The Big NW.js Roundup - News & Tips

From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • So, I'm still getting the occasional hiccup where I will try to preview the game in NW.js and the loading bar will just freeze. After closing the NW.js window the computer will seize up as if its CPU is maxed out.

This happens maybe every ~5 times I start up NW.js. It used to be a chronic problem before update 0.30.4. (IIRC), so whatever was done in that update helped, but seems I'm still having intermittent issues. What to do?

I can't help much with the info you shared.

• OS + system info
    • Construct 2 version
    • NWjs version(s) affected
    • Latest NWjs release tested?
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C2 is the the latest 277 64-bit, installed the latest NW.js version last night and still had the issue crop up a few times.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version: 10.0.18362 Build 18362

System Type: x64-based PC

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 3/27/2012

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Embedded Controller Version: 255.255

BIOS Mode: Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer: ASRock

BaseBoard Product: 970 Extreme3

NW.js version affected have been all since about 0.30.4. I say "all" but I update NW.js sporadically, so it's more like all that I've tried since 0.30.4. Before that version, the issue was a lot more frequent (almost every time I started up NW.js), and when my PC would hang up it seemed to last longer. A strange issue indeed.

• C2 is the the latest 277 64-bit, installed the latest NW.js version last night and still had the issue crop up a few times. ...

NW.js version affected have been all since about 0.30.4. I say "all" but I update NW.js sporadically, so it's more like all that I've tried since 0.30.4. Before that version, the issue was a lot more frequent (almost every time I started up NW.js), and when my PC would hang up it seemed to last longer. A strange issue indeed.

Your hardware seems fine, unless you run a system with less than 1gb memory available. If the package.json files are not edited, then it's not that either. I would check if your antivirus software, perhaps blocks NWjs at some point.

If nothing helps, you could try to remove the temporally preview folder that NWjs creates [E.g. C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\PROJECTNAME (preview)]. NWjs preview savedata is marked with (preview) next to the project name. This will remove any game specific savedata.

Example:

• I use C3 stable to build NWjs updates. But the main .exe always has the default NW application icon. It never uses my "icon-128.png" in the project file. Where do I make it switch over?

Also I know nothing of what version of NWjs, I just hit Export, am I supposed to manually update it or is C3 Stable synced with the latest NWjs?

• I use C3 stable to build NWjs updates. But the main .exe always has the default NW application icon. It never uses my "icon-128.png" in the project file. Where do I make it switch over?

By default NWjs only applies the icon image when launching your game. Check out "HOW TO: SET YOUR OWN APPLICATION ICON" in order to know how to replace the native app icon.

Also I know nothing of what version of NWjs, I just hit Export, am I supposed to manually update it or is C3 Stable synced with the latest NWjs?

Construct 3 should give you an option to select the NWjs version during export.

• I'm referring to this message in the 'Features' "HOW TO: SET YOUR OWN APPLICATION ICON" section.

I assume I am using the most recent version no? Or does this not apply to C3?

• I'm referring to this message in the 'Features' "HOW TO: SET YOUR OWN APPLICATION ICON" section.

I assume I am using the most recent version no? Or does this not apply to C3?

It's being automatically applied to the window icon itself, not the native app icon.

• ah okay I understand now. So the best practice is to use ResHack still?

When I use ResHack it makes a back up of the original exe. But the new exe is a different file size, so I have no idea what its doing.

also your link to ResHack in the OP is broken.

• ah okay I understand now. So the best practice is to use ResHack still?

When I use ResHack it makes a back up of the original exe. But the new exe is a different file size, so I have no idea what its doing.

Icons can be quite big in size, so it's expected. The original exe backup is normal as mentioned.

also your link to ResHack in the OP is broken.

Works fine for me. I don't know what's going wrong on your end.

• the link is fine now... must have been down or something.

I would note maybe in your doc that when ResHack changes the icon you don't see the change until...actually I'm not sure, maybe reboot or you copy the file over? Normal F5 Refresh doesn't work. And it will not show the changed icon when it in fact HAS been changed.

I would note maybe in your doc that when ResHack changes the icon you don't see the change until...actually I'm not sure, maybe reboot or you copy the file over? Normal F5 Refresh doesn't work. And it will not show the changed icon when it in fact HAS been changed.

That's a Windows problem. It always had strict icon caching, still to this day with Win10. As you already found out, copying the file or rebooting usually fixes it.

Yeah that's windows caching, if you rename the file or copy it to another directory, you'll see the new icon.

• Anybody else having issues with Steam Overlay in NWJS 0.44.0 on Windows? Here's my chromium args, am I missing something or is something I added in addition to in-process and direct-comp breaking it??

"chromium-args": "--disable-plugins --disable-internal-flash --disable-popup-blocking --enable-gamepad --enable-html5-camera --allow-file-access-from-files --ignore-gpu-blacklist --force-device-scale-factor=1 --disable-gpu-vsync --limit-fps=60 --disable-devtools --in-process-gpu --disable-direct-composition"

• Anybody else having issues with Steam Overlay in NWJS 0.44.0 on Windows? Here's my chromium args, am I missing something or is something I added in addition to in-process and direct-comp breaking it??

Tested using NWjs 0.44.0, matching prebuilds and the required "--in-process-gpu" chromium arg. Everything works fine on my end.

Only thing that comes to mind is that your game canvas might not be constantly refreshing. Check out "How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Not Refreshing" for more info on that.

• Danny can you post a full list of the chromium args you're using?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)