Crosswalk Intel XDK experiences

• I change build settings and i get this:

An error occurred while building the application. Verify your build assets are correct and try again.

Build Log:

The App ID is "net.raiper34.buildasnowman"

The App Name is "Build a Snowman"

Preference android-signed set to false. Application will not be signed.

Plugin installed: Connection (org.apache.cordova.network-information)

Plugin installed: SplashScreen (org.apache.cordova.splashscreen)

Plugin installed: Base (intel.xdk.base)

Plugin installed: Device (org.apache.cordova.device)

Plugin installed: Events (battery status) (org.apache.cordova.battery-status)

Plugin installed: playservices (https://github.com/MobileChromeApps/goo ... d595e4ec69)

Plugin installed: admob (https://github.com/cranberrygame/com.cr ... 581377fa71)

Plugin installed: In App Browser (org.apache.cordova.inappbrowser)

Plugin installed: Audio (intel.xdk.audio)

Any idea what?... I really do not know...

• I experienced that error.

It maybe because network error has risen while download plugin.

Remove playservices and admob, then re-add that two plugins.

I tested with example_phonegapadmob_requires id.capx

I Hope you succeed.

• Are large sounds in the sounds folder supposed to take a long time to preload in compiled versions of the game? Shouldn't it be fast since it is already on the device? A 2-3 minute long music loaded as a Sound (I have my reasons to not load it as music) will take more than 10 seconds to load on a fast device...

• > Well i have build it the app .. everything was great at my side.. BUT.. didnt be able to build a app with the admob integration not even the example that the plugin have it.

> https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/ ... pplication

> Once again did anyone had try the example?

>

I tried and nothing happened. It seemed to build normal, just nothing happened. Same for you?

YEs same here

• For heaven's sake. I finally figured out how to add your own icons to Intel XDK Android Crosswalk apps. I'll provide a simple walkthrough since I noticed that this forum and the Intel forum have been lacking proper instructions on how to do things. Instead, people just pop in and give a smart-*** oneliners. Okay, that's my rant. Here's how you do it.

1. Open Intel XDK.

2. Log into your account if you haven't already.

3. Look at the TOP LEFT CORNER where it says "Projects". Click on "Projects"

4. You will notice the page is split in half. The left side is grey. The right one is black. On the right tab, scroll all the way down to "LAUNCH ICONS AND SPLASH SCREENS"

5. Click the "+" logo next to it.

6. It will show 4 tabs. Android, Android-Crosswalk, iOS, Windows 8. Click on "Android-Crosswalk"

7. It will show Launch Icons and Splash Screen. Add the 4 launch icons.

Bam! Now go to the build tab and build your app using Crosswalk!

I bet you did the same silly mistake I did and only added icons to the Android tab. Well. You need to add them to Android-Crosswalk. I have no clue why Intel has two separate tabs for that either.

I have absolutely no clue how to put my AdMob in there. If I ever find out. I will post a tutorial with images and everything because I think it's enough for one of us to suffer.

Some info on Intel XDK Crosswalk:

1. In my experience it is just as fast as CocoonJs WITHOUT the sound/audio issues. Your app will still be bloated because Crosswalk comes with its own engine. So whatever the size of your app is right now, add another 16 MB to it. E.g. my 8 MB application grew to 24.55 MB.

One more tip.

2. Under the Projects tab under "Plugins and Permissions" you can turn off all of the Core Cordova and Intel Cordova Plugins. Like I said, Crosswalk seems to be its own engine that already comes with all of that stuff included. It just makes your app look intrusive when Android is asking for 20+ permissions.

3. If you want to update an old app that is already published in Play Store, use the same Project!!! This is so important. I made the fatal mistake to create a new project. Then I went to upload the new app. Google rejects it because the app signing didn't match. I'm sure some people know how to change the app signing. But, who would want to go through that hassle. Just replace your old exported Construct 2 project to the same folder that Intel XDK uses. Intel XDK will refresh all teh files and all you really have to o is press "Build" again.

Hope this helps.

• For the Icons problem you could simply ask here how to do it xD

• For the Icons problem you could simply ask here how to do it xD

This is not directed at you personally, just a general disclaimer to anyone.

I've been browsing through the forums already. Maybe you didn't catch my rant. I don't like this place and how people explain things at all. Most people here seem to assume you already know Android/game development in and out and they just link you some kind of documentation. Like yeah, that's why people ask... because they can't find the documentation.

