Anyone used Electron or DecSoft to convert C2 games into exe

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Find pleasure in juggling balls with this basic HTML5 template
  • So, are you saying that Scirra won't allow armaldio to publish the Electron plugin? Or I misunderstood something?

Why would we allow people to advertise ways to circumvent the free edition restrictions? That breaks our whole business model.

• Why would we allow people to advertise ways to circumvent the free edition restrictions? That breaks our whole business model.

That is true. Hm... I have a quick idea (could be a bad one): For C3 you could make some restrictions to the plugin system to limit what plugins could work with the free version, so the plugin developers can set these up for themselves. If you already have to filter out such plugins that goes around the license restrictions, you could also check that whether the developer set up the restriction right or not. That way the business model shouldn't be damaged and users could experiment and test methods like Electron.

• Ashley is right though, technically this is against the free edition license.

I guess it is too late now since people can actually see this topic, so how do we go on with this?

Are we forced to close this or are we allowed to go on and only share the plugin + "exporter" with people that actually own a license?

• >

> Count me in! I freaking hate NodeWebKit...

> Would kill a puppy for any valid alternative.

>

I mean you could create a NWjs program using C2 with Arduino + plugin, run it using a Raspberry Pi 2

and put it inside a beach ball so that it rolls around by itself, basically a perfect toy for a puppy.

Wait a second, you didn't ask for this.

HAHAHAHAHA! That was golden!

• *GIF HERE*

HAHAHAHAHA! That was golden!

More a joke on the level of a "noseblower" but I appreciate that you've enjoyed it. (Feel free to get rich with the idea.)

Well, sometimes you gotta try to lighten the mood with jokes like these.

Damn I didn't know that the forums also support gif's, you shouldn't have taught me that one.

• Are we forced to close this or are we allowed to go on and only share the plugin + "exporter" with people that actually own a license?

But how do we do that? How can we be sure that no free-edition user can download it?

• But how do we do that? How can we be sure that no free-edition user can download it?

Put it in a .rar archive with a password, only close friends and trusted people will receive the content and password.

I don't see any other way than doing this based on trust.

This is kinda like the problem that we have with plugins that you can buy on the store, it only takes 1 person

to illegally upload the plugin somewhere and everybody else will be able to get it.

• >

> *GIF HERE*

> HAHAHAHAHA! That was golden!

>

More a joke on the level of a "noseblower" but I appreciate that you've enjoyed it. (Feel free to get rich with the idea.)

Well, sometimes you gotta try to lighten the mood with jokes like these.

Damn I didn't know that the forums also support gif's, you shouldn't have taught me that one.

No good magicial shares secrets to his best tricks

• > So, are you saying that Scirra won't allow armaldio to publish the Electron plugin? Or I misunderstood something?

>

Why would we allow people to advertise ways to circumvent the free edition restrictions? That breaks our whole business model.

Ashley

Isn't free edition limited to 100 events?

NW.js is regularly updated and AFAIK is robust enough for several games to have been published to Steam with it.

Could you help out with issue that was brought up here with nwjs and steam:

I'm pretty far in my project and I'd love if you could tell how to handle those issues that were brought up in that thread.

I got interested in electron personally because I assumed I won't have problems mentioned in that thread I've linked. I'm not yet sure how to create installer, what to put in that .bat file and how to link dxwebsetup on top of everything so there would be one neat installer/uninstaller for game handling everything thats required by steam. There are blog posts on Scirra about games that are on steam - but there are no clear instructions to people how to actually prepare properly installer.

There aren't that many steam developers but I'd say they are pushing limits and showing world what can be done with C2, when you are focused on creating something grander.

• Ashley

Isn't free edition limited to 100 events?

Yes, and there are other limitations too besides that.

[quote:1t0sv5wr]Could you help out with issue that was brought up here with nwjs and steam:

Which, specifically? The thread is mainly about writing a cleanup script for Steam, which doesn't seem to be that specific to NW.js, and AFAIK was resolved by the developer. There's also no reason to think Electron would be different in that regard.

• Ashley I can understand your point, but the owner of a license shouldn't be limited just because of what the free version users can do, there is even a tutorial older than the node webkit exporter (back in the days of awesomium) explaining how to export to it: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/417/ou ... ode-webkit , maybe there won't be any improvement with electron, but it should not be simply a forbidden discussion just for that, as you said, there is a license, that is the legal protection.

...unless we had a suforum for licensed user based on the badge but I am dreaming and users of the steam version won't have access to it.

• Hello Guys, I am sorry to be out of the blue here. But I have a suggestion though.

Ashley , if you can get Tom to add the exporter + plugin to the store as an additional item on the Scirra Store Download Item Page to those who bought the Personal / Business License. I think it will be safer that way.

What do you think?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hello Guys, I am sorry to be out of the blue here. But I have a suggestion though.

Ashley , if you can get Tom to add the exporter + plugin to the store as an additional item on the Scirra Store Download Item Page to those who bought the Personal / Business License. I think it will be safer that way.

What do you think?

Some people might not be able to use it if, like me, their licences are associated with a closed email address. Tom told me to leave it and wouldn't migrate my account, so here I am, looking like a non-buyer....

PS, On topic, I think electron sounds new and shiny, but I doubt there'll be any major difference between it and nwjs. I would love to be wrong, but I saw nothing in that comparison other than it being slightly more limited than nw is.

• Some people might not be able to use it if, like me, their licences are associated with a closed email address. Tom told me to leave it and wouldn't migrate my account, so here I am, looking like a non-buyer....

Ohh yeah.... Website problems.

Why am I not surprised!

PS, On topic, I think electron sounds new and shiny, but I doubt there'll be any major difference between it and nwjs. I would love to be wrong, but I saw nothing in that comparison other than it being slightly more limited than nw is.

I think so too, I would normally say that we have more important C2 problems to deal with and it would be better to focus on finding a way to improve NW.js. BUT since there is someone that kindly volunteered to develop some alternative. I wouldn't want that to go to waste.

Like glerikud said, the more options the better.

• If someone is willing to be a hero ( - that means you!) and is making a plugin to enable this then I will surely give it a go! I have boom-bust fatigue regarding the continual cycle of new NWjs roll-outs that offer little more than Steam or other plugin incompatibility problems.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)