List of should-eventually-be-implemented features

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Template for scrollable list, fully documented in comment and video
  • Note that this topic is NOT for features that have been officially implemented in C1 and will eventually be implemented in C2. This is a topic to list features that are NOT in C1, but people think should be implemented in C2.

I've noticed that there's been a couple of topics with requests for eventual features that the majority posting in them think should be implemented, so I've decided to create a topic to list them.

* Data Structures/Arrays and a Visual Array Editor: Many people and I personally think that in-built, multi-dimensional arrays, along with an in-built, Excel-like editor (of course, Excel/OpenOffice Calc importing in the meantime wouldn't hurt) would benefit Construct 2 greatly, especially in the creation of complex games like RPGs, or even doing stuff like cutscenes to save files, keeping track of unlocked content, online and offline statistics... There are so many complicated things that could be vastly simplified and made less time-consuming to create, with a visual array editor alone.

* Tile Map/Level Editor: Calls for such an editor have been around since C1 for a considerable amount of time, and there is no reason not to have one of these. It speeds up the level creation process easily, especially in the case of, say, isometric visuals and such. Being able to import Tiled tile maps would be a very good start.

If there's any more features that many people think Construct 2 either needs or would really benefit from, I'll update accordingly.

• Just as an addition to that Tile Map thing, a proper Isometric engine would be awesome.

Also, I can't believe there hasn't been more conversation about the online capabilities. What's the deal there?

• When you say "Being able to import Tiled maps", do you mean at runtime or in the layout editor? Also Tiled is not the best tilebased editor out there I'd be happier with something built into C2.

• [quote:2zda7hzh]When you say "Being able to import Tiled maps", do you mean at runtime or in the layout editor?

The latter, duh.

Also Tiled is not the best tilebased editor out there I'd be happier with something built into C2.

It was just an example for a program to make tile-maps that can be imported, honestly. But to be frank, it'll be quite good as an outside tile-map editor until an in-built editor is implemented in C2, and it helps that the XML format it uses it easy to import.

• Well I had to ask, geez. A while back someone figured out how to load Tiled maps during runtime but I thought it was completely useless. Just making sure that's not what you were going for.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The feature I would love most would be for debug mode to be able to watch the xml event sheets at runtime and when they're updated by saving, update the internal events without having to recompile like lua does. That's right, instant editing of the running game while it's running.

That would make the testing process a gazillion times easier and quicker. No more 'tweak, compile, get to the section of the game, test, restart process' - you could simply leave the game running while you worked on it (this would only work while you're working on the code tho, I woudn't expect other edits like inserting new objects to show up as well).

• In regards to lvl editor i whink the priority should be like this:

• Brush sets: normal brush, spray, fill

-tileset support

-autotileset support

tilesets are very efficient especiely if you want to keep size of of your game low.

• Can I make two suggestions? Please?

Formula Input information: Just like Excel. When I start typing something like "clamp(" it'd be nice to see a little drop down that displays what I need to enter, such as "clamp(value, lowerbound, upperbound)" with the current entry point bolded. I think this would especially help people new to Construct so they wouldn't have to go digging through forum posts or the wiki.

New Blank Subevent: This one makes me a little crazy. I want to move some pre-existing conditions to a subevent position, which happens ALOT. Right now, I have to (1) right-click on a event (2) select �New subevent� (3) select an object after the object selector loads (4) select any condition, usually a click-and-go one like �always� (5) delete the new condition (6) move the pre-existing conditions to the newly blank subevent... Argh. It'd improve work flow if I could simple (1) right-click on a event (2) select �New Blank subevent� (3) move the pre-existing conditions to the blank subevent.

• Also, would anyone find a EventSheet "Event Code Text Import/Export" feature helpful? I find myself writing Construct code in text files when I'm away from my home PC quite often (such as on my cell while on the bus or at work ). It's be great to export my Eventsheet as text, go somewhere, add in a few things, go home and upload the text file and have it populate into events if formatted correctly.

Of course I have little programing knowledge so it's be an undertaking for me, so I'm just curious if I'm the only one who would find it useful.

