Anyone for a c2 wiki?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • I know, I know, there was a thread in 2013 about this and it was suggested that the tutorials were probably a better place to store community knowledge.... so the idea died with that conclusion.

I think history has shown that maybe the tutorials are not the best place to store community/collective knowledge. Aside from the fact that they have been closed for a while now - they were not configured for data input by multiple users and the very broad indexing means that it's hard for anyone to browse to info they might be interested in learning about.

What I request is that the establishment of a c2 wiki is considered (and implemented ). This would allow information regarding 3rd party plugins and wrappers - like cocoon.io and nw.js - to be be kept in one easy to read and accessible place. If someone discovers a new method of beating a chrome driver denial system then they could add it to the exporters/html5 section. Presently, most really useful info is often embedded inside one of many multi-page forums - and some real gems are hidden away. Anyone know to quickly find the latest nw export hacks, for example? No - me neither...

The sharing of c2 info could be better in this regard.... and I don't think an off-site non-scirra solution would benefit the community. So, do you also think that the establishment of a c2 wiki would be useful?

Thanks.

• There's this one that's been up for a bit:

• Ooooh - shiney! Thanks R0J0hound - checking it out now!

OK, not quite what I was hoping for unfortunately. Looks a bit neglected - no bad on the author who did a great job of setting it up - maybe it needs some love?! But I am cautious about 3rd party solutions (as always) because what if the server's bills aren't paid - what happens to all of the data etc. I would much prefer a scirra.com solution.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • At first I thought it sounded very much like a manual, but when you mentioned 3rd party plugins and wrappers, I think this would be great! Most plugins and wrappers are not easy to understand for the beginners. And if it is like wiki in that other people can contribute, people might even be able to share their performance stats regarding those plugins and wrappers. Especially likes the fact that everything will be on 1 page or area which makes it easy to find and study.

• At first I thought it sounded very much like a manual, but when you mentioned 3rd party plugins and wrappers, I think this would be great! Most plugins and wrappers are not easy to understand for the beginners. And if it is like wiki in that other people can contribute, people might even be able to share their performance stats regarding those plugins and wrappers. Especially likes the fact that everything will be on 1 page or area which makes it easy to find and study.

Yes - thanks - I think that one of the strengths of c2 is the community (if it is not THE strength). In fact, if the community was like some others I've experienced then I think c2 would be dead in the water....

I accept that moderating a c2 wiki could be a challenge - there are plenty here with a rep of < 1000 who know way more than I ever will about c2 or javascript and, conversely, there are some with a rep of > 10000 who I don't think should be allowed anywhere near such a valuable stash of information. Perhaps some champions could be selected to add bits of various useful info after a collective has been agreed in the forum. I don't know - I don't have a monopoly on ideas, I'm just experimenting with potential solutions to a limitation.... Ramble over!

• I think this is a very appealing idea as even I get tired of searching the depths of the forum for simple solutions. And it will be great if it is on Scirra domain as it will be 'official' and won't get neglected.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)