Cheap phone

0 favourites
  • I'll be honest, I know nothing about the mobiles that can run C2 games. What would be a really cheap phone that I could pick up to test C2 games on? Presumably if it's cheap it'll be bad, meaning if a game runs on that, it'll run on more expensive ones?

• Presumably if it's cheap it'll be bad, meaning if a game runs on that, it'll run on more expensive ones?

I use to think that way but the truth is that it is hard to get a game running good on a expensive top of the line phone especially on Android.

Don't waste your money get something new and powerful. If you go to a wireless provider you can get a nice Samsung Galaxy S3 for under $200 with a contract, or wait a week or two and get a new Galaxy S4. That is if you want to develop for Android.

Iv been looking for a deal on a unlocked Windows Phone 8 with no contract but in the US that just don't exist.

You could always get a tablet instead of a phone if it's just for developing on, and that way you wouldn't need a wireless contract if you got WiFi at home. Google has a nice 16 GB Nexus 7 for $199.

• I only want something to develop on, something which is weak so my finished game will work on just about anything. And which is the largest/best market? Is Android the way to go?

I wouldn't want a contract at all, I have a very old mobile phone and I barely use that.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • iPhone 3g?

• Well the largest market doesn't necessarily mean the best. The smaller ones like Windows Phone 8, and the new Blackberry 10 are the ones I am interested in because there not over flooded with apps, competition, and AAA games yet so there is lots of opportunity there right now. But there phones are new, expensive, and require contracts in the US.

I have two games in the Google play store, and I am trying to monetize off of them with ad revenue but CocoonJS is the only wrapper that works right now, and they have a bad ad service. I haven't made any money yet.

If you want a cheap, no contract phone, and if you live in the US Walmart has a variety of prepaid android smartphones in a box for under $100. But make sure it has the Google Play Store installed on it because not all cheaper android devises can run it. Also get one with a powerful processor, and a lot of ram you will need it. Try to get one with at least the Ice Cream Sandwich OS or newer.

You could develop for ios app store but you will need to buy a Mac if you don't have one to compile the code. But I here iphone users actually like to spend money on apps.

• I live in the UK but I'm sure most that applies here. It's very confusing, just so many targets. I suppose any basic phone would do the trick for starters, it's not like I'd be making the world's best games, it'd mainly be for experimenting at first.

• Last year I used a Samsung galaxy S running Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 OS. It was very hard to get a game working on it until CocoonJS came around. But everything is getting better now.

I think If you want a cheap phone, and a cheap entry into mobile development Android is the way to go right now. I also think it will be the most supported platform by Construct 2.

Edit:

Just make sure that the phone you buy can support the store you want to sell on. Also make sure that Construct 2 supports it. Just do some research in the forums, and see if anyone else recommends something else.

If you live in the UK you can get better deals on unlocked no contract phones than in the US right now just shop around.

I hope I didn't confuse you to much with all the options out there.

• In US, the best way to approach it is get something on ebay.

Apple products will be easy - you can get iphone 3g/3gs for around $50-$60 on ebay.

Android is a bit more complicated, as there are many different models. Specs wise, I would advise something around Samsung Galaxy S (the first one, also known as SGS) if people (your potential clients) are getting new contracts, almost everybody will have specs beyond the SGS. Even the entry models (that are not very popular in US, but are quite popular in Europe and middle east) will have similar specs to the SGS. So if it will run well on SGS - it will run well on almost anything used nowadays ;)

For Windows 8 phone and Blackberry, at this time there isn't a good way to do it. If you are lucky, you might find nokia lumia on ebay or pre-owned somewhere.

• If you're after something cheap, Android is usually cheaper than iOS, and Android tablets can be cheaper than the phones. The Nexus 7 would be a good starting point IMO - I've got one for testing and the latest Chrome actually runs pretty well on it.

• The iphone 3g is too under powered to run construct games well one, don't bother. even the 4 is kinda wimpy. the 4S is probably the lowest id go for, iphone wise.

Android wise you can get a virgin mobile optimus slider for example for about $30-$40, and you can still use it without activating it on the virgin mobile network, so no monthly fee etc.

works great as a cheap mp3 player/youtube/movie player as well.

But if you can swing it, go for a second hand google nexus 7 tablet. they are about $150 second hand.

• Thanks for the advice guys, lots to mull on. Since it would be purely for developing, I'll go for something very cheap with no contract. I guess the weaker it is, the more I'll have to be careful with objects etc, so I'll go for something at the bottom end of the scale.

• If you are looking for something cheap to develop on, try looking at the iPod Touch. A lot cheaper than a phone but, with all the functionality of one when it comes to developing apps and games. They are also a lot cheaper.

• Have to say it's all very confusing, there are so many choices. I'm a pure desktop/web user and never messed around with any mobiles or tablets. Would be fun to make a game with a touch-screen but I don't want to be spending a fortune. Which of these use Windows 8? The W8 store looks quite promising right now since it's not so saturated.

• This may sound like a dumb question but I really am clueless about these devices. Do I need a Wifi connection to use them with Construct 2, or is there another way to test my games on them? I don't have Wifi, I'm on cable. How do you develop for these platforms? Is it a case of developing on your PC, uploading them to a site then connecting with the phone/tablet to the site?

• Which of these use Windows 8? The W8 store looks quite promising right now since it's not so saturated.

This might confuse you even more but Windows Phone 8 is for the Windows Phone Store, and the Windows Store is for tablets, and computers running the Windows 8 OS.

Do I need a Wifi connection to use them with Construct 2, or is there another way to test my games on them? I don't have Wifi, I'm on cable.

No you don't need WiFi if your going with a phone instead of a tablet since smart phones require a data plan wether that be month by month billing or prepaid. But it is highly recommended to use WiFi whenever possible or your phone bill could end up being hundreds, if not thousands of dollars per month.

If your on cable you should have a wireless WiFi router it's that little box that connects your cable to your computer. If you don't have one for some reason just ask your cable provider they usually include them with there service. If not there pretty cheap to buy.

How do you develop for these platforms? Is it a case of developing on your PC, uploading them to a site then connecting with the phone/tablet to the site?

Iv been developing for Android. Each platform is different, and has one or more different options to choose from for developing. I develop on my computer then export as a CocoonJS export. Then I upload the exported .zip file to DropBox. From there I open it with the Ludei CocoonJS Launcher (it's an app available in the Google Play Store). It allows you to test, and debug your game on an android devise. After all that and my game is ready I then upload it to the CocoonJS Cloud Compiler on Ludei's site, and compile it. Then I get a unsigned APK file in my email from Ludei.

After all that then I Create a keystore file, sign my .apk file, zipalign my .apk file, and then its ready for upload to Google Play Store.

The first time through may seem like a painful process but it gets easier.

Here are some links to things you might want to read over before you choose what platform you want to develop for:

How to make Android games

How to preview on a local network

How to export to CocoonJS

Create Android Games

Android games with CocoonJS

Some Windows Phone 8 info:

How to make a Windows Phone 8 app

Plugin Windows Phone

Here is some info about a new accelerated canvas option under development for PhoneGap:

Pender Project - Android Accelerated Canvas

Pender Android for Phonegap Cordova

Some people have there C2 games in the BlackBerry 10 World store but I can't find any info on how they did it. Also Construct 2 doesn't have a exporter for BB10 or officially support it yet. But this thread would be the one to watch for future info:

BlackBerry 10 and Construct 2

I hope this helps answer a few questions, and doesn't leave you even more confused. lol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)