Cocoonjs framerate on iphone

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Hello, I'm currently making a native iphone app using construct 2 and cocoonjs. I'm just wondering if the fps in the cocoonjs launcher is an accurate representation of of the fps I will get from my game once it is compiled by ludei's cloud compiling service... anyone have any experience and knowledge about this? Thanks in advance

• According to Ludei, it should be very close. Are you having problems?

Here is my story so far.

I contacted Ludei few weeks ago because I have been testing my game with iPhone 4 and CocoonJS 1.4 with poor results (10-15 fps) - my game was unplayable on older devices.

I removed big tiled backgrounds (smaller still work) and turned off the WebGL support and now it plays 25-45 fps. Not great, but it is playable again.

Another improvement could be made by activating the texture reducer.

They also said that they will release a new version of CocoonJS with a new audio system soon that might improve the performance!

Hope this helps.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm not having problems as such, just testing some concepts to see how well they work on the different devices and was wondering if there was any fps gain in the compiled version.

The test app I was using was roughly a 3000x3000 square layout with a player and 30 spawned enemies (just bouncing bullets). It was running fine until I gave the bullets 4 directions of animation.... from there the fps dropped to 6 on the iphone 4 & 22 on the ipod 5th gen that I test it on. It still ran great on the iphone 5 and ipad 4, but I was surprised how poorly it ran on those other 2 devices.

I tried your suggestions but they didn't improve the fps at all, it seems the drop is directly related to the amount of enemies and the way I'm checking their direction.

If there is no fps gain once compiled then that's cool, I'll just have to rethink how I'm going to implement certain things... but I can't help but feel that since I'm having these problems with such a basic design my full game still won't work efficiently on the iphone 4 or ipods... guess I'll just have to work at it and see.

Thanks for your response

• I tried your suggestions but they didn't improve the fps at all, it seems the drop is directly related to the amount of enemies and the way I'm checking their direction.

If there is no fps gain once compiled then that's cool, I'll just have to rethink how I'm going to implement certain things... but I can't help but feel that since I'm having these problems with such a basic design my full game still won't work efficiently on the iphone 4 or ipods... guess I'll just have to work at it and see.

Thanks for your response

No prob! Too bad the suggestions did not help you... but yeah, the iPhone 4 is notoriously outdated at this point. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get our game running smoothly on it and truth be told I'm kinda lost at this point and focusing on other things to keep up with our schedule.

If you invent some cool tricks to optimize performance I'd definitely be interested if you cared to share!

Laters.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)