What to call the process of "programming" in C2

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Voice call plugin based on webrtc protocol for construct 3
  • What does everybody call the process of "programming" in C2? I call it programming. Technically I am programming logic into the game. Im not coding anything because Im not writing anything down.

I also like to call programs like C2 and game salad visual programming languages.

Personally, programming and visual programming languages have a nice ring to it. I also find that by calling these by those names it's easier to describe what you are doing to people who know nothing about games.

What does everybody think?

• This is why I dont like how the front page says "no programming required". I think it should be "no coding required" as yes, event-based programming is often referred to as "visual programming". I also feel dumb crediting myself as a programmer when people then go to check out construct and see that there is apparently no programming involved ^^;

• While it is actually programming, I usually refer to it as "eventing" since the basic building blocks of the logic are called events in Construct.

• I've always called it eventing, maybe even constructing

visual programming could easily be confused with stuff like visual basic, and even sometimes using c++ with windows forms and/or mfc appwizard.

but there's definitely people who call it programming and I've heard coding as well, though I would consider both of those a bit of a misnomer

maybe visual scripting?

• Just to clarify, "coding" and "programming" are the same (even in french ;))

In Construct, you are moving visual blocks, that are mapped to lines of codes (JS code in that context). It's an homomorphic equivalance.

And, in th CS field, what Construct allow you to do is, indeed, called "visual programming".

(In fact, C2 is an ernomous Event driven Finite State Machine).

• I always thought coding and programming where synonymous, is it different in different languages?

• I always thought coding and programming where synonymous, is it different in different languages?

I thought so too. The trend of no coding engines like yours is a welcome change. I can't tell you how many projects I had to scrap because of syntax, scope and just general technical garbage.

When I am working in C2 I think I am programming the game. When I work with Visual Studio I am coding a game.

• How about Conditioning? :)

Use in a sentence:

• I'm conditioning a game
    • The game you've just conditioned looks great
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've always used 'eventing' for this and other engines.

• Well i dunno about you lot, but i'm Creating a Game... Therefore i'm a Game Creator.

• Programming/coding (synonyms) in Construct is no different than "real" programming. It's just at a higher level. The "No programming required" slogan is just to attract users who are intimidated by "real" languages. New users start off with simple projects akin to "hello world", but instead of outputting text they have a sprite moving onscreen, and it has the ability to shoot things. Soon however, they realize that to achieve a level of quality equal to commercial games they must dive into the more advanced features such as expressions, complex picking, state machines, and overall system design. This is where Construct becomes nothing more than a nice game engine, and a wrapper for a scripting language. However, at this point, users have been breast-fed by Ashley and gradually edged into the programming world. Things soon become clear, and the once unfathomable monolith of programming becomes exploitable with a sub-event and a six pack of mountain dew.

I call it scripting; just because the functions are wrapped in graphical blocks doesn't mean it merits a new name IMO. Eventing sounds nice too, though nobody knows what it means outside of this community, and it's just a synonym for scripting anyways. The word you use really depends on who you're talking to, and what they'll understand. Visual scripting is a nice way to put it.

• conditioning already has a few different meanings, one dealing with learning algorithms, another dealing with hair care.

• Programming/coding (synonyms) in Construct is no different than "real" programming. It's just at a higher level. The "No programming required" slogan is just to attract users who are intimidated by "real" languages. New users start off with simple projects akin to "hello world", but instead of outputting text they have a sprite moving onscreen, and it has the ability to shoot things. Soon however, they realize that to achieve a level of quality equal to commercial games they must dive into the more advanced features such as expressions, complex picking, state machines, and overall system design. This is where Construct becomes nothing more than a nice game engine, and a wrapper for a scripting language. However, at this point, users have been breast-fed by Ashley and gradually edged into the programming world. Things soon become clear, and the once unfathomable monolith of programming becomes exploitable with a sub-event and a six pack of mountain dew.

I call it scripting; just because the functions are wrapped in graphical blocks doesn't mean it merits a new name IMO. Eventing sounds nice too, though nobody knows what it means outside of this community, and it's just a synonym for scripting anyways. The word you use really depends on who you're talking to, and what they'll understand. Visual scripting is a nice way to put it.

Awesome answer.

In the fire of an IRC discussion, I'll say "coding"/"code" as it's quicker to write (but definetely not the better wording), and people in #construct's room get what I'm talking about anyway.

If I need to describe it to someone it's "programming". Programming the logic as someone said earlier in this topic, or as davio says, high level programming, but programming still.

Edit: Also, it's maybe just me but, to me "coding" and "programming" are not exactly the same thing.

"Coding" is writing text files of programming language.

"Programming" is using methods. I see it by default as higher-level.

I mean, like, programming the path of a robot for example. You would use precoded instructions that the robot would interprate and react to accordingly, if you see what I mean.

I don't know, it's maybe just me who does this kind of cognitive difference between the two terms.

• Well it ain't drag and drop, and I wish people would stop calling it that. :P

• I think "eventing" is a good term because it is different to programming... but events probably still fit the definition of programming: ultimately you are setting a sequence of commands for a computer to run, just in a different way. The "no programming required" is the best way we could think to describe how Construct 2 works to new users in three words. It's difficult to convey to new users what's special about a complex piece of software like Construct 2, so I still think it's a fair way to describe what it does - it creates the right impression, since you aren't programming in the traditional sense.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)