I didn't post this for myself. I posted this as a reference to whoever might google for a solution, he/she will find proper step-by-step instructions. So what you might see from me in the future might just be something you feel was already explained. But, just remember, I'm explaining it again from the beginner level.

I think the Construct 2 tutorials are so easy to learn and simple. But, then you have this huge learning curve to learn everything beyond that. There are no tutorials that take you by the hand beyond Construct 2. I even went to a thread where someone who shall not be named just said "well, that's not part of Construct 2, so you should check in an Intel forum". People will go through great lengths to post something like "why don't you google it" or "read this documentation" instead of just providing an answer. It all boils down to our learning style. There are 3 types:

-Abstract learners only need instructions by text and they get it

-Visual learners need imagery along with the text

-Practical learners need to do something to truly learn it

I personally, am a practical learner. I learn best if someone throws a demo file at me and I take it apart and back together. I think this forum is predominately for abstract learners and thinkers. So. Welp here I am. Hi

• Emu

I did not take it personally and true, have not seen your other posts about that :/

There are quite few people here who indeed thinks that you already should now everything about anything.

But fortunately there's also a people like me. Who will bash you for question like "how do I move sprite with a button" and will tell you to go read manual or beginner tutorials. But on the other hand for more complicated questions they will try to actually help and guide you.

Mobile development is not easy at all. And you should ask as many questions as you want... But make sure to use search first, before asking about some silly stuff

• IntelRobert mentioned something about move to usb storage "the new release gives you cordova plugins, the ability to make a game go to usb/external storage, control over version codes/signing.". This would be great for Crosswalk games, as you said emu the build is increased size with the chromium engine. Will this be in the next intel xdk version crosswalk update hopefully?

• USB storage is in the current release. In Build settings, look for 'install location'. Default means only internal storage. Auto goes to whatever the user makes the default for his installs, and prefer external tries to go to external storage.

IntelRobert mentioned something about move to usb storage "the new release gives you cordova plugins, the ability to make a game go to usb/external storage, control over version codes/signing.". This would be great for Crosswalk games, as you said emu the build is increased size with the chromium engine. Will this be in the next intel xdk version crosswalk update hopefully?

• Oh awesome!! Honestly I saw that but I just thought I will leave this as default I don't know what this new feature does lol. I must of missed that or didn't read it in the documentation

Thank you IntelRobert

• IntelRobert, I am looking to switch from Ludei to Intel XDK, do you have a working Construct 2 example or planning to add one soon? I have installed Intel XDK and messed with it quite a bit, but the Android apps for it are lacking and hard for me to make a final decision.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The names are confusing, so we are changing them in the next release to auto/internal/external and making auto the default.

Oh awesome!! Honestly I saw that but I just thought I will leave this as default I don't know what this new feature does lol. I must of missed that or didn't read it in the documentation

Thank you IntelRobert

• The construct2 demo called space blaster is the best one to try and see all the features working. Here are some quick instructions on how to do that. We need to update an article with more details because we have changes XDK UI since Ashley wrote the original article.

Open Construct 2

New project, space blaster demo

In configuration settings, set orientations to portrait

Export, select android

Go to xdk

In project tab, click ‘start a new project’, import an existing project, select director with project

Go back to project tab, under plugins and permissions, ‘select none’, then select device in left pane (core corodova plugins)

Under build settings, click on crosswalk tab

Fullscreen clicked

Orientation: portrait

Install location: auto,

crosswalk version: beta

go to build tab

crosswalk for android, upload bundle

build app now

You will get an email with the app in about 5 minutes. The project settings will also let you set launch icon and splash screens.

IntelRobert, I am looking to switch from Ludei to Intel XDK, do you have a working Construct 2 example or planning to add one soon? I have installed Intel XDK and messed with it quite a bit, but the Android apps for it are lacking and hard for me to make a final decision.

• IntelRobert Thanks for all your great info.

Where can I read more info about plugins. What is the diference between "Core Cordova plugins" and "Intel XDK Codrova plugins" I compiled my game with all plugins disabled and the game is working including audio.

And if I select a Phonegap plugin from here https://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-phonegap-related-plugins_t109586 Is this considered a 3rd party plugin? They are self-explanatory by the name..but confusing, since Construct 2 users are used to use a plugin by importing them to Construct 2 project.

Can't XDK detect if a certain plugin is used in C2 project and self-select it?

Many thanks for the great job with XDK

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)