I'm not having problems as such, just testing some concepts to see how well they work on the different devices and was wondering if there was any fps gain in the compiled version.
The test app I was using was roughly a 3000x3000 square layout with a player and 30 spawned enemies (just bouncing bullets). It was running fine until I gave the bullets 4 directions of animation.... from there the fps dropped to 6 on the iphone 4 & 22 on the ipod 5th gen that I test it on. It still ran great on the iphone 5 and ipad 4, but I was surprised how poorly it ran on those other 2 devices.
I tried your suggestions but they didn't improve the fps at all, it seems the drop is directly related to the amount of enemies and the way I'm checking their direction.
If there is no fps gain once compiled then that's cool, I'll just have to rethink how I'm going to implement certain things... but I can't help but feel that since I'm having these problems with such a basic design my full game still won't work efficiently on the iphone 4 or ipods... guess I'll just have to work at it and see.
Thanks for your response