractive graphics. The graphics are not the game. If you want to make a game as "high quality" as those on the Stencyl site, all you need is a really good artist and someone familiar with Construct. Construct is, in my opinion, a much more powerful tool. It can do pretty much anything Stencyl can and more. That also means it is more complex. Adding power almost always adds complexity which takes time to learn.

Your concern is, you don't see the same quality of games on the Scirra arcade as you do the Stencyl arcade. That is an issue with the people submitting their games to the arcade. Not an issue with the tool creating the games. Here is a list of a few games made with Construct that I think will show you what it can do:

http://dirigogames.com/?page_id=114%22

http://www.rustwork.com/games/evolve/

http://www.superubieland.com/

http://mortarmelon.com/

[Edit] I removed a link to a game called "Bumper's Quest." I saw a game-play video for it some time ago and liked the look of it but, it never had a playable demo and doesn't appear to have changed since 2012. Sad because it looked like a really good project.

• I guy that is serious made this game in C2

The next Penelope, look that up,

There's Super Ubi Land

Bumper's Quest

Airscape, which got greenlit

Dethlands, by the creator of Bumper's Quest

Towerclimb? Not really sure if CC or C2

Arima is working on Shards, which is an RPG

Etc.

Those are all pretty big games and they all handle mostly perfectly

• I guy that is serious made this game in C2

The next Penelope, look that up,

There's Super Ubi Land

Bumper's Quest

Airscape, which got greenlit

Dethlands, by the creator of Bumper's Quest

Towerclimb? Not really sure if CC or C2

Arima is working on Shards, which is an RPG

Etc.

Those are all pretty big games and they all handle mostly perfectly

Generally PC games don't have a problem with performance. All the performance complaints are usually on mobiles.

• When people pose these questions I see replies saying that C2 is a powerful tool and can handle any 2D game, but I never see an actual comparison to similar software. Is C2 objectively as good as the likes of game maker and stencyl? Sure, using C2 incorrectly leads to poor performance, but if game maker can handle it (for example) then that makes game maker a better option for a beginner. I understand that it's hard to be unbiased when you've already invested in one game engine, but I can't find a genuine comparison of the options for making a 2D game.

• Game maker is older than C2 and has it's own language, the gmscript, you must have some programming experience to use it at it's full potential, the GM users, or most of them, know what can be done and what can't be done, how to optimize and what happens under the hood, that's good and bad, good as C2's target audience is bigger and bad as it's mostly less cultured in computer science, that may lead to bad usage of the engine and blames when even the hardware can't manage it, that leads to many differences between a GM beginner and a C2 beginner, remember, C2 is (kinda) just as GM, a compiler with a GUI and a library, compiling your events into a JavaScript output, thus, limited to what JavaScript can do

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)