CocoonJS vs CrossWalk?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Hi, I'm just curious how CocoonJS vs CrossWalk compare to each other. I can only get CocoonJS to work for me and it works quite well. When I use Crosswalk I can't upload my .apk file I get a error every time. So I been sticking to CocoonJS, but I keep reading about how much better the Crosswalk for Android is then CocoonJS. Has there been a legitimate Pro vs. Con comparison of the two?

• Hi, I'm just curious how CocoonJS vs CrossWalk compare to each other. I can only get CocoonJS to work for me and it works quite well. When I use Crosswalk I can't upload my .apk file I get a error every time. So I been sticking to CocoonJS, but I keep reading about how much better the Crosswalk for Android is then CocoonJS. Has there been a legitimate Pro vs. Con comparison of the two?

Not experienced a lot with them, but:

From what I've understood, CocoonJS seems faster on the logic of the game, but has bad memory management, but crosswalk is based on chrome for android, so the memory management is better on their side (I'll always suggest to try to optimise your logic if possible in both cases!), also the android's versions targets aren't the same (and for iOS, crosswalk is just incompatible)

The companies behind are also one argument:

-Ludei seems pretty much to be like talking to a closed door in case of problem, intel does a better job at that.

-The cocoonJS plugin is only updated by Ludei now (I remember that scirra couldn't handle it well because of the lack of communication on ludei's side).

-Crosswalks is far younger than cocoonJS, but it improves quickly it seems (and since it is based on chrome for android, you can expect the same improvement over time as chrome for android)

-CocoonJS forced ugly-blinking splashscreen, seriously.

On my part, I'll always try to stay away as far as possible from cocoonJS as I can, for preferences reason (I plan that my games can be played on mobile browsers, since crosswalk is based off a browser, It suits me perfectly, and also the blinking-non-editable splashscreen is something that I just cannot accept)

Only my little experience with them (I don't plain on using wrapper really for now), but hope someone more experienced than I will help you decide on that

PS: never actually uploaded crosswalks .apk so I cannot help with your problem

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • CocoonJS : the best solution for now, but still has some bugs and doesn't support some features.

Crosswalk : not a complete tech but it's improving very fast. I think it gonna be the best solution for Android.

• Once you create your game on Google Play Store using CocoonJS, you can't upload a .apk file from cross walk? I keep getting a error.

Upload failed
    You uploaded an APK that is signed with a different certificate to your previous APKs. You must use the same certificate. Your existing APKs are signed with the certificate(s) with fingerprint(s):
    [ SHA1: DE:C5:65:47:3C:31:22:AD:1D:38:FE:E2:B4:AC:E8:AD:9D:8E:F2:60 ]
    and the certificate(s) used to sign the APK you uploaded have fingerprint(s):
    [ SHA1: D7:B0:26:D4:41:8D:44:C2:AE:85:99:2F:D7:71:71:7B:46:7F:78:69 ][/code:1mgkr0gk]
  • The problem is in how it is signed, if you want to update an existing game the signatures on teh APK signing must be the exact same.

• BluePhaze Does Crosswalk automatically sign the .apk file? Because if I try to sign it like I do the CocoonJS .apk, I get a different error saying I have multiple signatures.

• I believe it does but I may be wrong, I haven't used crosswalk yet.

• Crosswalk signs it auto for you, based on your account so you can update your crosswalk compiled games any time. But its a different key than to your own that you sign the CJS apk with so you cannot switch on Google Play.

As for the two.

CJS = Great for smaller games, its got Ad and Google Store support. Cannot do large games due to its lack of proper memory management. It will crash even 1GB devices. Also has 7 required permissions by default which could put off some users.

Crosswalk = Great for all kinds of games BUT currently does not have proper Ad or Google Store support. It does have leadbolt banners working, but I rather use AdMob.

Currently, small games with monetization = CJS. Big games as a paid app = Crosswalk.

• Thanks, I'm just learning this Crosswalk stuff, seems like there's is so much more potential in it then CocoonJS. So I guess I'll keep my current game with CocoonJS and the new stuff I'll use on the Crooswalk, maybe by then they will support AdMob and other great features.

• Yep, ads and IAP are planned for Crosswalk, Intel are working on it.

• anyone have any advice for crosswalk produced apk's that show a solid color across the screen? audio and touch responses seemt to work just the visuals are solid.. and the color is not a scene background color.. in my case it was a light brown..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)