Astounding performance hit on Edge

  • So I've been tinkering around with exporting my current project as a UWP 10 app and testing on the Xbox One. In Chrome/Nw.js the game runs at a smooth 60fps and has very manageable cpu utilization. However, when running in Edge on PC the cpu utilization is over 300% greater (growing as high as 94%), with a dip in fps from 60 to the 40s (at times). Even worse, when testing on the Xbox the game becomes completely unplayable - or at least, enjoyable due to the severity of these issues. I have to believe this is an issue with the Edge browser and the way it handles javascript (at least on PC, I assume the UWP wrapper is contributing to problems on the Xbox). I'm wondering if others have run into these performance issues and what they've done to try and counteract them??

    What I've tried regarding rectification:

    1) lowering polygon points

    2) lowering amount of every tick specifiers to make triggers more dynamic (which did benefit performance few percentage points)

    3) Lowering the amount of objects on screen (This works in this project, but is still too constraining to develop cross platform)

    My general feeling is that object count should be the culprit, as objects (with collision/poly checks) appear to hit Edge performance in a separate project, but after testing this does not seem to consistently answer the question as to where the problem lies. Perhaps it is more global? Any personal experience developing on Edge and Xbox One, regardless of outcome, is welcome and appreciated.

  • Sounds more like a Webgl issue.

  • Sounds more like a Webgl issue.

    Thank you for responding!

    Yikes!! This leads to new questions! newt have you run across this before? What makes it feel like a webgl issue? And perhaps most importantly, can I do anything about this?

  • Try Construct 3

    Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

    Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • First I would check if Edge has it enabled using the renderer expression.

    If its canvas2d then its not getting the benefits of hardware acceleration, there's not much you can do other than try to update video drivers.

  • First I would check if Edge has it enabled using the renderer expression.

    If its canvas2d then its not getting the benefits of hardware acceleration, there's not much you can do other than try to update video drivers.

    Great! I’ll look into this when I get home tonight! *fingers crossed!*

    newt Yeah, webgl is on, indeed. I'm using the paster plugin so perhaps it's something going on with that and Edge...

  • Edge supports WebGL. (canvas2d can be hardware accelerated too, but is normally still slower due to higher CPU overhead.) Make sure you haven't turned off WebGL!

    I think the most common issue is people test on Xbox using the "Debug" mode, which has a high performance overhead for diagnostic purposes. Try switching it to "Release" for high performance testing.

  • R0j0's Paster plug is webgl, its his Canvas plug that is not.

  • Ashley Thank you for responding! Webgl is definitely on. I just tried running things out of the debugging mode and performance is still quite bad. Also, that huge increase in overhead is occurring when I test from using Edge from C2 as well (albeit, while the game runs well enough to play on PC in from the C2 editor, the CPU usage hangs around 90%). For some reason Chrome runs everything perfectly fine (60fps, and CPU usage around the high 20s and low 30s).

    newt Yeah, I couldn't recall at the time whether paster could run without webgl on so I tried when getting home to find that indeed it won't. I'm trying to get a splitscreen multiplayer working...perhaps I should try using canvas to do the heavy lifting and have smaller paster objects? I'm not too sure what performance differences between the two would look like.

  • newt EDIT add: ...albeit, I've tried creating another project with tons of (read: waaaay more) objects and collision/poly checks with paster splitscreen to stress test the xbox and it should perform way worse but it actually does much better (though the CPU usage is still quite high and fps hangs around the mid 40s).This was actually my initial response a few days before posting this topic, because I assumed a 3rd party plugin must have been causing the hit (I used identical events to create the splitscreen, building and exporting piece by piece to locate the limit). With the ability to actually play the test at an acceptable (by comparison) fps might indicate something else is at play?

  • Split screens will always half performance, and my experience is if you think you might have too many objects then you probably do.

  • Split screens will always hafe performance, and my experience is if you think you might have too many objects then you probably do.

    Hmmm I hear you , I just don’t know why that wouldn’t be the case across all browsers. A jump from 20-30% to the 90s is no where near comperable. Also these are pretty tight controlled testing levels, at the moment, whose object counts have been dwarfed and outperformed by stress test projects (though those are not stellar on Edge either).

    On the Xbox itself the fps drops off to the mid teens, essentially a 75-80% drop off. No animations or props aside from pickups. We’re talking bare rectangular sprites running around.

  • Okay! After really looking around I’ve found tons of posts about crazy cpu utilization and memory issues in Edge with some posts being as recent as 3 days ago https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10 ... pdate.html . I’ll keep looking into this and trying things but if anyone has any Macguyver ideas I’m game to try anything!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)