• Formula Input information:

Have you tried the latest build? Try typing lerp(. You get exactly what you describe.

[quote:2sj4vkn6]New Blank Subevent:

Added for the next build.

• I'm new here and to programming in general so go easy. Lol.

I would suggest a built in library or what you all I suppose call a plugin of some sort that incorporates php and mysql.

Allow the programmer to set variables in mysql, insert php code and such and auto populate the mysql info into an sql database.

I may be covering something that Construct 2 already does, however I haven't yet seen any db files in any of the samples people have constructed.

• I'm new here and to programming in general so go easy. Lol.

I would suggest a built in library or what you all I suppose call a plugin of some sort that incorporates php and mysql.

Allow the programmer to set variables in mysql, insert php code and such and auto populate the mysql info into an sql database.

I may be covering something that Construct 2 already does, however I haven't yet seen any db files in any of the samples people have constructed.

I'm not quite sure what you are really willing to do. Though I guess you should take a look at python's documentation to see if the standard library can't fit your request at the moment.

If not I suggest you to rewrite a preciser review of what your needs are and what you would like to see implemented.

I also use this post to link to a request of mine that got no answer so far from the dev staff.

I'd like to know if the ideas I'm depicting in this post are either already doable in some way (if yes, please tell me how to), likely to be implemented in Construct 2, absolutely ridiculous and will never make it to any Construct version.

Thanks for your time.

• Hi Kyatric,

Sorry we didn't reply to your other thread! The great thing about HTML5 is it comes with websockets, and AJAX requests. Both of these features we plan to fully support with Construct 2, and aim to make it as easy as possible to make multiplayer games.

I did read your other post, and have been thinking about it. It's difficult to do, but it's something we are thinking about a lot. Node.JS would be a great candidate for Construct 2 built server applications.

With HTML and AJAX requests, it will be really really easy to make requests to servers with HTTP requests to execute certain SQL commands, and retrieve data. Websockets will be more functional for streaming/realtime data.

Tom

• I suggest you to rewrite a preciser review of what your needs are and what you would like to see implemented.

Okay. Basically a built-in IDE that allows php and mysql interoperability.

For example: In the first layout is a splash screen where the user can login or register. The inputs are sent via php to a mysql database. If the user id and password exists in the mysql database the next layout is displayed. If the user is not logged in an error message is displayed.

Register brings up a new layout where the user can create a user id and password and populated into the mysql database.

Example 2: After loged in the user's character picks up a "usable item". The sprite for the item is destroyed on the main window but populates in the items inventory. Likewise, if the user utilizes the item from their inventory the sprite in the inventory is destroyed and that object's/sprite's event is run.

Example 3: User's character takes damage from hazardous object. As far as I have seen in most of the examples so far, the health of the character is maintained in a js file which can be very easily hacked by anyone who knows js. If health/HP level is maintained as a variable in a mysql database and only accessed server side via php, it cannot be hacked by simply changing a js file.

Example 4: User's character triggers battle sequence. New layout opens showing character sprite, moster sprite, HP, etc. (Similar to Final Fantasy 1 battle scenes) User clicks button to attack. Character sprite movement etc. Deals damage to enemy- damage dealt represented in message. Enemy responds dealing damage to character-damage dealt represented in message. HP level decreased. Character deals damage to enemy reducing enemy HP to zero. Enemy sprite dissolves. Victory message displayed. Stat change message displayed ($, Experience, etc...). Sequences back to prior layout before battle scenario layout triggered. New HP/MP/$/Exp variables updated.

Those are just a few examples. What I am suggesting is an IDE implemetation to Construct 2 to quickly and easily add mysql variables and php script. Just as it is easy to add a sprite and set js script events for it, Constrcut should just as easily set mysql variables and set php scripts to manipulate and work with them. (IMO )

• With HTML and AJAX requests, it will be really really easy to make requests to servers with HTTP requests to execute certain SQL commands, and retrieve data. Websockets will be more functional for streaming/realtime data.

Tom

Wait??? Let me be sure I'm reading your response correctly. HTML5 allows AJAX XMLHttpRequest objects within js files?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)