Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • once again all the more reason why Scirra needs to make iOS/Android wrapping part of the C2/C3 environment.. something like how they integrated node webkit.. waiting for Intel to fix something is no way to make a business.. i'm not saying cocoon io is perfect but it's proving to be the more reliable option.. i've been f'd over by broken plugins / xdk for months.. it's fine for hobbyists but not for professionals.

But damit, we know we're not getting it!

Ashley said so....

• usman Haq I didn't hear that from him but maybe if we bring it up enough he'll understand why an internally maintained solution will help keep Construct users making games and not getting bogged down in "publishing hell"

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This is a really hard topic regarding the native export. A lot of mixed feelings about that. I've been programming apps for over 10 years now with Java, PHP, JS, C# and other languages... so I am aware how much time consuming the "real" development is. I even made some games in pure JS and believe me what can be done with C2 in a day, takes weeks if you use pure programming. So from that point of view I REALLY admire Ashley job. Making a project like a C2 is a huge challange, and the fact that he is coding alone is just insane!

From the other point of view it is true that for a professionals it's really a big issue to work with C2 in a manner to rely your business on it. But it's not purely C2 fault. It's the HTML5 wrapping technology problem mostly. C2 doesn't have so many issues/bugs. If you focus on the bug reports and follow them you notice that big majority of them are external problems. iOS sound issue was external problem, API android issue is external problem etc...

And no matter if it's IntelXDK or CocoonIO... there are always some issues with them and if there aren't any at the moment... be sure they will appear cause this technology grows faster then they manage to test it (for some weird reason).

So C2 apps (except the HTML5 apps - I mean pure export for browsers) rely basically on third party solutions. Maybe it will get steady in several years (same chaotic situation we had years ago with various browsers parsing JS/CSS).

Is Ashley able to build his own wrapper fully focused on C2 compatibility? I think in theory he is, but that is enormous amount of work. And as a one man army it's just pointless. I have no idea what is Scirra's budget... but Ideal situation would be if Ashley hire some dev team dedicated to do this. That would give the feeling that C2 development is kinda "stable". At the moment making an app in C2 is fun and pleasent, but when it comes to wrapping there is always like "please work! please work!". Cause you never know...

• I haven't worked with AdMob yet, but I have my share with AdSense. So, IMO, AdMob use Location the determine what ad it will show to your user. Like, I'm from Sao Paulo, so if I'm playing a game with AdMob and some company bought some ads from it specifically to show on Sao Paulo users then I will see that particular ad.

• Hi guys!

Just came over this post.

Thank you Caleb for opening that up. I'm glad to help you guys with all C2 relevant issues in the cocoon forum. I also give my very best to keep the wiki on shatter-box.com up to date.

It would be awesome if scirra would consider to support cocoon.io offically in Construct 2, but that's not a decision of me or us. This must ludei discuss with scirra, or scirra with ludei I already wrote Ashley about a bug that only appears for cocoon.io built games, but sadly it's still not fixed. (It's about the scalling issue).

Feel free to let me know if you miss any tutorial or if any step is unclear for you. I also provide free code sampels for all CocoonPlugins. Just check out the following links.

Usefull Links:

How to build with CocoonIO & Construct 2 (Covers following tutorials)

• Get Started
      • Configure your CocoonIO Project
      • Cocoon Ads
      • Cocoon InApp
      • Cocoon Leaderboard
      • Cocoon Canvas+
      • Cocoon Facebook (currently under work)

Free code examples

Support (Just mention in the cocoon forum and I'll have a look at it ASAP)

Troubleshooting

E-Book - Build your first platformer with CocoonIO (with Ads)!

Android Developer Template - Demo

Wish you great success with your games (hopefully made with cocoon.io)

Keep it up!

Regards

Andy

• I haven't worked with AdMob yet, but I have my share with AdSense. So, IMO, AdMob use Location the determine what ad it will show to your user. Like, I'm from Sao Paulo, so if I'm playing a game with AdMob and some company bought some ads from it specifically to show on Sao Paulo users then I will see that particular ad.

I understand your thinking but IntelXDK does exactly the same and it does not require Location. AdMob (Google) has already enough information regarding where you are now and where are you from, from various sources. And it is totally enough. So requiring Location permission is unnecessary (as Intel proved).

• Huge thanks I have your e-book, I used your tutorials and capx examples. Extremely helpful and made my "try" with CocoonIO ten times easier

• Huge thanks I have your e-book, I used your tutorials and capx examples. Extremely helpful and made my "try" with CocoonIO ten times easier

You're welcome I'm glad that it helped!

Let me know if you miss something I would be glad to work out capx examples and tutorials for it.

Regards

Andy

• Andy you are the best. I hope Cocoon IO treats you well because you've helped me out a ton! In fact I wouldn't have become a paying customer if you hadn't helped me out in some really critical times so you can quote me on that one! I know it's not a lot of money in the big picture but I encourage anyone else to do the same.

