Alternative for Cocoon

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Template for an alternative to falling shapes, fully documented in comments and video
  • Hi,

As you all must know,cocoon is almost completely dead and its a big headache as intel xdk has also died,

the performance with webview plus and canvas plus were much better as they add a browser inside the game,

now only phonegap is left and the game compiled with it only give you a simple compiled game which lags and is very slow compared to webview plus, crosswalk or cocoon canvas plus

Please share a better way to compile game for better performance.....

• Hi newt

but will it be any different in performance than what we are getting with phonegap or cocoon webview(formerly)(webview, not talking about webview plus)......?

• what i mean to say is that i can still compile my game easily with phonegap, but the performance is poor and i want the performance i was getting with cocoon webview plus or cocoon plus or intel xdk crosswalk (i.e the apk is built with its own browser integrated in it that enhances performance), is there any alternative to get that performance?

• Webview on Phonegap should be no different than Webview on the cli.

Perhaps something else is going on.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • newt thats what i thought too.

Anyone else who knows on how to compile construct games for high permormance(like it was in webview plus and cocoon canvas)....

Please help guys its a huge issue and people are suffering who have paid for cocoon services as it is not live anymore...

Please someone suggest an alternative here.. as how can we publish games with poor performances... May be Ashley could help here...?

• Most of the time games should run fine with the normal Cordova export. Poor performance is usually caused by a small number of devices that have buggy or broken graphics drivers that force the device to drop down to software rendering. There's not a lot that can be done about it, it's because the device has poor support for native OpenGL.

• Most of the time games should run fine with the normal Cordova export. Poor performance is usually caused by a small number of devices that have buggy or broken graphics drivers that force the device to drop down to software rendering. There's not a lot that can be done about it, it's because the device has poor support for native OpenGL.

Ashley i have with a brand new device "nokia 6.1 plus" every app runs smooth on it, also other devices run other apps smoothly but the apps i export to cordova (without webview plus or canvas plus) runs slow and the slowing increases with size of the game.

Now i have seen most of the popular games (temple run, candy crush, subway surfers) have 60-100mb size and that kind of suggests that they have an inbuilt browser to keep the performance steady, what can i do to get that inbuilt browser to get a steady performance too now that cocoon is dead...

Note: May be small games run smoothly with just cordova but all my medium sized games show decline in performance as compared to webview plus or canvas plus, and now i have even bigger game (about 3300 events, 600 objetcs, 125 layouts) so can you please suggest some way to integrate an inbuilt browser or an option like cocoon webview plus or canvas plus. i am already dealing with the cocoon plugins i added not working with phonegap etc. please help!

• The vast majority of devices should work fine. These days Andriod devices have the browser engine built in to the system, and it updates with the latest Chrome browser. So make sure your device has any available software updates installed. If it still doesn't work very well, file an issue at crbug.com so Google can investigate it.

Using the system default webview is by far the best solution and the goal should be to ensure that works robustly for everyone. Relying on hacky workarounds generally brings its own set of problems - often worse problems - and after long enough those hacks themselves break down, which I think people are discovering yet again. Modern web tech is very good and nobody should have any good reasons not to rely on it, but if there are still issues, let's focus on fixing them instead of resorting to the next round of crazy hacks that will inevitably fail in some other way later down the line.

• You are right, thanks!

• You are totally right about not relying on workaround hacks and i dont want to, there is just one major problem that is keeping me from publishing my game and its the loader layout of my game, there are two situations in which it works fine

1. when i compile my game with webview plus and canvas plus, it works great in all the devices

2. When i compile it with just cordova webview, it works fine in new phones but not in phones i bought just a year ago (like sony xperia xa and micromax canvas) it just stucks on 80% and never completes

So i dont know what to do other than to find a way to compile my game with its own browser, i also did posted the issue in general c2 forum asking the possible reasons for this loader layout stuck,

Is there a way to solve this? So that i could finally compile my game with phonegap and publish it.

• The first step to figure out what's going on is set up USB debugging and inspect it with Chrome and see if there are any errors logged in the console:

https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/remote-debugging/

• i will do it and will post it if i found anything...

Thanks!

Ashley It seems the performance issues are not small number of devices, it looks like it is most lower end or mid-range phones. said he has performance issue on Nokia 6.1 Plus. This phone was released around 1 month ago. Could it be that only phone with Snapdragon 800+ have acceptable performance? Even the most basic games stutter horribly on mid-range phone.

Modern web tech is very good and nobody should have any good reasons not to rely on it, but if there are still issues, let's focus on fixing them instead of resorting to the next round of crazy hacks that will inevitably fail in some other way later down the line.

I have took your advice and reported the issues to Google. I specifically mentioned that Chome has good performance but Webview is not as good. Here is the bug report: bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail

They closed it as ‘WontFix’ and stated the following in that bug report:

“Tried on a samsung galaxy tab 4 10.1. Looks like the whole thing is swap bound. Each eglSwapBuffers is taking close to 15ms already, which is most of the frame budget already. The problem is not as severe on chrome because chrome owns the surface its drawing into and has entire control over scheduling GPU work. Webview doesn't have that luxury, and there is nothing webview can do here.”

Using the system default webview is by far the best solution and the goal should be to ensure that works robustly for everyone. Relying on hacky workarounds generally brings its own set of problems - often worse problems - and after long enough those hacks themselves break down, which I think people are discovering yet again.

If default Webview is by far the best solution, workarounds are not feasible and Google acknowledged that the performance is bad and will not fix the problem, then what options do we have?

Crosswalk is no longer an option, Cocoons Webview+ is also not an option. If a month old phone has performance that is bad and google will not do anything about it and says “there is nothing webview can do here”, than this problem will continue indefinitely. What can we do?

• I learned how to do remote debugging today and found that there are multiple errors(253) logged in console when loader layout progress freezes, they all talk about the same error given below -

"Error loading image 'file:///android_asset/www/images/tiled_background6.png': Event

img_.onerror c2runtime.js:4593"

Here is a screenshot of the logged errors -

Note: I tried again after removing cocoon plugins but result was the same, just the errors were reduced from 253 to 249.

Note 2:Everything works fine when tested with Nokia 6.1 plus and no errors were logged! Just the performance was a little low.

I googled the error but didn't get a clue of what to do next? little help please...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)