How come C2 games don't "lift off"?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Tap the ball, control it, avoid touching spikes and score higher!
  • SoldjahBoy - Lol. You went to all the trouble just to prove me wrong. I stand corrected.

• SoldjahBoy - Lol. You went to all the trouble just to prove me wrong.

Actually no... I just happened to remember that calc has had a long standing bug with that particular sum. It was just funny luck you used that as an example haha. XD

~Sol

• that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.

just imagine if flappy bird had +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit

or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

Color Switch is 32mb. Didn't seem to scare anyone...

• trueicecold there are more games for sure but scirra's self promoting in this area is like when you make a party at home and pop corns fall under the sofa and after sooome time you realise their presence. with other words is some kind of forgotten..ignatius, super ubie land , where is my helmet are some games. They can make a slideshow with games under development right now i saw many outstanding games under development with c2 so why not? other engines do that like ghost song ( under development) or hyper light drifter (when it was under development) why not in here? "Graveyard Goldmine", "Out Of", "Sombrero" are great pieces of artstyle at least..

• my input:

1. Self promote your game. If you work in the dark for months/years and barely show your product then no one will know about it

2. Sole bad performance I ever had with C2 was my own damn fault for not knowing how to properly use it

3. Oh, speaking of performance, also nw but that was fixed and it was out of Scirra's control

4. Community is very helpful. Have some experience with other communities and I've been advancing faster here

5. Is not because C2 is easier to use that you don't need game logic and a deep understanding, easier to use but easier to mess up things as well

So far, I can say that every design idea I had for my game I've been able to do it without losing performance. is not always easy but C2 is in overall a really good engine

• 2. Sole bad performance I ever had with C2 was my own damn fault for not knowing how to properly use it

I've turned this in to a meta game where I try and get as low as possible without breaking shit. It's quite fun actually, might just release it as a standalone game!

• Grymligast LOL Awesome!!

• 5. Is not because C2 is easier to use that you don't need game logic and a deep understanding, easier to use but easier to mess up things as well

I completely agree. I've done so many stupid things so many times that i should probably start working on a massive tuturial on "How not to do things in C2". Well sometimes things work, but they dont work well. It's like eating icecream with a snow shovel. You can probably do it but it's not very precice or effective. Then people go on the forums and rant about bad performance. The problem is that C2 let you do things, so you tap yourself thinking, "IT WORKED, I'm an awesome coder" but in reality you're not. Happens to me all the time. :p

• Supply and demand. Its gotten super easy to make games (despite idiotic complaints about third party issues), and the market is super saturated.

So to sell anything you have to spam the world, which is basically what Supercell, does.

That or hit on some viral game mechanic( Flappy Bird, Agar.io, Slither.io)

• Although I am an huge fan, I do feel Scirra could put a little more effort in keeping tabs on community projects and their progress, and by extension keep their showcase updated.

Or it could be the matter of relative difficulty exporting finished products which has been discussed often.

I find it more likely that successful long time C2 developers are busy being successful, rather than promoting the engine they work on. I imagine for the developer making the blockbuster there is little incentive for them to promote the engine they created their product on. It falls back to Scirra to promote the success stories.

On the other hand, Scirra may be making enough from licensing and the store to not even care about pulling in (and supporting) more users, and focus on C3 instead. It all comes down to economics and incentive/motivation.

Edit: PS - There are actually many more reasons for people to want to NOT show the "Powered by Construct 2" splash screen, given that they are not REQUIRED to, unlike some other big name engines like Unreal ect.

• C2 has not even been out as long as many popular large-scale indie games have been in development, so there's that. Also there were a number of great games being made in C2 that were ultimately canceled or switched to other engines due to breaking changes and frustration with C2's reliance on 3rd party technologies.

There are a number of great and popular CC/C2 titles, but the front page shows very few. It's pretty amazing that games like The Iconoclasts aren't on there. A better/dedicated showcase page would be nice, but I'm sure it will take a lot of time for Scirra to evaluate projects and decide what should and shouldn't be on there...valuable time that could be spend working on C3 and more important things.

Its gotten super easy to make games (despite idiotic complaints about third party issues), and the market is super saturated.

So to sell anything you have to spam the world, which is basically what Supercell, does.

That or hit on some viral game mechanic( Flappy Bird, Agar.io, Slither.io)

Not necessarily. Good games market themselves. If you can manage to get a single article on a site like Destructoid, where dozens of other gaming news outlets rip their content from, then you're pretty much set. Also, the complaints about third party issues are totally legitimate. Just ~6 months ago NWjs started throwing JS errors, many features like window scaling and audio broke, the debugger didn't work, we all got ghost processes, and so on. And that was after at least a year of dealing with that whole "jitters janks and snags" issue. And that's just NWjs. I can't even begin to list the problems with all the mobile shit.

• Im curious what one would consider to be a successful C2 game?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's pretty amazing that games like The Iconoclasts aren't on there.

While The Iconoclasts was a CC game, today it only serves as a prototyping tool. The release version is done by another partner company which use the CC game as a reference and recode it some other engine (I asked him a few days ago because I was curious and that's what he said).

So including it in the frontpage features would be counter-productive, since it would immediatly spark a discussion about why he decided to do it this way instead of porting to C2 and releasing it

• I'm not sure what would be successful, but I'm pretty sure this will turn into a native export rant at some point.

• While The Iconoclasts was a CC game, today it only serves as a prototyping tool. The release version is done by another partner company which use the CC game as a reference and recode it some other engine (I asked him a few days ago because I was curious and that's what he said).

So including it in the frontpage features would be counter-productive, since it would immediatly spark a discussion about why he decided to do it this way instead of porting to C2 and releasing it

Oh? I thought he said they made a new exporter for it like Chowdren for MMF. He never posted any old content remade with the new engine so..that's a bit weird.

Anyway, The Iconoclasts is just one example. Also it's been in development for almost a decade (including the original version, Ivory Springs) so my earlier point still stands lol.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)