There is no bug fix in the last two betas

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • Hi.

I have 6 bug reports open, the oldest one is 6-10 months ago.

In the last two betas the bugfix have been minimal, only one bugfix in each of the betas, the rest has been the updating of the graphic library.

Are you going to continue fixing bugs?

I would like to know if I am wasting my time when I create a bug report that will not be fixed.

• As we have moved the vast majority of our efforts on to Construct 3, and Construct 2 nears the end of its supported life, we have limited resources on which to dedicated to ongoing Construct 2 support. As such we focus this on to only the highest priority issues. So far this has been focused on a number of reports about random crashes, which is a very difficult and time-consuming type of problem to deal with. We're working on the theory that this is related to third-party libraries that we use in Construct 2, hence the recent updates. Despite this there have been a couple of other updates along the way too. If you need better support and more updates you can upgrade to Construct 3 which has a much more active update schedule and we spend a lot more time supporting with bug fixes and such.

• Switching to c3 can be a solution for some users, for others this is not an option, c3 is a service with quite limited payment options, it is not a product like c2.

Thanks for the answer although I don't know why C2 needs to be removed, just fix the bugs twice or three times a year and that would be fine.

At least I think so.

• Switching to c3 can be a solution for some users, for others this is not an option, c3 is a service with quite limited payment options, it is not a product like c2.

For the same reason you can't buy Microsoft Office as an installable product any more. You have to 'rent' Office 365. It's not a long-term, sustainable method of income. I still see customers come into my computer repair shop running Office 2007. That's 12 years of using a product that needs to pay employees to keep it fixed and updated while making only one payment. The cost of maintaining such software over the long-haul exceeds the income of a one-time payment system.

Get used to it. Windows as a service is coming.

• If you keep a single payment software updated and with additions you will continue to obtain sales that allow you to continue with the maintenance of the software.

Maybe piracy is also important when a software becomes an online service.

• That's 12 years of using a product that needs to pay employees to keep it fixed and updated while making only one payment. The cost of maintaining such software over the long-haul exceeds the income of a one-time payment system.It's not a long-term, sustainable method of income.

Not sustainable? Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer made their money before all this rental bullshit and they are worth about $160,000,000,000 And that's just the top 2 guys.

• > That's 12 years of using a product that needs to pay employees to keep it fixed and updated while making only one payment. The cost of maintaining such software over the long-haul exceeds the income of a one-time payment system.It's not a long-term, sustainable method of income.

Not sustainable? Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer made their money before all this rental bullshit and they are worth about $160,000,000,000 And that's just the top 2 guys.

I've got some bad news...

• Not sustainable? Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer made their money before all this rental bullshit and they are worth about $160,000,000,000 And that's just the top 2 guys.

Correct. And how many versions of Windows and DOS have we had to purchase? I started on PC's with DOS 3.0. The MS guys also had something that Scirra doesn't, a virtual monopoly on OS's that started with IBM. Scirra is facing a market saturated with programming IDE's.

The problem with the one-off model in a saturated market is that you have to WAIT for someone to WANT your product in order to make money off of it. In my occupation it's called the "break-fix" model. I have to wait for you to break it before I can fix it and charge you gobs of money doing so. The HUGE problem with that is, I never know if I'm going to be able to feed my self next week because I have no steady, consistent income. IF you have a monopoly on your product and do great marketing like DOS and Windows then yea, you'll make gobs of money just like they did. IF you're in a competitive market and you product or service isn't the only one out there, you have no idea if your business will be open next week or if you'll be sleeping in the gutter. That's ESPECIALLY true if you're a small indy company working in a garage (gee, I think Bill and Steve did that) with no financial backing.

I for one have no problem with the subscription model. Ashley and Tom gain the confidence that their business is stable enough that they can hire more employees to give an even better product and even better service.

A few years ago when I first purchased C2, you rarely saw any Scirra member on the forum. I'd post an issue and never get an official response. Now? I see them on here daily solving problems for their customers. THAT's the difference I'm willing to invest in.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There are reasons and arguments for everything.

There are arguments for making online software and for making it one-time payment.

Scirra decided the online service.

you decide what is best for you and with that everything will be fine.