I really hope things can be made well between Scirra and Cocoon IO. I'm afraid there might be some bad blood from the previous cocoon.js days. I was fairly new to C2 at the time and I tried things like Ejecta rather than get too deep into Cocoon which at the time I was hearing enough bad experiences to not feel compelled to go that route.. CocoonJS was officially supported.. at least they had a Cocoon export option at one time, but that eventually got dropped when Cordova became a viable option with iOS8's release.

Andy, the bug you mention with the scaling, is there a workaround that we as C2 developers could do?

well said all around. I agree with your points. C2 is largely not at fault itself with the wrappers.

However it CAN be a problem and just knowing it might be a problem only makes debugging that much harder to know you're not barking up the wrong tree.. it's like mobile publishing is a 3 legged stool.. you have

1. C2/C3

2. Plugin Developer (cranberry, etc)

3. wrapper solution (xdk, cocoon ,etc)

1... is the least often problem, but it does update frequently and you never know if could unknowingly introduce some quirk. Andy pointed out a bug that is yet fixed. The can and do happen.. and just knowing they may happen means it always becomes a possibility in troubleshooting that can create even more troubleshooting time wasted..

2... is terrible.. because Ashley has said he doesn't want developers to be able to sell plugins in the store at any price because it could be expensive.. Sang Ki can't sustain himself off $3 plugins.. so what you do is get someone excited to make plugins for people then have to move on because there is no money in it.. and let's face it.. plugin development is not as fun as making games.. it's not our fault that C2 is only $130.. I will gladly pay $100 for a fully supported plugin for whatever service I need.. Hell Ashley should consider a pro license.. and i don't mean business.. i mean a pro license that adds high end functionality (Like a solid mobile publishing pipeline).. I'd easily pay $500 for C2 if it could offer me that.. or C3?

We're actually looking to make some plugins for our own needs and possibly sell them to professional C2 users.. but it won't be cheap and if someone doesn't want to pay the price we set we don't care. Anything less wouldn't be worth our time. We might even look at some kind of subscription / support plan. Since we will be using them ourselves. We're working on a web game and when we learned that C2 doesn't actually have any monetization options for web, we're having to come up with our own solutions. Eventually though mobile might become something else we try to expand into.

3... this is also really tough because it is obviously a living / changing thing and yes in time it will maybe settle down but that's no way to run a business either. Someone with C2 in mind needs to be overviewing the pipeline. .one of them.. to insure things are working.. and they need to make plugins that support the features you need.. Cocoon IO has been the best option overall because they MAKE THEIR OWN PLUGINS and can support those.. I've found that most of my cranberry plugins got replaced with official cocoon io plugins.. and yes.. we have found bugs.. but guess what? they fix them. with Cranberry it's way more uncertain..

• yes in my mind I see him having someone join and focus on publishing pipeline support.. plugin validation..

alternately, even if they just had someone who is there to help insure at least one publishing platform is tested and working. Making sure that C2 has plugins

• like i said.. he needs to offer a paid support system or something more professional.. even if just 100 developers had pro license support.. let's say we pay $50 a month.. that's $5000 a month to hire someone full time or even part time to keep a living / breathing person actively testing XDK / Cocoon IO issues and help identify issues. They could tell us "don't upgrade" when something is bad.. encourage us to use stable versions

why let 3rd party devs be responsible to give developers key things they need (video ads, analytic, etc) have Scirra make official (optional) plugins we can buy?

• Hi guys!

I made a new topics to collect all free code examples and helpful links for cocoonIO and construct 2.

So if anyone stuck, just let me know there!

Thank you!

Regards

Andy

• Hi All

I've been reading up on cocoon.io in the forums. Decided to compile one of my games to give it a test. I was surprised by how well it runs under cocoon.io. I have two questions pls. Does the performance stay the same when displaying ads? I was unable to test this, but I know in XDK crosswalk your game slows when using ads. and question two - can you deploy your app with ads in test mode to make sure ads are working as they should?

• sometimes when an ad first loads there can be a hiccup.. it's usually only the first time.

you must build and test on a real phone to see ads appear. there is no test mode that i know of that works with the cocoon io / cordova plugins it supports.

• sometimes when an ad first loads there can be a hiccup.. it's usually only the first time.

you must build and test on a real phone to see ads appear. there is no test mode that i know of that works with the cocoon io / cordova plugins it supports.

Ok, thanks for the info. Will just have to be careful. Don't want to get my Admob account banned because of testing with live ads

• yea it's fine just don't TOUCH the ads.. maybe once or twice.. but seriously don't do it.. if the ads appear the rest of it will work.

• there is no test mode that i know of

which is something they seriously need to add.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)