Crosswalk Intel XDK experiences

• mrexcessive make sure you are using the right Build Settings tab.

• There are 2 things that trip people up. As codah says, make sure you are changing android-crosswalk, not android in build settings. Second, make sure you upload the project after changing settings. You have to click on the crosswalk build tile to get to the dialog that lets you upload. If you have just done a build then you have to close the current build dialog to get there.

mrexcessive make sure you are using the right Build Settings tab.

• codah

IntelRobert

Thank you... yes you're right that is a trap, but (on this occasion) it wasn't that problem I think probably I just copied the wrong .zip file across *slaps forehead*

One strange thing with the XDK production route is that the APK files are approximately 20Mb each, but the HTML5 version is total of about 2Mb. That feels like a lot of cruft to me ? Is there some way to easily strip out things unused from APK files ?

• hello there can't run my apk. its just give me black screen and then close. im using AdmobAds, Audio, Browser, Multiplayer and WebStorage. is crosswalk working fine with thise objects?

• You have 2 options for android and XDK. You can build with 'Crosswalk for Android' or 'Android'.

Android gives you the same thing you get with phonegap build. APK is small. When a user has a phone earlier than 4.4, you won't have webgl, hardware acceleration for graphics, etc. For some games, these features don't matter--you need to test your game on some older phones to know.

Crosswalk puts the chromium webview into your APK, which uses about 16MB of space. It only works on 4.0 and later, but gives you all the features of a recent chromium on all phones.

codah

IntelRobert

Thank you... yes you're right that is a trap, but (on this occasion) it wasn't that problem I think probably I just copied the wrong .zip file across *slaps forehead*

One strange thing with the XDK production route is that the APK files are approximately 20Mb each, but the HTML5 version is total of about 2Mb. That feels like a lot of cruft to me ? Is there some way to easily strip out things unused from APK files ?

• IntelRobert

Thank you for the explanation of the difference... I'll consider which to target next game not this time, but worth thinking to reduce size for simple things I make

• Crosswalk puts the chromium webview into your APK, which uses about 16MB of space. It only works on 4.0 and later, but gives you all the features of a recent chromium on all phones.

That's really interesting. 16MB is a huge difference for mobile games. Does anyone have a link to what these features are in the C2 equivalent? If we are not using those features, than just using the Android option would be a very attractive indeed.

• That feels like a lot of cruft to me ?

it's basically Chrome built into your app so not really cruft

Is there some way to easily strip out things unused from APK files ?

No.

But see intelrobert's response above about Android builds. My apps so far are mobile only, not CPU/GPU intensive, perhaps I could use non-Crosswalk for my apps. I'm sure larger download on mobiles is still an issue for some people.

• Hi Intel team, I have two small issues with the Intel XDK. Both right next to each other:

Under Launch Icons and Splash Screens, whenever I come back to an existing project (either from another project in Intel XDK, or if I close and re-open the XDK), the launch icons always reset to blank, and I have to manually assign each icon before building.

Also, I cannot find a way to remove a splash screen that I no longer want. I can change them, but I can't outright remove them.

Any idea what I can do to address either or both issues? Thanks!

[attachment=0:5j40ytw4][/attachment:5j40ytw4]

I think it is a bug in version 1494 as it fails to save correct icon information in <gamename>.xdk config file in your source directory.

Just change content of your xdk file from this:

{
                "relPath": "icon_36.png",
                "density": "ldpi",
                "height": 36,
                "width": 36
              },[/code:5j40ytw4]
    To this:

[code:5j40ytw4]          {
                "width": 36,
                "orientation": "portrait"
              },
              {
                "width": 36,
                "orientation": "landscape"
              },[/code:5j40ytw4]

And it works perfect!
  • I tried Crosswalk last night for the first time in ages. I exported a game I already have working on the OUYA console via Cocoon JS, and another game I use for controller testing (a 2 player twin stick shooter) - both to the OUYA console as I wanted to test performance and controller.

The performance on the twin stick shooter was ok - not quite as fast as CocoonJS, but pretty good nonetheless. However the controllers (OUYA and PS3) wouldn't work properly. Both pads only controlled the movement of player 2, and neither would fire at all. (Both pads work perfectly and as intended via CocoonJS).

The other game that I already have working on OUYA I wasn't able to get past the menu screen as neither controller would detect button presses.

Does anyone else have any experience with the gamepad object controllers not working when exporting via Crosswalk? If you have it working how did you achieve it please?

I posted new documentation for an alternative way to publish on the OUYA.

https://github.com/ouya/docs/blob/master/construct_2.md

Subscribe to Construct videos now

This uses OUYA-Everywhere input so it's going to support PS3, RockCandy, XBOX 360, OUYA, etc controllers and any controllers added in the future. And that's without any special gamepad handling in your Construct 2 app.

It would be interesting to compare your performance and experiences. I'm trying to make the process as painless as possible.

I've also added support for detecting MENU Button presses for each controller.

I did initially have some issues with button presses when the gamepad lacked some error checking. There was a not-so-rare case where an undefined check was missing. If a button input error happened, it was completely stop the game events from happening.

Thanks.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • tgraupmann How is this related to Intel XDK/Crosswalk? Make a new topic.

• IntelRobert, can you please tell me why games with Audio dont work? first i builded game with Audio and its started, sowed black screen and closed. now i remove Audio and all working fine.

• IntelRobert, sorry, cant reply to you in PM. i have not enough reputation)) please tell me your mail or skype, or whatever)

• New Google play test plugin not show leaderboard, login is work see the video.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66127489/Tester/VID_20141021_154958.mp4

• tgraupmann How is this related to Intel XDK/Crosswalk? Make a new topic.

I was replying to this post, with 60+ pages on a topic it's easy not to make the connection.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)