• I was paying almost $1000 each year to Autodesk, for what they called..... actually I forgot what they called it. Basically same thing as subscription, but with one major difference. I stopped paying when they killed off Softimage, my favorite 3D program. They switched me over to Maya which I still haven't touched to this day. After complaints from customers they decided to let us use Softimage in perpetuity and I can also use the latest version of Maya I had when I quit. That is a major difference

With these current rentals ( Adobe, MSoft ) if you quit you cannot use anything once you quit, which is basically a "fuck you" to the customer. It's not about money at all, like I said I was paying almost $1000 per year for years for my 3D stuff. So there should be a way for people to continue using whatever the latest version was when they decided to quit.

I quit because they killed off Softimage, but I could have quit even earlier because most of these 3D programs have been the same since around 2005. They just added minor nonsense every year. Which brings me to Construct 3. How long has it been out? Absolutely nothing has been added that cannot be done with Construct 2 one way or the other, maybe addition of javascript now is something new. Subscription model just promotes complacency. Customers have to keep paying so they can edit their files. With you buy it you use it forever model software companies actually have to come up with something new to get customers to upgrade. Adobe, Autodesk and MSoft are great examples of that

So, for some people all these little upgrades may be nice, for me they mean nothing so far. It is just another way of doing the same thing I have already done in Construct 2. Then when I and some others ask for things that really matter to us, making sure we can seamlessly integrate ads into all versions of our games we get some snappy response almost like how dare we ask for something like that.

So Construct is great for making games, faster than any other engine, but if you want to use ads to cash in then...........

And to be fair I should mention that most software eventually reaches a point where there is nothing left to add. What difference does it make whether you use Photoshop 2020 or Photoshop 2005. For 99% of users same thing. That is probably one of the reasons Adobe decided to go rental.

• How long has it been out? Absolutely nothing has been added that cannot be done with Construct 2 one way or the other, maybe addition of javascript now is something new.

So Construct is great for making games, faster than any other engine, but if you want to use ads to cash in then...........

Construct 3 has a Build Service that allows you to easily and quickly export your game to mobile and has active support on mobile advert and IAPs.

So what you are asking is already added to Construct 3 and actively supported which is a major difference with C2.

JavaScript is actually a huge addition, search feature that is a life saver for anyone actually making complex projects, the reworked Functions and even more already in and more to come.

Saying "nothing is added" is either unfair or an uneducated assessment.

• Absolutely nothing has been added that cannot be done with Construct 2 one way or the other

There's absolutely tons new in Construct 3, including a whole new runtime engine with vastly improved performance, timelines, JavaScript coding, a dozen new plugins/behaviors, etc. etc... I really think it's absurd at this point to try to portray Construct 3 as having "nothing new".

• So, for some people all these little upgrades may be nice, for me they mean nothing so far.

Nice? While goofing off I found an 'issue' involving lots of sprites. In the very next patch, that issue was drastically improved.

In all of my 55 years, once... and only ONCE... have I found an issue, made it known and had a dev team release a fix in the next patch. ONCE mind you.

There's an old joke about plumbers charging too much money.

The customer asks, "Is the shit out of the tub?"

The plumber nods his head.

The customer says, "Here's your money."

Yea, that's pretty nice.

Do all companies work like this? Oh hell no. Am I willing to support those that do? Ashley , "Here's your money."

• BadMario has diverted from the original topic of discussion. Is OP wasting their time entering tons of bugs for Construct 2 : yes.

• In all of my 55 years, once... and only ONCE... have I found an issue, made it known and had a dev team release a fix in the next patch. ONCE mind you.

And I and some others have been asking for better ad implementation ( or in some cases any ad implementations at all ) for over 3 years and nothing. There is zero HTML 5 ad support and mobile ads and IAP are not as reliable as they should be.

That is what I am saying. For some people these "new" additions are nice, for me they are irrelevant because I figured out how to do the same thing way back with Construct 2. What do I need a timeline for. Flash had a timeline, when I moved to Construct I simply figured out a way to do the same thing without an actual timeline. I am not saying it is not useful to others, but things I find useful are not in there.

I do have subscription to Construct 3, but I am not using it, I have no need for it so far. I used the export option to try some things that's it so far.

For the original poster, yeah, don't expect bug fixes. I continue to use Softimage and live with bugs it has and they will never get fixed because nobody's working on it. Construct 2, probably same thing by now or very soon, works fine, nothing too buggy I can't get around. I intend to keep using it as long as it works and does what I need it to do

Saying "nothing is added" is either unfair or an uneducated assessment.

That is not what I said. I said: "Nothing that can't be done with Construct 2, one way or another"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)